Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #3076
Janet B
DIS Veteran

Happy Thursday!

Iheart, Miss, Pas... so scary today on the drug scene... it moves in all circles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
I was still stewing about it last night when the DH got off his computer for us to go to bed. My DH just finally said, "hun, you know you can't fix stupid". If only there was a way. Luckily, the DH is extremely easy going, just kept quiet and worked even faster to get out. Me, I can be a hot-head and probably would had said something.
Wookie, your DH is wise people are just plain stupid...and people like that will teach their children to hate too... terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
[
Sounds yummy!! I play SW:tOR with a man from Jamaica who is supposed to be giving me his jerk chicken recipe. I love trying new recipes!! I did one I found in a Rachel Ray cooking with your kids cookbook and it was amazing!! It was shrimp and chorizo over manchego orzo pasta with oven baked crispy green beans.
Wookie, please share the recipe (for both). They sound yummy... the shrimp one sounds quick too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I also got nervous that my BFF husband won't like our touring style....we are so chill and laid back and honestly don't shy away from a long line. We sleep late and miss rope drop. We get Fastpasses when we can but really do just do things when we feel like it. Her DH hates lines and I was trying to come up with a "touring plan"....I gave up. I told her, "we don't do that and I'm not going to". She was fine with that . She couldn't believe that I was stressing about it and said that they are super excited to go and think they will have a great trip!! . She doesn't want us to change our style for them.
MM, its good you clear things with your bff... it will all work out! There may be times you want some family time just to yourselves... and meeting up in a park is fine too, if you like to be there at rope drop and they don't...it will be an amazing trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post

Hi Missout And Janet, And here's the rest of the story. I checked, waited for dh to see about vacation time, got the go ahead. So far so good. I carefully opened two browsers, (each of our accounts), clicked with extra care, and...
dh comes upstairs and says, "Hey, I need to print some things for the tax guy right now, k?" So I hold my breath some more, (he finally leaves) I get back to my bookings, still there, and...they went through! 25,000 each round trip to MCO.

I was so excited call Disney reservations. I was able to get most of our trip at YC/CL and then the last two nights at WL/CL.
We've not stayed CL at WL yet, so we are excited. We are hoping to try California Grill for the first time, it should be re-opened by our trip. Our window opens end of March, so I will have fun with some more dining reservation planning.

Waving hi to all the RC peeps! Have a great day friends!
Ginny!! Happy it all worked out for you! Late Sept/early Oct, perfect for halloween and F&W...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Thanks! It's bad....being on the DIS with no trip booked.... no es bueno

Of course!!! I would LOVE to have Sam along

So I leaked to DH the idea of a Spring trip...I even quoted him a price....DENIED!!!
Pas, too bad on the spring trip but the upside is more disney dollars for December!! will have to wait upon Sam's schedule to see if a december trip is in the cards or not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Gwenn I love Disney in the fall. I am happy to be able to hit MNSSHP and F&W again this year. In 2011 we missed F&W by ONE day.

sis you didn't miss a year! She will be 2 next month. Little miss diva lol. She is totally a riot. Yesterday she tried on her swimsuits and nightgowns and she was twirling around like a ballerina and posing. I really have no idea where she comes from!
Dani, would love to be able to hit up MNSSHP this year... am waiting impatiently for Sam's school to release their 13-14 calendar....

Hey how come I didn't get any pix of your Miss Diva?

Check out the Grooviest FAQ thread here: Pop Century FAQ Thread

TY Kook!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #3077
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Hello RC Family

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just off the Dis

With everyone being healthy and back to school I have been getting caught up on all my errands and cooking I finally decided to start making a whole bunch of healthy recipes I have been pinning on Pinterest

DS has had a rough couple of days at school so this afternoon is not going to be fun when he learns he has lost electronic devices

I promise to try to catch up soon

Melissa

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #3078
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Carline is quiet today, so hoping to get some catching up in

Jeanette - sorry you aren't getting your Disney fix in this spring or summer, but you know you will have a good time at US/IAO! And I am sure Disney will sneak in pot your calendar somewhere

Ginny - YAY on getting a new trip booked (and even better using miles)!!!!

Candace - hopefully your BFF's DH will go,with the flow and realize how hot and tired (and CRANKY) everyone can get if they just go, go, go.

i_heart - how scary!!! You really never know what is happening behind closed doors. When I was growing up my mom and I heard a helicopter above our little neighborhood in our little town, long story short, one of our neighbors had been drugging and raping women in that very house!!!!!

Miss - I just looked at the 2013/2014 school calendar and we are going back late this year, Aug 19th. Also, the seasonal passes are valid again starting Aug 16th, so the mid to end if Aug could be EXTREMELY busy. Plus the weather is just GROSS here in August

Oh kids coming out of school....got to run!
Melissa

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:

Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #3079
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Hi Peeps!!

Wookie, wow, a scary situation for your DH and co-worker, could of been real trouble, thankful nothing came of it.
Yes it was and I am too.

Quote:
Happy Thursday RCers!

I was so excited call Disney reservations. I was able to get most of our trip at YC/CL and then the last two nights at WL/CL.
We've not stayed CL at WL yet, so we are excited. We are hoping to try California Grill for the first time, it should be re-opened by our trip. Our window opens end of March, so I will have fun with some more dining reservation planning.

I'm trying to convince the DH to upgrade to CL level. It's about $800 more to do it. Which is about what we would have had to pay to upgrade to the DlxDDP.

Quote:
Wookie- BBM-Exactly. Those are wise words.

Waving hi to all the RC peeps! Have a great day friends!
Yeah, he really has his moments some times.

Quote:
Thanks! It's bad....being on the DIS with no trip booked.... no es bueno
I have the same problem. It makes me a sad panda.

Quote:
I've started my US PTR

My August 2013 "Darkside" PTR
Cool, I'll check it out when I get back from the store.

Quote:
Wookie, your DH is wise people are just plain stupid...and people like that will teach their children to hate too... terrible.
Yes it is. I tell my children it is that type of ignorance that could keep them from having wonderful friendships.

Quote:
Wookie, please share the recipe (for both). They sound yummy... the shrimp one sounds quick too!
He still hasn't given me the jerk chicken recipe yet. He better hope he gets it to me before we do our next operation in game, or that boy will not get a single heal from me.

Here is the one for the Spicy Shrimp, Cheesy Orzo and Roasted Green Beans...

INGREDIENTS

Salt
1/2 pound orzo pasta
1 1/4 pounds green beans
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Pepper
1/4 pound chorizo or other spicy sausage, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
1 pound shrimp, deveined
1 teaspoon paprika
One can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1 cup grated manchego cheese
1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
Serves 4

PREPARATION

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the orzo and cook until al dente. Drain and transfer to a bowl.

While the pasta is working, pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Spread the green beans on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Roast until browned and tender, 12-15 minutes.

In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Season the shrimp with the paprika and add to the mixture. Add the tomatoes and cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO , the cheese and parsley.

Serve the spicy shrimp with the orzo and green beans.

Well I'm off to the store. I thought I had everything to make tonight's dinner (Chicken Tortilla Soup), but I don't. Hmmmm, do I go out of my way and put blue jeans on, or do I keep my pink and green PJ pants on? It's a tiny store, in a very small town.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #3080
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Hello ladies!

Thanks to Wookie, Janet, Pas & Melissa for your extra summer Disney advice. I do appreciate it.

Ginny: Yay for being booked! This year will be our first time visiting during F&W. I think we might have to re-do our touring strategy because of it... especially if we get the APs.

~~----------------------------~~

So, here's the latest on the AP discussion front ...

Schools get out for summer break around the 1st of June. One of the scenarios we discussed to get in a 3rd trip on the APs would be to fly down right after school ends in the beginning of June, rent a car and perhaps see about renting a house off-site for a week (with a pool, of course). Hopefully somewhere relatively close to Disney. Hmmm. He seems quite keen on this idea rather than stay at a Value because he thinks it'll be too crowded at the resorts. Guess I'll have to start looking into rentals...

Last night, when I was getting ready for bed, I noticed I couldn't see my toes very well (inspecting my nail polish ) -- lovely black spots in my vision. Then suddenly it dawns on me. Oy. Migraine RIGHT before bed, I guess it could've come at a worse time though, right? I was so out of it this morning that hubs decided to take Miss M to school for me. When she came to kiss me goodbye she started crying because she wanted to stay home with me -- she's never, EVER done that before. Poor daddy, he thinks he's chopped liver.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #3081
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Wookie - I just read about what happened with your DH the other day, how scary! I grew up in a small town that was literally 97% white but my parents made sure we were brought up that skin color means nothing! But I know ignorance exists and it is beyond sad maybe your DH needs to think about strategies if he were really placed in danger.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:

Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #3082
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Hey Wookie I just read what happened as well. Yikes, that's awful and so scary but I'm glad nothing bad happened! Ironically, Monday night I watched a National Geographic documentary called "The Human Tree", basically every single person has DNA that goes back to Africa! It was so interesting!!

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #3083
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Hello ladies!

Thanks to Wookie, Janet, Pas & Melissa for your extra summer Disney advice. I do appreciate it.
Your welcome, even though I don't have much experience with it.

Quote:
So, here's the latest on the AP discussion front ...

Schools get out for summer break around the 1st of June. One of the scenarios we discussed to get in a 3rd trip on the APs would be to fly down right after school ends in the beginning of June, rent a car and perhaps see about renting a house off-site for a week (with a pool, of course). Hopefully somewhere relatively close to Disney. Hmmm. He seems quite keen on this idea rather than stay at a Value because he thinks it'll be too crowded at the resorts. Guess I'll have to start looking into rentals...
Are y'all planning on doing any of the SWW stuff?

Quote:
Last night, when I was getting ready for bed, I noticed I couldn't see my toes very well (inspecting my nail polish ) -- lovely black spots in my vision. Then suddenly it dawns on me. Oy. Migraine RIGHT before bed, I guess it could've come at a worse time though, right? I was so out of it this morning that hubs decided to take Miss M to school for me. When she came to kiss me goodbye she started crying because she wanted to stay home with me -- she's never, EVER done that before. Poor daddy, he thinks he's chopped liver.
I hope your feeling better today. My kids are usually the same way with the DH. They hate it when he gets them ready for school. Although it very rarely happens. I mean Blue Moons happened more often. I think it's mainly because Daddy doesn't make them breakfast like Mommy does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Wookie - I just read about what happened with your DH the other day, how scary! I grew up in a small town that was literally 97% white but my parents made sure we were brought up that skin color means nothing! But I know ignorance exists and it is beyond sad maybe your DH needs to think about strategies if he were really placed in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyCrzy11 View Post
Hey Wookie I just read what happened as well. Yikes, that's awful and so scary but I'm glad nothing bad happened! Ironically, Monday night I watched a National Geographic documentary called "The Human Tree", basically every single person has DNA that goes back to Africa! It was so interesting!!

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a great day!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Thanks y'all. Hopefully, it's the one and only time it happens.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #3084
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Any advise???? Just thinking about booking a trip for Oct 2014 at the new moderate hotel at Universal. That hotel will get extra hours but not the front of the line pass. My question is during Oct Mon-Thurs do you really think we'd need the front of the line????
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #3085
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma
Any advise???? Just thinking about booking a trip for Oct 2014 at the new moderate hotel at Universal. That hotel will get extra hours but not the front of the line pass. My question is during Oct Mon-Thurs do you really think we'd need the front of the line????
I would think as long as its not the Monday of Columbus Day weekend you should be okay without the express passes.

My Trip Reports:

Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #3086
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

GG: Does Universal run any October events like the F&W? On the face of it, it sounds like it would be fine barring any holidays or special events. I can't wait to try Universal. One of these years... my Potter-brainwashing of the kiddo is far from complete though.

Wookie: Oh, SWW?! Isn't that in May? Oh boy...

~~-------------------------------~~

I need to vent and I apologize in advance for this novella of complaints....

Eesh.

My parents live on the east coast. I haven't seen my mother since April 2012 and haven't seen my father since October 2011. He's recently developed a "dislike of flying" although he blames it on how expensive it is. We were supposed to have seen them at Disney, along with my brother who lives in FL, this past January but both my parents and my brother decided not to come down. (First my dad was going to have the lap band surgery and therefore didn't want my mother to come on her own -- the surgery which didn't actually happen until February. Then, my brother realized that he wouldn't have my parents to foot the bill for him and he decides not to drive the 3 hours down to Orlando to visit. Okay then. )

Since the beginning of the year, Miss M has asked if they would come out for her birthday in April. My mom obviously wants to come. My dad said he wanted to as well, and that they would drive. I was a bit shocked that he sounded like he really wanted to come and because we haven't seen them in a while so I was pleased that they were both going to be coming.

This afternoon, I had two missed calls from my parents so I call back and my dad answers -- those missed calls were both from him. This is where I usually say a mental "Uh-oh" because multiple calls from him only result in one thing -- complaining about my mom. The first bit of the conversation was pleasant enough; I even managed to get him off the subject of harking on about my mother buying a tea towel. (Yes, this is the level of things he would let ruin his day -- my mom buying a tea towel. ) I made a comment about how Miss M was going to be excited to see them in April. He then uses this as a segue and starts in on how no one has ever complained about his driving ... except my mother. And now, I can see it coming.

When I get into conversations like this with my dad, I really don't understand what he wants to hear from me. I told him to either act like adults and be pleasant to each other on the drive out, fly or don't come. Simple, right? He had an excuse why he couldn't do either of the first two options... so the only thing remaining is don't come. I tell him that I'll let Miss M know they won't come and he gets angry at me and hangs up the phone.

Eesh. All I can say is eeeeeesh. Those APs are sounding better and better by the moment.

And with that, I thank you for letting me get these mundane family-drama issues off my chest.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #3087
letthewookiewin

Quote:

This year it is weekends from May 17 - June 9.

Quote:

Eesh.

My parents live on the east coast. I haven't seen my mother since April 2012 and haven't seen my father since October 2011. He's recently developed a "dislike of flying" although he blames it on how expensive it is. We were supposed to have seen them at Disney, along with my brother who lives in FL, this past January but both my parents and my brother decided not to come down. (First my dad was going to have the lap band surgery and therefore didn't want my mother to come on her own -- the surgery which didn't actually happen until February. Then, my brother realized that he wouldn't have my parents to foot the bill for him and he decides not to drive the 3 hours down to Orlando to visit. Okay then. )

Since the beginning of the year, Miss M has asked if they would come out for her birthday in April. My mom obviously wants to come. My dad said he wanted to as well, and that they would drive. I was a bit shocked that he sounded like he really wanted to come and because we haven't seen them in a while so I was pleased that they were both going to be coming.

This afternoon, I had two missed calls from my parents so I call back and my dad answers -- those missed calls were both from him. This is where I usually say a mental "Uh-oh" because multiple calls from him only result in one thing -- complaining about my mom. The first bit of the conversation was pleasant enough; I even managed to get him off the subject of harking on about my mother buying a tea towel. (Yes, this is the level of things he would let ruin his day -- my mom buying a tea towel. ) I made a comment about how Miss M was going to be excited to see them in April. He then uses this as a segue and starts in on how no one has ever complained about his driving ... except my mother. And now, I can see it coming.

When I get into conversations like this with my dad, I really don't understand what he wants to hear from me. I told him to either act like adults and be pleasant to each other on the drive out, fly or don't come. Simple, right? He had an excuse why he couldn't do either of the first two options... so the only thing remaining is don't come. I tell him that I'll let Miss M know they won't come and he gets angry at me and hangs up the phone.

Eesh. All I can say is eeeeeesh. Those APs are sounding better and better by the moment.

And with that, I thank you for letting me get these mundane family-drama issues off my chest.
No worries, you've listened (well read) enough of my family dramas.

I am sorry. Hopefully, they put on their big-girl and boy pants long enough to make Miss M happy and come out for her birthday. What he wants, is for you to agree with him. Good to you for not falling into the trap.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #3088
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
GG: Does Universal run any October events like the F&W? On the face of it, it sounds like it would be fine barring any holidays or special events. I can't wait to try Universal. One of these years... my Potter-brainwashing of the kiddo is far from complete though.

~~-------------------------------~~

Eesh.

First, Missyou are right....Linda you need to watch the Halloween Horror Nights, it is a huge draw and people usually come for the whole day for that. And it is MOST nights in October. I actually just saw an article about tourism being way UP in Orlando too You may want to reconsider the hotels with the express pass.

Second, HUGE HUGS to you Miss!!! I am so sorry your parents are doing this to you and Miss M It just is not right. Maybe you can talk to your mom and she can talk some sense into your dad

If it makes you feel any better my kids just got their Christmas cards and gifts from MIL (she refuses to acknowledge that they dont celebrate Christmas and only Hanukkah) in the mail YESTERDAY Last time I checked we are pretty far into February, she could have at least changed them to Valentine's Day presents

Hang in there! I'll post my drink latter so we can we start Happy Hour

Melissa

My Trip Reports:

Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #3089
Janet B
DIS Veteran

Wookie, many thanks for your recipe!! I’m going to give it a go this weekend… just need to pick up the chorizo and that cheese.

Miss, big hugs to you! Sweetie you can vent all you like here! Like Wookie said, your Dad needs to grow up…it seems like it is more your Dad than Mom, right?? Time waits for no one, and they better rethink coming to see Miss M for her birthday (who will be crushed I’m sure if her g-rents bail out after they said they would.).

Hey, I’ve got it… Your Mom flies… your dad can drive or take the train….problem solved! would it work??

Melissa, so sorry about your MIL...that she can be so insensitive and disrespectful to you all is beyond me...big hugs to you as well.

Melissa, me thinks you better make that drink a STRONG one!!

Check out the Grooviest FAQ thread here: Pop Century FAQ Thread

TY Kook!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #3090
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Miss - I went through so much of what you describe, only it was my mom complaining about my dad. I totally get it. I'm sorry that Miss M is being caught in the fray. Ironically, for my folks, it was't until they divorced after 33 years of marriage that they became compatible and enjoyed each other's company again.

babyberger - That is just so crappy of MIL. Yuck. Although I admit I had a mental image of a Christmas card with the words crossed off and Happy Valentine's Day written over it. Sorry for your kiddos too

To both of you and pas - Thanks for sharing your scary stories. I feel like these terrible things happen so much more then they did when I was growing up.

I'm feeling so down today. As it turns out, my oldest son is pretty good friends with one of the boys whose parents had the meth lab. Fortunately they didn't socialize outside of school, but this just reinforces my feelings of discomfort at letting my kids go to the homes of families that I don't know well.

I guess the whole school day was spent dealing with the children's questions about drugs, jail, foster care, etc. I cannot stop thinking about what these poor 5 little kids are and have been going through. I want to throttle their parents. Hopefully they will be in prison for a very long time.
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Last edited by i_heart_the_mouse; 02-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: