Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #61
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Why not just say, "thanks for your concern. Everything is fine."?

You can't break down like that in front of your kids, especially over something that is insignificant in the grand scheme of things (no one was hurt, no one got in trouble, no lasting repercussions five minutes later.) You have to set a good example for your children.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #62
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran

No, you did not do anything wrong, except not stand up for yourself.

I sure hope the agent doesnt think all parents will react like you did because at some point in time she will run into someone with anger management issues who does not appreciate being chastised in front of her children/ about her children.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #63
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandychelle79 View Post
No, you did not do anything wrong, except not stand up for yourself.

I sure hope the agent doesnt think all parents will react like you did because at some point in time she will run into someone with anger management issues who does not appreciate being chastised in front of her children/ about her children.
I think I would like to hear the gate agents side of things. Is it possible the kids were acting up? Rough-housing, wandering around? Maybe she was concerned because the kids were doing something she felt was unsafe.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #64
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

I'm thinking the crying had more to do with the stress of the situation-having to go inside with 4 kids and the luggage and the poop.

Maybe next time your DH can take some of the kids with him and not leave you with EVERYTHING in the airport.

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #65
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Southwest Agent was out of line. I'd be calling the main office.

And posters suggested CPS be called? On what planet???

No law or procedure was broken here. An 11 year old is in 5th grade, for heaven's sake.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #66
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
Maybe next time your DH can take some of the kids with him and not leave you with EVERYTHING in the airport.
I don't see this as unusual at all. Drop off the luggage, the wife, and the kids, and DH takes the car to parking.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #67
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Based on the OPs super-sensitivity (stood there and cried, sat there humiliated and shaking), I'm not so sure the gate agent was as loud and irate as the OP made it sound. And I think the worst thing the girls witnessed was their mother not being able to stand up for herself, not that she got reprimanded by a gate agent. They learned that when something like that happens, the reaction to have is to cry and be humiliated instead of sticking up for yourself.
That's what I thought, too.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #68
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
Southwest Agent was out of line. I'd be calling the main office.

And posters suggested CPS be called? On what planet???

No law or procedure was broken here. An 11 year old is in 5th grade, for heaven's sake.
11 years old is 7th grade here. I couldn't imagine someone wanting to call CPS because a 7th grader was left unattended for 10 minutes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #69
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
I would have wanted to change an oozing poopy mess right away as well, and would have trusted kids those ages to wait together until dad arrived or I finished and returned. The airport sounds like it was quiet and obviously there is security there. The security guard could have kept an eye on them if she was concerned, it doesn't sound like interrogating them was necessary. I'm sorry it was so upsetting for you, hopefully your husband de-escalated the situation when he arrived.
This is the entitlement attitude that the security guard probably encounters all the time and what probably prompted some of the guard's actions.

It is NOT the security guards job to play babysitter. They are in charge of keeping the airport secure, not watching little children while their parents are in the bathroom. Especially since a PP already said that parents are known to just leave children in the airport to go gambling.

And this was a gate agent, not a security guard. Definitely not a babysitter.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 02-21-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #70
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
My daughter is 14. No way would I leave her anywhere at airport alone with luggage or/and in charge of siblings. She's a minor. The poop would have to wait until my hubby came back. It sounds like it wasn't just going pee pee...it seemed like a long time in the bathroom, which is noticeable. Ever watch youtube? Not only the thieves that hang out at the airport but also predators. No way. This has nothing to do with airport employees, agents, etc. Or crying.

:
Really??? You wouldn't leave your 14 year old alone? I have a 14 year old son and see no issue asking him to watch his 3 year old brother when I have to go to the bathroom in the airport. In 4 short years he will be 18 and in college and I want to make sure he is prepared. If you never allow them to learn how to be in a different situation how will they learn when you are not there. I think you are making a mistake by babying your daughter.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #71
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
My daughter is 14. No way would I leave her anywhere at airport alone with luggage or/and in charge of siblings. She's a minor. The poop would have to wait until my hubby came back. It sounds like it wasn't just going pee pee...it seemed like a long time in the bathroom, which is noticeable. Ever watch youtube? Not only the thieves that hang out at the airport but also predators. No way. This has nothing to do with airport employees, agents, etc. Or crying.
14? Dd16 has been flying alone since the age of 11. Yes, you can be too overprotective. Not letting kids learn the skills they will need to navigate the rest of their lives in order for mom not be made to feel uncomfortable isn't right.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #72
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

If the children were so close to the restroom, why wouldn't one of the older girls just tell the agent that their mom was in the restroom or open the door and call to you saying there was a problem.

It bothers me that your oldest would speak and give out info to anyone just because they were wearing a uniform. It's perfectly acceptable for a child to say that her mom is in the restroom right there and that she is not allowed to give out information to strangers.

I agree that you had your hands full with 4 children and luggage. Perhaps your husband should have taken the two youngest with him since he was leaving all the luggage with you. Of course, if all 6 of you went to drop off the rental car, it is possible to use a luggage cart to move things around and you would have had your husband with you to help watch the children.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #73
TheSchragFamily
Mouseketeer

This is crazy. What if a single mom has a son with her? She can't leave an 11-year-old boy outside the women's room with the suitcases? Totally ridiculous. I'd file a complaint.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #74
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Not sure what bothers me more about this thread, that one poster thinks that a call to CPS would be an appropriate course of action, or that another poster thinks a 14 year old is to young to be left unattended. Good grief.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #75
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

I am surprised that you broke down and cried. That is way too much drama for a simple problem. I would have had the two older ones stand outside the restroom with the luggage and take. The 4 year old with me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: