Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle

The eye?
The round cooking surface of an electric stove
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISshopkeeper View Post
I've been drinking tea all my life, both hot and iced. I've made literally hundreds of gallons of iced tea. And I've never heard of NOT boiling water for truly good tea.

OTOH, I sometimes let it brew overnight. Not on purpose, for the most part.

And your DD would likely hate my recipe.... I use 1/4 cup sugar for the gallon. And that's only a nod to DH. I prefer my tea plain and unsweetened, hot or cold.
Maybe the difference is that I put in the tea bags while the water is still cold and turn on the heat. Been doing it this way for 28 years as did my mom before me. I have mistakenly boiled the water with the tea bags in the water and they have busted open. Anyway, I know everyone loves my tea, and I get asked to make it quite often. and this is the way my mom made it, but I may try boiling the water first and then throwing the tea bags in, I hate having to watch and make sure that it doesn't boil with the bags in it.

I was also told one time that I wasn't really southern, because I actually hate sweet tea. I only use sweet n low. I hate the taste of real sugar. lol. I told that person that I would be sure and let my born and raised in TN and MS mom and dad know. Even worse, my mom HATED and yes I scream hated tea with a passion, hot of cold. She was really messed up.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
The round cooking surface of an electric stove
Thank you! I can't believe I'm as old as I am and have never heard of that before!

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #34
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

Traditional 'sweet tea' is just that because it is made with a simple syrup. Begin with dissolving one cup of sugar in one cup of water. Bring to a boil on the stove, and once it comes to a good rolling boil, let go for at least a good minute or two. The boil is important! Once the simple syrup is made, it is important to let in cool before you add it to your tea. In fact, I will pop it in frig for an hour or so. I usually make a double batch. Once it is cooled it will be thick, and a bit viscous, like a very thin syrup. This process actually make the sugar taste sweeter. It is yummy.

Now brew your favorite tea, just being careful not let over steep the tea--it will be bitter. Now cool this tea also. This is important. Now add the simple syrup to tea, bringing it the desired sweetness. Add a few thin slice of lemon, don't squeeze them into the tea, just float the slice. Refigerate for a few hours and viola, traditional sweet tea.

You can also make flavored simple syrups such as mint and orange. Just prior to boiling the dissolved sugar mixture, add mint leaves or orange peel (peel from at least two navel oranges). Bring to boil, cool with the mint or peel, then strain prior to adding the syrup to the tea. I also like the put the syrups in decanters (the tall/skinny clear glass olive oil decanters you see work great for this since they have that long narrow spout) and let everyone add their own sugar syrup to the tea.

Hope this helps!!
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Does the simple syrup make it sweeter than just putting straight sugar in the tea?

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

We boil a pot of water, once it starts boiling turn the burner off, put in 7 small teabags. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes. I usually fill a gallon pitcher about 1/4 full of hot water and put in the sugar and stir until dissolved-- real sweet tea 2 cups per gallon, we don't make ours as sweet anymore and only use 1 now. After the tea bags have steeped pour the tea into pitcher and add any extra water. If I needed it cold faster I would add a lot of ice cubes.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

IMHO, it may make it seem sweeter... but the amount of sugar will be whatever amount you choose to use!

PS: once again, like I have just posted... I have accidentally boiled tea... And, it helped... It makes it less bitter, as it pulls the full flavor and body from the tea leaves. One can not over-steep tea.

In fact, if the water is not hot enough, or the the tea is not steeped long enough, one will be left without the full flavor, only the bitterness that initially comes out. You don't HAVE to boil it. (as one web-site I saw actually defined southern sweet tea as 'boiled'.) but if you are not steeping in simmering boiling hot water. You aren't getting the full effect.

I do believe that it must be sweetened when warm/hot.
Cold tea is just not going to dissolve enough sugar, and really pull all of the sugar and tea together to get that rich flavor.

Whenever we are up north, or even in Florida, where they only serve unsweetened tea, and not true, presweetened southern sweet tea... it is just awful... You can put sugar packets in that cold tea and stir and stir forever.... You'll never have good, sweet, southern, tea that way!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
We boil a pot of water, once it starts boiling turn the burner off, put in 7 small teabags. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes. I usually fill a gallon pitcher about 1/4 full of hot water and put in the sugar and stir until dissolved-- real sweet tea 2 cups per gallon, we don't make ours as sweet anymore and only use 1 now. After the tea bags have steeped pour the tea into pitcher and add any extra water. If I needed it cold faster I would add a lot of ice cubes.

But, here is a tip...
You can go ahead and sweeten the hot tea... instead of using more hot water to dissolve the sugar. It makes fabulous tea!!! Then, you have less hot water to cool before enjoying!!!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #39
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

I'm from Alabama and we make a lot of sweet tea! For me it's easiest to use our Mr Coffee Tea Maker (Walmart $20). The amount of tea bags and sugar used all depends on taste preference.

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #40
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing on a star View Post
imho, it may make it seem sweeter... But the amount of sugar will be whatever amount you choose to use!

ps: Once again, like i have just posted... I have accidentally boiled tea... And, it helped... It makes it less bitter, as it pulls the full flavor and body from the tea leaves. One can not over-steep tea.

In fact, if the water is not hot enough, or the the tea is not steeped long enough, one will be left without the full flavor, only the bitterness that initially comes out. You don't have to boil it. (as one web-site i saw actually defined southern sweet tea as 'boiled'.) but if you are not steeping in simmering boiling hot water. You aren't getting the full effect.

I do believe that it must be sweetened when warm/hot.
Cold tea is just not going to dissolve enough sugar, and really pull all of the sugar and tea together to get that rich flavor.

Whenever we are up north, or even in florida, where they only serve unsweetened tea, and not true, presweetened southern sweet tea... It is just awful... You can put sugar packets in that cold tea and stir and stir forever.... You'll never have good, sweet, southern, tea that way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing on a star View Post
imho, it may make it seem sweeter... But the amount of sugar will be whatever amount you choose to use!

simple syrup is is sweeter than granulated sugar--the dissolving and heating process starts a chemical process to the sucrose (the formal name for table sugar) creating a solution that is sweeter than the original sucrose

ps: Once again, like i have just posted... I have accidentally boiled tea... And, it helped... It makes it less bitter, as it pulls the full flavor and body from the tea leaves. One can not over-steep tea.

most tea's can be over steeped
http://blog.teavana.com/post/2008/05...nger-tea-.aspx

in fact, if the water is not hot enough, or the the tea is not steeped long enough, one will be left without the full flavor, only the bitterness that initially comes out. You don't have to boil it. (as one web-site i saw actually defined southern sweet tea as 'boiled'.) but if you are not steeping in simmering boiling hot water. You aren't getting the full effect.

you create more tea flavor by adding more tea

i do believe that it must be sweetened when warm/hot.

simple syup is alreay dissolved, so when when the cooled syrup is added to the cool tea there are no dissolving issues

whenever we are up north, or even in florida, where they only serve unsweetened tea, and not true, presweetened southern sweet tea... It is just awful... You can put sugar packets in that cold tea and stir and stir forever.... You'll never have good, sweet, southern, tea that way!
imho
Old 02-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #41
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Does the simple syrup make it sweeter than just putting straight sugar in the tea?
yes it does--creating the sugar solution where the sugar is dissolved then heated makes the sucrose change its chemical make-up a bit, actually making it sweeter than the original table sugar
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #42
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
Traditional 'sweet tea' is just that because it is made with a simple syrup. Begin with dissolving one cup of sugar in one cup of water. Bring to a boil on the stove, and once it comes to a good rolling boil, let go for at least a good minute or two. The boil is important! Once the simple syrup is made, it is important to let in cool before you add it to your tea. In fact, I will pop it in frig for an hour or so. I usually make a double batch. Once it is cooled it will be thick, and a bit viscous, like a very thin syrup. This process actually make the sugar taste sweeter. It is yummy.

Now brew your favorite tea, just being careful not let over steep the tea--it will be bitter. Now cool this tea also. This is important. Now add the simple syrup to tea, bringing it the desired sweetness. Add a few thin slice of lemon, don't squeeze them into the tea, just float the slice. Refigerate for a few hours and viola, traditional sweet tea.

You can also make flavored simple syrups such as mint and orange. Just prior to boiling the dissolved sugar mixture, add mint leaves or orange peel (peel from at least two navel oranges). Bring to boil, cool with the mint or peel, then strain prior to adding the syrup to the tea. I also like the put the syrups in decanters (the tall/skinny clear glass olive oil decanters you see work great for this since they have that long narrow spout) and let everyone add their own sugar syrup to the tea.

Hope this helps!!
This is the correct way. I also make a lemon syrup which can be used with water (or sparkling water) to make lemonade or mixed with tea (as you say) to make a lovely half/half (Arnold Palmer).
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #43
mrspaha
Mouseketeer

I'm literally am addicted to iced tea. I drink it all year long, and have a nice cold one next to me as I type this. It has such a crisp refreshing taste (plus it is so cheap to make), I often wonder why more people don't drink it. I like mine unsweetened, with just a few squirts of fresh lemon.

What I do is boil a large pot of water, pour the boiling water into a rubbermaid half-gallon pitcher, and steep 7 regular size teabags in it. I would assume you could put in whatever amount of sugar you want into the pitcher before the boiling water.
mrspaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #44
Mkaz
Well, bust my buttons! That's a horse of a different color!
Some days I think it would be easier to stand on my head and poop nickels.

Ours is similar to others. We put 1 3/4 cups sugar in a one gallon pitcher and add lemon (just enough to coat the sugar slightly). In a small saucepan bring 7 tea bags to a boil. Turn down on low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour boiled tea (not the tea bags) over sugar and lemon. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add cold water to the pot (to release the rest of the tea) and pour into pitcher. Do this a few times until the water is clear. Then fill the pitcher the rest of the way with plain cold water. It makes awesome tea!
Mkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
You don't have to boil it to death, like I almost did by accident.
Just make sure the teabags reach a simmer before cutting off the eye.
I always make my sweet tea vegetarian.

I make it by boiling water (just maybe 2 cups), taking it off the burner and putting in the bags (4 family size). Let sit for about half an hour, take the bags out and add sugar (I do about 1 cup). Stir and then put the mixture in a pitcher and then add water and ice. Gah, I want sweet tea!

We put in a pinch of baking soda to keep the tea from getting cloudy. An old trick from those of us raised in the sticks where the water wasn't all that clear to begin with.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: