Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
EllinK
Mouseketeer

Help 2littlestitches!

I love the idea of Australia and the itinerary sounds great for our family -- lots of activities and animals/wildlife. But for the 3 of us w/o airfare --
nearly $25k!!!!

You said that you are having trouble pulling the trigger on Costa Rica. Wasn't Australia even more?

Tell me -- was the trip phenomenal? Could it possibly be worth $25K!
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
2littlestitches
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllinK View Post
I love the idea of Australia and the itinerary sounds great for our family -- lots of activities and animals/wildlife. But for the 3 of us w/o airfare --
nearly $25k!!!!

You said that you are having trouble pulling the trigger on Costa Rica. Wasn't Australia even more?

Tell me -- was the trip phenomenal? Could it possibly be worth $25K!
It was pretty darn amazing! The trip has changed a bit now from when we went, but it was a once in a lifetime thing, for sure. Wish I could go on trips like that all the time, but unfortunately it's not possible. But I'll say this, if I could go on an ABD each and every year, I would! I would, no doubt about it. As far as the quality and experiences with ABD I am sold. It's just not something I realistically can do, although I would love it if I could.
December 2009: 4 Night Bahamian (New Years Eve) Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
July 2010: 12 Night Northern European Capitals Cruise (Baltic) aboard the Disney Magic
July 2011: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
March 2014: 3 Night Bahamian Cruise aboard the Disney Dream

Too many WDW trips to count, and several Disneyland California trips.
One amazing trip to Disneyland Paris!
D23's Journey to Marceline, MO - March 2012
5 awesome nights at Aulani - June/July 2014

Best trip ever...Adventures By Disney Australia in 2008.
2littlestitches is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifdog22 View Post
But I really wanted to address lurkenj's note. We've seen things "go wrong" on each of our ABD trips. If we were not with Disney, and had done this on our own - it would have been a trip ending disaster.

On the last trip, in South Africa (the old version of the trip before they cut out the garden route) we were preparing to fly to Kapama for our Safari. We arrived at the airport with plenty of lead time, and were told to go enjoy the shops, etc. in the airport, and be at the gate 10 minutes prior to departure. It was a huge airport, with much to see and do. We all gathered at the gate, just prior to departure, and one of the ladies (a nice 70+ year old) spoke up and said, gosh, she couldn't find her boarding pass. The airline said, well, too bad for you. ADB was on the phone to the airport manager within seconds (how do they do that?) and within a minute a call was placed to the gate agent and a replacement pass was delivered. Try to do that on your own.

Oh, and this was a couple of days after Osama Bin Ladin was killed, and security on any airline with Americans was substantially higher. The power of the mouse is never to be underestimated.

In Peru, we were mid tour when domestic unrest resulted. Roads were closed and blockaided. We had no idea; Disney "adjusted" the tour, so we were kept busy with fun things to do. Ultimately, when we were "stuck" between cities and it was nightfall, they negotiated passage for us, and the Disney guides were out in the street moving the roadblocks, having done "something" with the locals to pacify them. The hotel would not even originally open the door to let us in! That night we could hear gunfire in the streets. The guides assured the kids it was just fireworks. no worries! We were kept safe, secure, and had a hell of a great trip. Not a position I would want to be in on my own.

I could go on and on...but those who have travelled with ABD know that not only do they handle crisis very well but they make travel and touring, especially with kids, exactly what twolittlestiches talks about - it is a level of living that is not otherwise available to us "normal" people.
Wow, Grifdog22! Both of those situations are more than a little scary! And yes, that is definitely one of the benefits of traveling with a company like ABD that is not really advertised! I know I feel much better traveling abroad when I know that the Adventure Guides and ABD are on my side, trying to keep us safe and making things go as seamlessly as possible. I remember reading when they had that fire in the Chunnel, and the trains were not going back and forth. Folks on the Knights & Lights ABD found themselves on a bus taking the ferry across the channel, as arranged by ABD. Try figuring out something like that on your own, too!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
2littlestitches
Mouseketeer

Update on our plans

Hi there, fellow ABD lovers! I just wanted to send out a warm thank you for all of the advice and opinions you gave to me earlier this month regarding my decision on a summer trip. Also, I wanted to update you on what we finally decided....

After a ton of back and forth, back and forth, and much debate & numbers crunching, we decided to try going to Costa Rica on our own (not with ABD) using my neighbor's Costa Rica travel agent. It pains me to even say that, but that's what we are doing. Really hoping we have a great trip, and really excited about some of our hotels and activities. Trying to put the Costa Rica ABD out of my head for the moment, LOL.

My commitment to Disney remains strong, though, because we've decided on a big Disney trip for 2014, with the Med cruise from Venice to Barcelona. We are now booked on that cruise and quite excited for that big adventure. Oh, and a few trips to WDW and DL are also forthcoming (gotta get the most out of this dual annual pass, ya know!)

Anyway, thanks again for your advice, and I know I'll be back here asking a ton of questions the next time I'm thinking of booking another ABD. In the mean time, you can probably find me on the Disney Cruise Line portion of the boards. And if any of you need info on the Australia ABD or DCL, I'm always here!

Thanks so much!!!!
July 2010: 12 Night Northern European Capitals Cruise (Baltic) aboard the Disney Magic

Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
abacab
Mouseketeer

You will have an awesome time in Costa Rica. We did it a few years ago on our own... basically rented a car and copied most of the ABD itinerary. It was very easy and lots of fun. We also added Montezuma, which was a real highlight of the trip... staying in a bungalow on the beach for a couple of days.

We are doing our first ABD trip this summer... to China. Sounds amazing (though very expensive)... my only concern is that it is a completely full trip (44 guests). Seems like a lot of people to be traveling with.

We are also booked on the Venice-to-Barcelona cruise in 2014, same as you. ... very very excited about that!

Happy travels!
abacab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
2littlestitches
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacab View Post
You will have an awesome time in Costa Rica. We did it a few years ago on our own... basically rented a car and copied most of the ABD itinerary. It was very easy and lots of fun. We also added Montezuma, which was a real highlight of the trip... staying in a bungalow on the beach for a couple of days.

We are doing our first ABD trip this summer... to China. Sounds amazing (though very expensive)... my only concern is that it is a completely full trip (44 guests). Seems like a lot of people to be traveling with.

We are also booked on the Venice-to-Barcelona cruise in 2014, same as you. ... very very excited about that!

Happy travels!
We are on the same cruise!!! Have you made it to the meets board yet? I've never been to Venice nor Greece, but was in Barcelona on the Magic for the Med cruise a few years back. Excited about it, for sure!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

I felt the same way Bout the cowboy trip out west. I booked it on my own and the trip mirrored the abd in many ways. I would love to try an abd soon though. I gave traveled to many if their itin on my own and would tweak some of the trips to suit my own tastes but feel they offerings are fabulous. Hope your cr trip is amazing. I have heard its very doable on your own and its on my short list! I am very intrigued by the Saigon, Laos trip and that us one I would not feel comfortable doing on my own!
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #23
Taramcc73
Earning My Ears

Do you think some trips are geared more towards adults only? I know they have actual adults only trips as well but what about the regular trips - is it still worth the money if it was 2 adults?
Taramcc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramcc73 View Post
Do you think some trips are geared more towards adults only? I know they have actual adults only trips as well but what about the regular trips - is it still worth the money if it was 2 adults?
It depends on how you feel about traveling with kids. The trips themselves are not changed that much (if at all) for the Adults Only trips (except to omit doing the Junior Adventurers activities separately). So really the difference is: Are there kids on the trip or not? If you don't mind traveling with kids, then, YES! it's still worth the money for 2 adults.

The Adventure Guides are really good at gearing the trips towards all the people who are on the tour. They don't just focus on the kids, or just focus on the Adults. It's an amazing skill.

Sayhello

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #25
jraz
Earning My Ears

Smile Using DVC points for ABD

As I am reading about ABD, because I am thinking of going on one of these trips, I was wondering if any of you are members of the Disney Vacation Club? I am and I know that I can use my points to take these trips. Since my membership is for another 44 years I know I can take my family using my points. Just a thought that if you are taking these trips it may be easier to buy into the vacation club and then use the points for these trips. I know that you would need to purchase around 450 points to make sure that you could go on most of these trips, but then you would also be able to go to other places. I know that right not the points are $140 per point, $63000, but you can finance this and spread the payments out for 10 years. If you are spending 25,000 and 10,000 per trip this maybe the way to go. Just an idea.

But I do have to say reading about some of the bumps in the road are scary and I would be terrified if there wasn't someone there to help take care of those things.
jraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
TexasTravelGirl
Earning My Ears

I COMPLETELY understand. I really want to do the Jewels Trip this year, but I can't justify spending that money that quickly.

I am checking the ABD site every day (I am pretty sure it is borderline lunacy) waiting for 2014 dates. I am planning on booking a trip in Sept of 2014, so I can make smaller justifiable payments, but going to give it as a gift to m husband this Christmas.

So believe me I completely understand. I am pretty sure I am going to eat ramen noodles for the next year, but I told my hubby no WDW in 2014, because I want to travel overseas, he agreed (but is beyond depressed, so I am very excited I came up with this)

I want to do every tour and I mean EVERY tour. Which is the reason I am waiting for the dates, so I can book one and stop changing my mind multiple times a day.

This will be my first tour, and let me tell you I have searched the internet for ONE bad review of a trip... and have not found one. So I am ready to experience it for myself.
01/2011-The Wilderness Lodge, 04/2011- All Star Sports 10/2011 Pop Century, 02/2012- 24 hours in the park Port Orleans, 01/2013Long Lost Friends Week- All Star Sports, 02/13 Honeymoon at the World- Contemporary & Disney's Boardwalk

Upcoming- 09/13 Beach Club
TexasTravelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTravelGirl View Post
I COMPLETELY understand. I really want to do the Jewels Trip this year, but I can't justify spending that money that quickly.

I am checking the ABD site every day (I am pretty sure it is borderline lunacy) waiting for 2014 dates. I am planning on booking a trip in Sept of 2014, so I can make smaller justifiable payments, but going to give it as a gift to m husband this Christmas.

So believe me I completely understand. I am pretty sure I am going to eat ramen noodles for the next year, but I told my hubby no WDW in 2014, because I want to travel overseas, he agreed (but is beyond depressed, so I am very excited I came up with this)

I want to do every tour and I mean EVERY tour. Which is the reason I am waiting for the dates, so I can book one and stop changing my mind multiple times a day.

This will be my first tour, and let me tell you I have searched the internet for ONE bad review of a trip... and have not found one. So I am ready to experience it for myself.
Announcement will be May 22nd. Booking for the general public will be May 23rd.

Sayhello

Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
TexasTravelGirl
Earning My Ears

oh man Sayhello, now I am going to be a lunatic checking everyday.... hahaha May 22nd! yay I am circling that on my calendar right now!

ok it is game time I need to decide which is best for the surprise... time is my biggest factor. I have WAY more PTO than the hubby... so I need it to be one of the shorter trips.
01/2011-The Wilderness Lodge, 04/2011- All Star Sports 10/2011 Pop Century, 02/2012- 24 hours in the park Port Orleans, 01/2013Long Lost Friends Week- All Star Sports, 02/13 Honeymoon at the World- Contemporary & Disney's Boardwalk

Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTravelGirl View Post
oh man Sayhello, now I am going to be a lunatic checking everyday.... hahaha May 22nd! yay I am circling that on my calendar right now!

ok it is game time I need to decide which is best for the surprise... time is my biggest factor. I have WAY more PTO than the hubby... so I need it to be one of the shorter trips.
That is going to be one awesome surprise!

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
TexasTravelGirl
Earning My Ears

We LOVE Disney, but that is all we have been doing the past few years for vacations, I told him I can't do it anymore and I want to see the world. I kinda broke his heart (lol we honeymooned at Dis in Feb, and we are going back in Sept) So I pretty much told him Disney is not getting any more of our money for at least a year. lol Anyway, I feel bad saying no mouse. So I am working hard, and a lot of over time to save and surprise him on Christmas I figure it is a good Compromise. I get Italy, or Germany or England or Maybe Greece lol and he gets the Mouse in a round about way

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: