Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Would you go to DC if you couldnt do the Dolphin swim?

I'm trying to talk DH into the dolphin swim. I thought he would say ok if it's just the kids and me. But it's a lot of extra money with even 3.
Will we regret not doing the dolphin swim? Is it worth it?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
greenclan67
Callie35

We did the dolphin swim the first year, we have been back twice since then and we will return in 3 weeks for our 3rd visit. We don't miss the dolphin swim at all. Don't get me wrong we loved our dolphin swim day as well but we do love not having the time constraints of the dolphin swim as well. It is a geat park. Plus you won't miss something you haven't done just enjoy the park.

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
sunsetpointe727
Earning My Ears

I have been to DC three times over the years and have done the dolphin swim each time. While the dolphin swim was great to have the experience, my favorite memories come from just relaxing in the lazy river or feeding the birds in the aviary and swimming with the fish and rays. You can still sit in beach chairs right behind where they do the dolphin interactions so you can still see them and watch the show they put on at the end of each swim. I would definitely tell you to still go even if you can't do the dolphin swim because you and your family will have a great time. Just a tip, if you do choose to go make sure to go feed the birds in the aviary first thing in the morning because that is when they are often the hungriest since it is their breakfast and not many people are there at that time. Have fun!
sunsetpointe727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

We are going in two weeks and it will be our first time at DC. We opted not to do the dolphin swim this time(2A 2C) to save some money. This is also our "relaxing" day of the vacation so I didn't want to have ANY time constraints. I just wanted to be able to go where ever, when ever I can let you know if we were disappointed that we didn't do it, but honestly we really won't know what we are missing and I'm not even sure my youngest would actually get in the water with the dolphins.
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We had an absolute blast on our visit without the dolphin swim (we have been twice....once with the dolphin experience and once without, and had an equally good time at both!). DC is a full day of wonderful activities, and the dolphin swim is really just a small part. With snorkelling in the Grand Reef, eating all the yummy food and snacks, visiting the birds in the Aviary, eating again, making sandcastles on the beach, eating some more, floating along the lazy river, watching the monkeys and the otters play in the Freshwater Oasis, and did I mention all the great things to eat?!? .... there's TONS to do.

Go and enjoy . You will not be sorry!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

We have been twice and not done the dolphin swim. We kept very busy bouncing from the reef to the aviary to the otters and back again that we did not miss the dolphin swim at all. In fact, I don't know what I would have traded to have the time to do it.
You will be surprised how fast the day goes. It will be closing and if you are like me you will NOT want to leave.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

I've only been once (Last Christmas eve) and did the dolphin swim. It was amazing! I had once done the dolphin expirience at Sea World in San Diego, but it was still great! :D
BUT! I would have done DC even without the dolphin swim, and if I ever come back, I don't think I would splurge for the dolphin swim. It is only like 1 hour top that you use for the swim, and there is so much to see and do - so I actually don't think you'll miss it
Discovery Cove is amazing! You get a day in paradise!
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
CerysG
Mouseketeer

We did the dolphin swim our first time and this time we are going to do the deep sea dive thing (though our 9 year old can't do it due to a regulation about her age and compressed air) and no one seems to mind about not doing it. I think they just enjoy the park.
CerysG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Lorix2
Pixie and Dylan's mom
You can only get so creative with green beans
Loves when things work out just right

Absolutely! There's still many fun things to do,my family still loves to talk about our trip in 2005. Have a great time!
Dolphin & Marriott Grande Vista April 2005
Marriott Grande Vista - April 2003
Sheraton Vistana Villages - April 2002
Lorix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
mjplantz
Always something to plan...

We did the dolphin swim last year and we are going back to DC this year and not doing the swim. We plan to do it on alternating years at this point. We love the snorkeling so will just spend extra time petting rays

Us DD(18) DD(13)
mjplantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

We just got back from our first visit to DC and didn't do the dolphin swim. We loved DC and there was so much to do that we didn't even think twice about not swimming with the dolphins. You can easily see the dolphin area and you can swim with fish and rays in the reef so I didn't feel like we were "missing out". We fed the dolphins at SW a few days later(for $7 a person) and that was awesome. They come right up to you and let you pet them and we got some great pictures doing this. I felt like this was a good alternative. Hope that helps!
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Leona Fishback
Mouseketeer

Absolutely. We went last year and did do the dolphin swim, but we aren't planning on doing it again on our upcoming trip. it's neat but it also takes up a lot of time. My kids (boys, 6, 8, 10) all liked other stuff better (Grand Reef was the big hit for the two older boys, little guy was ok with that but crazy about the lazy river, and making sand villages at the edge of the grand reef with other boys his age...their villages were cursed though - lots of horribly destructive hurricanes blew through).
Leona Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: