Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Aeroplan tips

Do any of you have experience booking flights to Florida with Aeroplan during the Christmas break? Specifically, is there a time that is better than others (ie when points to fly are reduced). We booked for a family of 4 about 5 years ago during Christmas for 100,000 points (return). Now the points are ridiculous!! You cannot even get that one way. I do not remember if I booked at a specific time then or not.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

I don't have a real tip for you other than I now use my Aeroplan points for car rentals in Orlando as opposed to flights. But I am fortunate to live in the west end of Toronto about an hour and chance from Buffalo airport (with no traffic) so I don't find that using Aeroplan miles for free flights is cost effective relative to flying out of Buffalo.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

I don't really use Aeoplan anymore either, but I plugged in some dates and did see availability for 4 return tickets Dec 18, returning Jan 2. These had one stop on United. I'm sure they won't release nonstop flights over Christmas. As always with Aeroplane, being flexible with dates helps. If you can't get the dates you want try searching for 2, then 3 tickets and see if that helps as it can be hard to get 4 seats on rewards. Maybe you can pay for the 4th ticket, and use some miles for park hoppers?

Good luck

PS remember that the number of miles showing is the TOTAL for all four tickets. This threw me off at first.
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
aristocat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
amw
need a new tag

To really benefit from aeroplan, you have to be a priority elite member. If you are, you can click on the priority flight button when you do your searches. It allows all available flights at the lower point value. If you are not elite, you are out of luck as they only have a few seats per plane. Before elite status, I actually booked a full year in advance.

Keep in mind too that with taxes and fees, those "free" tickets are actually around $170 per ticket! You may want to look at other airlines and use the points for something else. I've ordered Universal passes with them, car rentals, etc. or if you plan a short-haul trip elsewhere (ie NYC), that might be a better use of points.

WDW, March 2014 - POR
WDW, March 2013 - Swan
WDW, August 2012 - Beach Club Grand Gathering
DLR, August 2011 - Sheraton Anaheim
WDW, March 2011 - Marriott Sabal Palms
WDW, March 2010 - POFQ & Hilton Clearwater
WDW, Feb 2009 - Poly - a Disney pin sucked me in!
WDW, April 2008 - Bonnet Creek Resort
DLR, March 2007 - Hyatt - First trip ever to DL!
WDW, Sept 2005 - Cypress Pointe
WDW, Nov 2003 - HIFS - First trip with my princesses!
WDW, Nov 1998 - Grosvenor
WDW, Aug 1980 - Fort Wilderness
WDW, Aug 1974 - Fort Wilderness - Toddling my way through MK!
amw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Sunseeker2012
Live for today

I tried for several years in a row to secure flights with Aeroplan points and was never able to get flights no matter what dates I would choose. I finally decided to use my points for Hotels and this year I used points for our Park tickets.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

You can use Aeroplan on US carriers too originating in the US..just FYI
For Air Canada and Christmas flights, I would say best bet is look as soon as they are in the system usually 350 days prior I think?
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers
Do any of you have experience booking flights to Florida with Aeroplan during the Christmas break? Specifically, is there a time that is better than others (ie when points to fly are reduced). We booked for a family of 4 about 5 years ago during Christmas for 100,000 points (return). Now the points are ridiculous!! You cannot even get that one way. I do not remember if I booked at a specific time then or not.
I had a hard time booking for Remembrance Day, for just two tickets. Ended up checking obsessively, like 4 and 5 times a day. Low and behold a rather nasty two stopover option came up (Halifax to Montreal to Washington to Orlando) and I took it because I just wanted to use the points and be done of aeroplan. I have been trying to use these points for years and find it very difficult to find anything with them.

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Tropics
Mouseketeer

In the last couple of years it has been getting nearly impossible to use aeroplan points to any of the good destinations. DH travels to Saskatoon and we never have any problems getting flights but if we want to book to a popular US destination then it's super tough. I wanted to book 3 seats on points to Orlando for this December. I started looking December 2012 even couple of days. The flight times were all bad and most of the availability was on United (not a fun way to travel with a young child). I wanted to use points so I had to suck it up and book a "classic plus" flight requiring double the number of points for something good. Aeroplan's time is over. It's time to start looking for a better rewards travel company.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

THat's good to know, we have some "orphan" points in both our AP accounts since we stopped collecting a few years ago. I forgot how miserable it was to try to book flights...I did notice that the AP miles required for park tickets of various sorts seem better than the amounts required for AM ticket purchases, and AP seems to have more options. So, you've just talked me into using those AP points for park tickets...

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

We faced the same issue -- using the Aeroplan points for flights was near-on impossible. We just cleared out DH's account for three passes for Universal this last Christmas.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
melbrujack
Earning My Ears

Cool

We booked a trip to Europe for next month, on my father and FIL's aeroplan points. We have flights from he*l! We are spending 9 hrs in TO, and 4 hrs in Dusseldorff on way to Moscow. We are then flying from Frankfurt and have to O/N in TO on way back, I see there is a flight that will get us back to Charlottetown, but it will cost more money than a hotel to change!

I am sick of Aeroplan too. My only advice is to do what someone else mentioned and look at flights many times a day, as they do change a lot.

We are thinking about changing our CIBC Aerogold to some other CC, but will have to wait until Oct, as we paid for the year. Does anyone have a better recommendation for a CC. I heard Avion from RBC was good. Any suggestions?

Melissa
melbrujack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I have both Aerogold-Infinite and RBC Avion Infinite
Avion is good. Space isn't an issue as long as there is a seat on the flight you wish. They do have a price cap though so you get X amount of dollars redeeming for economy and X amount for business. I find the economy is adequate but the business class allowance isn't nearly enough. Might make a dent and that's about it. Also, Avion requires slightly higher point redemption than Aeroplan. Usually about 5,000 more per flight.

They all have their loopholes
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

We like Avion too but it definitely takes more points to get a flight. A normal North American flight is 25,000 on aeroplan but is 35,000 on Avion. That 10,000 is a big difference but you can just about always get flights.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Our primary credit card now is the TD Travel Rewards Card. We really like this one as it gives travel dollar credit (1.5% of your charges to the card) for any type of travel related expense. We use it for airfare, Disney tickets, hotel rooms etc. You book and pay with the card then redeem the dollar value to cover the cost of your travel expenses. REALLY GOOD CARD!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

We now use Scotiabank Passport Visa and it is a travel rewards card. You get 1 point for every dollar spent, and then the points are redeemed against travel for anything, flights, cruise, package, etc. at a rate of 1 cent per point I think. So for my 100,000 points I get 1000 in travel. It doesn't seem like much but they add up much faster than Aeroplan for me (1 point for every 10 or 20 spent?) and I can use them anytime, for any flight. I can also book through Scotia Travel and save 5% off the price of any flight, cruise, package. So combined this has been working great for us.

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: