Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I wish I could forget skinny jeans but people keep wearing them.

Especially on men- just ew. There is a relatively small percentage of the population that skinny jeans look good on.
I have to agree with this. First of all, no man ever looks good in skinny jeans. Not one single man. Now, women CAN get away with wearing them if they fall into one of two categories: 1) tall, slender, with long legs. OR... 2) Very petite

Don't worry, smitch, from your photos it looks like you are tiny enough to get away with this.

Unfortunately, curvy women (and I do mean curvy and not overweight as this term has come to mean) have a very hard time pulling off skinny jeans because they make their butts and thighs look bigger than they are.

As far as 90's fashions go, does anyone remember the overalls with the flannel shirt tied around the waist? That's was certainly a look. Really high waist jeans with a t-shirt tucked in was also a popular look that I really don't care for.

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #32
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I have to agree with this. First of all, no man ever looks good in skinny jeans. Not one single man. Now, women CAN get away with wearing them if they fall into one of two categories: 1) tall, slender, with long legs. OR... 2) Very petite

Don't worry, smitch, from your photos it looks like you are tiny enough to get away with this.

Unfortunately, curvy women (and I do mean curvy and not overweight as this term has come to mean) have a very hard time pulling off skinny jeans because they make their butts and thighs look bigger than they are.

As far as 90's fashions go, does anyone remember the overalls with the flannel shirt tied around the waist? That's was certainly a look. Really high waist jeans with a t-shirt tucked in was also a popular look that I really don't care for.
My DD10 loves her skinny jeans and they look good on her. However for me, they are a no go. I have thighs and a butt and they are not meant for anyone over 110 pounds!

Now the overalls were a look I loved and totally rocked! I wore those suckers all the time with my flannel shirt! In the summer I would take an older pair and cut them into shorts and wear a tank top underneath. I actually still have a pair from college that I wear around the house when I am painting. They have splatter marks all over them and look like they came straight out of 1985.

Another one I remember from my senior year, 1991- black tights under denim shorts with black Doc Martens! We all thought we were so stylin!

Last edited by princesspiglet; 02-21-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #33
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Would never wear again: Pumps in every color of the rainbow, worn with business suits. Panty hose

What I wish would come back is big hair! I had the best biggest hair, it gave me an extra 3-4 inches in height!

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Really high waist jeans with a t-shirt tucked in was also a popular look that I really don't care for.
That one is making a comeback. No idea why, but I've seen it a lot lately. I refuse to wear them, even if it means not being able to buy pants or shorts again until it dies out, lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #35
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

90's fad...rolling and folding up the bottom of your pants to make them tight to your ankle.

Another 90's fad, dressing up even for school. I graduated in 91 and all thru the yearbook we are all in skirts and dresses or in jeans overalls with plaid shirts.

90's again...silk vests and of course Bass Bucks shoes. I did love my bucks, super comfy andd I'd be happy for them to come back.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #36
ILUVALASKA
Mouseketeer

Uggs with shorts
flip flops with nice dresses, weddings, or at dinner in nice restaurants
skinny jeans
short, skanky shorts
the thin, tightfitting tee's that show every roll
PJ bottoms in public

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Does anyone remember the rainbow suspenders that Robin Williams wore on Mork and Mindy? Those were hugely popular when I was in Junior High [late 70s/early 80s]. I finally talked my mom into getting me a pair . . . and by then it was already out of style.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #38
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3

Shoulder pads and hammer pants, and those horribly ugly sweaters with all the colors and patterns.

And the worst by far is leggings. Now they can look cute under a nice long sweater however I see most people wear them as pants. Ladies, leggings are not pants and even if you are a size 0- you do not look good wearing them like they are
Thank you!

Say it with me folks... LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!!!
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #39
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
If you can wear them and look good, more power to you. I have a very petite co-worker who looks awesome in them. But way too many people are wearing them & should not be.
Thank you! I am one who does not look good in them and it is so hard to find normal jeans that fit. And people wonder why I don't wear jeans anymore.
DH-42 ME-33 DS #1-5 DS #2 2 DS #3 6 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #40
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
That one is making a comeback. No idea why, but I've seen it a lot lately. I refuse to wear them, even if it means not being able to buy pants or shorts again until it dies out, lol.
Now that makes me happy. Except for the tucking shirt in bit. Think I will skip that trend.
DH-42 ME-33 DS #1-5 DS #2 2 DS #3 6 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #41
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
The gigantic eyeglasses of the 1980s are the fashion item I'd refuse to wear again.
Agree
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #42
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
Does anyone remember the rainbow suspenders that Robin Williams wore on Mork and Mindy? Those were hugely popular when I was in Junior High [late 70s/early 80s]. I finally talked my mom into getting me a pair . . . and by then it was already out of style.
I do! I was thinking a few years ago that Mork would be a good adult costume for Halloween, IF you could find some of the suspenders .
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
shoney
DIS Veteran

I remember wearing lots of body suit shirts in the 90's, so they stayed tucked into the higher waisted jeans. what a pain to go to the bathroom
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #44
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Poodle perms! OMG. I kept my hair in a tight perm through most of the 80s. I look at my pictures not and my hair looks awful. The perms always reddened my dark hair and it didn't look natural. I have very straight hair, without an inch of curl. When the perms grew out, the hair would be very straight for about 1-2" either side of my part, so the top of my head looked flat. The only way to fix is was--wait for it--MORE PERM.

Last edited by minkydog; 02-21-2013 at 03:44 PM.
minkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

Polyester!!! It was all the fad when I was in my teens. Leisure suits and then the silky patterned shirts that went with them, and they were strange patterns. What were we thinking?

I think my biggest fashion regret was the powder blue tux with ruffled shirt I had my husband wear when we got married though. Not a good look at all.

Last edited by tazdev3225; 02-21-2013 at 06:03 PM.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: