Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

I got cornrows last year (and I'm 34!). One word of advice - make sure you put tons of sunscreen on your DD's scalp. I didn't do that and I was in P-A-I-N from sunburn.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
akeogh
Earning My Ears

Cornrow Braiding can really hurt, but there is an alternative....

Just a note that cornrow braiding can really hurt. I saw some girls crying as it was getting done, and the mother was distressed. We were on the Disney Dream this past weekend, and my 9 and 6 year old daughters wanted the braids, but I was skeptical as I didn't want two crying girls on my hands. The girls begged me, so off we went to find "The Braid Lady." She was on the pool deck 11, only during certain hours. We went at 5:30pm, right before our dinner seating. The lady was very nice. She had a book that showed different types of braids. All the examples were of cornrows, but then I saw what looked like regular braids, but "dressed up" because there were beads woven into them. Bingo! Both my girls got 2 plain braids each, one braid on each side of their heads, with pretty beads that they picked out themselves. No cornrows. No crying. And very cheap: I paid $8 total for both girls together, plus I gave a $2 gratuity. And my girls are thrilled. They don't see the difference between the cornrows and the regular braids - all they know is they got Bahama Braids to show off to their friends!
akeogh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

My daughter got hers done the last night of our cruise in January. The lady's were lovely, I think it was $20 with tip- GREAT value. BUT here's my caution. It hurt her like crazy! she complained daily about how bad the braids hurt and that they were giving her a headache. about day 3 or 4 I noticed she was getting a rash around the braids. She didn't want them out, but the doctor siad it was a rash from the trauma of the hair being pulled so tight and if we didn't get them out she could have permanent hair loss there Needless to say the braids came out and my daughter had to put cream on her scalp for a week until the rash healed. It even has a name "corn row rash" look it up....it's kind of scary! I'm not blaming DCL or the braid lady. She pulls that hair tight, and I tell you what, those braids still looked brand new when we took them out. I think some kids will be fine, and some will react like my daughter.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: