Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
monica9
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Meghatron;47572516]Bigger ship, bigger dining rooms, no more character meals or dinner shows/parades because the staff can't adequately entertain the entire space. Yet another trade off because of more crowds.[/QUOTE

So the other two ships DO have character meals and parades? I think we would be sold if they had mini parades on the cruise ships! That is my daughters number 1 favorite thing in disney.....parades!
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Michael701x1
Earning My Ears

Dream and Fantasy are sister ships and the newest in the fleet. If you're budget allows, I recommend the 7 day cruise on Fantasy to fully absorb all the amenities the ship has to offer then 2 days or longer at WDW.

We did this combo last June and had a blast!
Michael701x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9
So the other two ships DO have character meals and parades? I think we would be sold if they had mini parades on the cruise ships! That is my daughters number 1 favorite thing in disney.....parades!
Depending on the itinerary, yes. Character breakfast requires 2.5 sea days or more (they will do a breakfast the morning of a late half-day in port).

Dinner parades:

Show night in AP has a parade and short performance (this is replaced by Crush, etc. on Fantasy; sort of a character meal but not really)

Pirate night and Til We Meet Again are server parades with flags, dancing, other merriment.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisavince3 View Post
I thought transportation was $70/pp round trip?
Correct, DCL transportation to/from WDW and PC or MCO and PC is $35/per person EACH WAY. That translates to $70 round trip, but round trip is not required and you may do 1 way if that's what you need. I'm not sure about transportation to other ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Depends on length of cruise. A 3 or 4-night, no; probably not even on a 5-night. Character meals are offered on the classic ships on sailings that include at least 3 days at-sea, or 2 days at sea and 1 late port arrival day. Mini-parades are not in any way equivalent to anything in WDW. It's more part of the show than a real parade.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

We chose the Dream instead of the Magic/Wonder. My family's been dreaming of a Disney cruise and finally I realised they wouldn't be satisfied with any other ship than the one with the Aquaduck - because that's the main thing you see in commercials. Yes, advertising suckered us in.

It may be a one time thing - I just don't know. I've been looking at 2014 itineraries and nothing really jumps out at me. I know I want to do a dummy booking on board just in case - but really don't know what we would want to do.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
monica9
DIS Veteran

I'm just stuck until we find out the prices for rooms at wdw in January. Once we can figure out the price then it will be easier to decide. Ideally I'd love to do the 7 night cruise to western carribean and then 2 nights 3 full days at the parks. That's a lot of money though! Are there good deals and promotions for the ships and if so, how far in advance do they come out? Do the cruises go out of new jersey new York or Maryland? I think I heard last year was the last year from new York. We live in ct. Would be nice to save flight money
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
monica9
DIS Veteran

Elaine, what is a dummy booking? I not know an of the Disney cruise line slang yet. Hope to soon!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Elaine, what is a dummy booking? I not know an of the Disney cruise line slang yet. Hope to soon!
A dummy booking s when you rebook while onboard your cruise so you can save an extra 10% off a future cruise...it is called a dummy date as you don;t have to go on the actual date you rebook for...you can bump it out. For instance we rebooked for 10/2013 but bumped it out to 6/2014.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm just stuck until we find out the prices for rooms at wdw in January. Once we can figure out the price then it will be easier to decide. Ideally I'd love to do the 7 night cruise to western carribean and then 2 nights 3 full days at the parks. That's a lot of money though! Are there good deals and promotions for the ships and if so, how far in advance do they come out? Do the cruises go out of new jersey new York or Maryland? I think I heard last year was the last year from new York. We live in ct. Would be nice to save flight money
You can get an idea of WDW room rates based on the current year. You can even go ahead and book a room only now, they'll tell you the estimated rate (based on this year) and that it might change. You can convert to a package or other deal if/when released.

Cruise deals...lowest fares are traditionally when first released as fares will increase as more staterooms are sold. That said, DCL has offered some great discounts as *GT rates, which are more last-minute, usually appearing less than 75 days before the sailing. These rates have several restrictions associated (no changes, PIF, DCL assigns the room, etc.) but are highly discounted. Other deals like Kids Sail Free and military discounts may or may not be offered, generally if a cruise is not selling well.

Currently DCL has cruises for next January out of Port Canaveral, FL, Miami, FL and Galveston, TX. There are other home ports at other times of year; cruises out of NYC, if offered again (and I would love that!) are likely to be summer only.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: