Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
topsy
Mouseketeer

How do I create decorations for my door?

Hi All,

I'm on the September 2nd Alaska cruise and would love to decorate my door. This is only my second cruise and on my first I had no idea I could've decorated my door, so this time I want to do it properly!

I've seen pictures of some wonderful magnets and posters but have no idea where they come from.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?!

Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsy View Post
Hi All,

I'm on the September 2nd Alaska cruise and would love to decorate my door. This is only my second cruise and on my first I had no idea I could've decorated my door, so this time I want to do it properly!

I've seen pictures of some wonderful magnets and posters but have no idea where they come from.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?!

Thanks
Check over on the Creative DISigns board:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdispla...prune=30&f=105

Download whatever pictures you want and print out, put magnets on the back and there you go.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

At the local Art Supply store (Michael's) I was able to get magnets that can be put on things, magnets that you can print on and magnets white boards.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
MNKelly
Mouseketeer

Word of warning, if you do make your own door magnets, make sure the magnet is fairly strong. I made some for my 1st cruise last week and for the smaller ones, it worked great. For the heavier laminated ones I made, the magnets were not strong enough and didn't stay on the door. I was constantly picking them up from the hallway when my family shut the door.

There are some you can order on-line from e-bay as well. Search e-bay using "Disney stateroom door magnets". Most of them are customizable to your specific information. I ordered one with the name of our ship, cruising date and family name. It was very cute.

Good luck and have fun with it. Definately worth the effort put into decorating your door!

Kelly
MNKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
melglnh2o
DIS Veteran

Have fun! Making magnets is addicting. The DISigners on this forum are amazing!
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
AprilN
A Wilderness Lodge devotee after just one fabulous week!

It's a good idea to laminate, as the humid sea air can cause the paper to curl a bit. An easy way to laminate at home is clear Contact paper - I used it for the door magnets on my Alaska cruise, and it worked great! I've got my DCL name tag magnet on my desk here at work. I ordered 1-inch square magnets off Amazon, and stuck 2-3 on the back of each laminated printout, and everything stayed put, at least on our door on the Wonder.
AprilN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wJ7...ature=youtu.be

Here is a video that we recorded about creating items for your cruise door.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

You can buy printable magnetic glossy sheets that go in any home printer. They come in 8.5x11 sheets available at office supply stores. They work great
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

The printable magnetic sheets are strong enough? Good to know. Last year I brought an expensive (and heavy LOL) magnetic roll with peal and stick backing from Michael's on board. Had a little craft party before we set sail. Felt so good about it. When we came back (and for the rest of the cruise) we always found them slid down or in the hallway. Stood there and watched them glide down the door :-(
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: