Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Clutter is the first thing for me. I would like to see what I am moving into as far as my furniture goes. Odor's are next. I understand people have pets, and so I am kind of over look a little odor from it. If I see they are neat and tidy it's understandable.

When I sold mine, I put a small pot on the stove with some nice spices and let it simmer to get a nice smell. Everything was clean inside and out and our carpets were clean. Ours was a short sale and we had already moved out, but I went every week and kept up the yard and the pool. We did sell it in 3 months.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

have been told by many people that they cannot smell my dog including my Realtor. They couldn't tell we even had one since he was outside on the lead. I have painted walls but muted tones and nothing funky except for one room. We will try to finish painting but it can be seen that we are working on it with the replacement windows and new front door and porch. I've never had anyone say anything bad about the house smelling either. The only complaints I get are the age. Floors are very visible beyond the are rugs and they can all be moved to look underneath. Even the rug tiles in the playroom can be picked up and moved out of the way since we didn't glue them down in any way.

I moved everything that we don't use to my Dad's basement for storage so it's not here. I am even getting a smaller table for the kitchen since we currently have a dining room table in there and it takes up too much room. Our attic and basement are pretty empty.

Room sizes are not bad either,a bit smaller than some are used to but lots of rooms to choose from. master bedroom suite and multiples bathrooms and first floor laundry. Living room is 14x13 and kitchen is 17x14.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Furniture that is too big for a room or arranged in a weird way. Like a formal dining table shoved against a wall.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I also really didn't like it when the house looked dark. I would suggest opening the curtains and blinds as I really like the natural light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
And if you have pets, I'd leave the windows open (if weather/temp permits) a couple hours a day.
I don't' have curtains on most of the windows and don't have any blinds at all. Lots of natural light in the house and I love it. Windows get open as soon as weather permits and stay open unless it's raining.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Forgot to say in my earlier post, best of luck selling your house! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

I definitely agree about the odor issue.

But one thing that really turns me off are bathrooms and kitchen that aren't pristine for showing. I mean, I don't even like to see towels that have clearly been used hanging on the rack, toothbrushes and hairy hairbrushes on the counter. Just gross, and inevitably you can tell that the bathroom is normally nasty because the baseboards (which everyone forgets) are covered in hair and dirt. Sinks with dirty dishes, food smeared microwaves. I have to wonder if that's what they consider "show ready", what did that house normally look like with regular use. And then that makes me think about poor maintenance and bugs.

And if I see clean floors, but baseboards in living areas are covered in pet fur, I start thinking about fleas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly little Miss Perfect Tidy. But I know what truly clean is, and that's what a house up for market needs to be. If that's the best someone can do, then their everyday treatment of that house could be really awful.

One thing I've noticed with model homes -- they have curtains, but not blinds. Plus the windows are sparkling clean. And it really does make the home look bigger and brighter. If we sell this home, I'll probably remove the blinds and put them in the garage. I'll tell the realtor to let any potential buyers know that blinds are included, but have been removed "for cleaning."

One other tip: tidy up your closets and cabinets. People will look inside to see what the storage is like, and if it's crammed full, they'll get the impression there isn't enough storage for them either. Take out and store everything you absolutely don't need for daily living,leaving enough to look lived in. Organize the kitchen cabinets to look pretty. Sometimes the little things make bigger psychological impacts than people realize.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

Just had our offer accepted Going to inspection tomorrow!

When you do have showings, turn on all the lights & leave the house. We had one home owner follow us around the house. Very awkward.

One of the homeowners (made it to our finalist list) baked us cookies & left a note to enjoy. The house smelled great & it was a nice gesture.

Paint doesn't bother me, I am going to change it once I get in there anyway. If there are any carpets, give them a fresh cleaning. The house we are buying is listed with "designer colors". IMO, they are fad colors from a few years ago & I can't wait to get in & lighten things up. Living room is dark red, master is purple, bathrooms are chocolate brown (), one bedroom is smurf blue & other is pale pink.

Otherwise, I agree with others on clutter & smell. Those were my 2 big annoyances.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It even comes with a full home inspection report showing that there are no major items wrong with the house.
Just wanted to say that if you haven't got the inspection yet, I'd save the money and put it into something else. An inspection report from the seller's inspector wouldn't carry any weight with me. I'm still hiring my own inspector and going off my person's report.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Hmmmm, I seem to be a big problem in selling homes! (For what it's worth, I picked my name as I was trying to get all the baby stuff out of my house. 13 years later, and it's still an ongoing battle!)

Besides getting rid of stuff that you don't use, you might also store a few pieces of furniture. If you look at today's styles, it is much more minimalist furniture-wise than most of us live with. So store or get rid of extra tables and chairs.

I'm big one on smells as well. Smoke, spices, wet spots all make me worry.

Good luck on selling your house. And finish up the outside paint!
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Clutter, odors especially smoke, pets, mold, mildew, chipped tiles, mismatching fixtures in the bathroom, only one tiny bathroom, stuuf that need immediate painting, items that are atthe end of their life
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

For me I can get past clutter bad (or just unappealing to me) decor choices. I am looking at the floor plan, window sizes and locations, traffic flow, kitchen layout (I hat the sink to be at the very end of the counter with no counter space on one side) and such. I can remove all the color and clutter in my mind and see if it will work for me or if there are minor changes that can be made.
What urns me off are bad smells that could portend mold or rot or anything that looks unsafe or could be a potential large problem.
It sounds like the house was well kept and through and inspection could be verified.
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
tOSU
Mouseketeer

Being 240 years old & never updated would raise some concern with me right away. I would be very cautious of asbestos and lead paint. Then wonder about insulation, windows, wiring, plumbing and structural issues. The 1/2 painted would be a negative as well, you mentioned finishing it but whoever buys it may not like the color & want it entirely repainted anyway.

Good luck selling your house, it can be very frustrating & cause for anxiety.
tOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Homeowners should be *away* completely - is awkward, if not impossible to look and speak freely with realtor when owners are present. Most realtors will not allow it anyway.

Odors - will not even *look* farther into a house if I smell cigaret smoke or pet odors when the door is opened.

Age of home - don't like *chopped up * rooms. Ages of appliances, wiring, plumbing. Insulation is usually a *very big* issue in older homes.

Dampness, smell of mold in crawl space.

I can take a little clutter if it doesn't cover areas where I cannot see. No area rugs on hardwoods (can hide burns, bad scrapes, etc.)

I wish you all the luck, OP, but to be honest, I never look at homes older than 10 years. We've had to transfer a lot with dh's job, and have bought several homes. Carpets always have to be changed, sometimes wood floors need refinishing.

I also second the poster that said save your money on getting your own inspection. We *never* even looked at the seller's inspection. We always chose our own independent home inspector, and also was present AT the inspection.

Some people actually like older homes, and that's probably the market that will be looking at yours.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #29
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

If your basement seems at all damp run a dehumidifier before showings and turn it off/hide it during showings.

Floors that creak turn me off. It isn't that expensive or difficult to fix most creaking floors, but some signal worse problems so if you can fix that I would.

Mold or ANY signs of water damage, any type even small, anywhere.

Landscaping that is a mess, over grown, or sparse. I think how one keeps up the outside appearance of a home reflects the overall upkeep of a home.

Windows are a big thing I look at. They are VERY expensive to replace so if you have any really bad windows you may want to consider replacing at least those.

The age of the furnace, water heater, etc. and what type they are.

I would get your house painted now if you can. A fresh coat of paint on the outside will give it much more curb appeal.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

We just bought our first home last spring & were house hunting for 2 years prior-open houses & scheduled showings.

Like others said, dirt & clutter were big turn offs to us. We felt if you could not even tidy up to show your house, what does that say about how well you cared for your house over time?

Odors were big turn-offs and deal breakers for us. Pet odor, strong food odor, & cigarette smoke. One house we found was the house of our dreams-it had everything we wanted & was in our price range, but we just could not get past the cigarette smell in every room & we are a bit contradictory because we are both occasional smokers (used to be daily smokers and now we might share one 2-3x per year), but we never smoked in the house or car & cannot stand that stale smell.

aristocatz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: