Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Happiest mommy
DIS Veteran

LockShockBarrel thank you for your response, you are right the teacher is the issue I have spoken to the principle about it and she has the disposition of "
I don't know this teacher for being that way, she is just very strict" she had a wonderful teacher last year and my DD did very well I would not pull her out at this point but will consider if she will be going back during the summer, I wish I could change her from class but that is only 2nd grade class and they have closed so many schools in my area that my DD's school is filled to capacity and more coming in Sept since a few more schools are closing after June, we have to send a save-a-seat payment now my mind is racing with questions found a nice site today called Time4learning getting more info on that so much info out there its confusing...

Cookie (RIP 5/10/10) you gave us 15 years of pure Love and Loyalty we miss you so...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Visits: 2007, 2008, 2010 and planning 2014
Happiest mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

I lived in NY state when I first started homeschooling. The laws seem really hard to follow but they are not. Take the rest of this school year to research. Try to find a homeschool group and attend a few meetings. It does not have to be very expensive and it can be a ton of fun.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Happiest mommy
DIS Veteran

just saw a teaser for a Documentary coming out this year about Homeschooling called Class Dismissed wow! very interesting ....

Cookie (RIP 5/10/10) you gave us 15 years of pure Love and Loyalty we miss you so...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I think you've gotten some good advice so far. If it were me, I'd just very carefully make sure you have all your ducks in order before making a decision either way. More importantly, I don't think I'd bring it up to your child until you were very close to a decision, but when you get to that point ask your daughter how she feels about it. Present it in a way that's realistic.. "Mommy can teach you at home but it's still school between this time and this time" rather than "You don't have to go to yucky school anymore" you know what I mean?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #20
melindae10
Mouseketeer

Next year my daughter is starting K and going to I guess you would call an "alternative" school. It is called a parent partnership program and is through the local public school district. She will go to maybe one or two classes per week and I will do the rest of the education at home. I can kind og pick and choose which subjects I am not comfortable teaching myself, or they have fun classes like Ballet and Gymnastics, etc. It will give her a taste of "school" but also gives me more control over her education. I don't know how many of those are around the country?? I also know in our area that I could enroll my daughter into any public school part time. Each family is different and you have to do what works best for yours! Good luck, it always works out in the end!
melindae10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #21
dansamy
DIS Veteran

If you & your child want to homeschool, do your research. There are options. I homeschool mine. I'm a nurse and I work 3 nights a week so I can work with the kids. We have a co-op we attend once a week.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #22
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
If you & your child want to homeschool, do your research. There are options. I homeschool mine. I'm a nurse and I work 3 nights a week so I can work with the kids. We have a co-op we attend once a week.
I'm a nurse tech and follow the same schedule! OP, give your daughter lots of love right now! Bless her heart. I have been that kid crying in the classroom. Its so hard to learn when your miserable.

We have homeschooled our four kids from the beginning. (We live in Tx. so its pretty easy here). I haven't done a great job necessarily and there are aspects that I'm disappointed with, but the one thing I love is my kid's confidence levels. And the fact that they love to learn! We've had plenty of family and friends who were very verbal about their disagreement with our choice to homeschool, but in the end, its our choice, and it has been wonderful for our kids. In time, they've come around to agree with our decision.

On another note, if you homeschool, you can go to Disney whenever you want!
ASMu 2009
MK2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #23
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Is this same teacher going to be teaching her next year? Or will it be someone else entirely?

I guess I have a hard time writing off an entire school..especially when you're paying for it...because of one teacher. You said she had a great experience in K. The school year is more than 1/2 over, and you mentioned that you'd have to save a seat now for next year because of overcrowding. At this point, I would probably help my daughter find ways to deal with this teacher and try and wait out the year and hopefully get a better teacher next year.

That's not to say homeschooling is a bad option. It's just not one I would go to because of one bad teacher.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

I have never homeschooled so I can't give practical advice on that. I do want to encourage you to be empowered to take control of your child's education. I had issues with the public schools and ended up moving mine to private catholic education. I wish I had paid more attention earlier and made a move. I have realized that there is no one size fits all of kids. You know you child best and only you can decide what is right. There are also no permanent answers. You can try homeschooling and if it is not for your family you can change. You started the post with "I wish I could homeschool" as oppossed to "I am having a problem with my daughter and school". I think you may already know what you want to do.
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
glassslippergirl
Mouseketeer

Dear Happiest Mommy,

I'm sorry that you're having problems at your child's school. In your original post, you mentioned only that you can not volunteer at the school. Have you tried having a conference with your child's teacher to discuss your concerns? I am a teacher in public school, and we have conferences like this all the time. Make a list of your specific concerns, and positively and tactfully bring them up in a face-to-face, scheduled meeting. Most teachers are used to this and welcome the opportunity to learn more about the student so they can better meet the student's needs. Also, be sure to listen to let the teacher has to create. She may offer you some insight into the situation that you hadn't considered before. If that meeting is unsuccessful, then you can also schedule meetings with higher-ups at the school such as guidance counselor or the principal. Maybe your child could be moved to a different class at the same grade level. It could just be a problem with that teacher, and changing classes would solve it.

I understand your concerns about your limitations in homeschooling your child. I am a certified teacher with 14 years experience, and I would still not feel qualified teaching my child in every subject. I would feel like I was limiting him in some way. You also mentioned that you're in the process of selling your house, so your child's days at the school are likely numbered. Use your experiences here to help guide you in choosing a new school for your child when you move.
glassslippergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Happiest mommy
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your continued responses I have had meetings with this teacher she knows my concerns and what my DD has been feeling she just says that my DD seems fine, my DD seems very stressed and is afraid of this teacher too, I've spoken with other parents and I am not the only one with similar issues its frustrating, its a private parochial school and to the principal this teacher can do no wrong, I spoke with the school counselor and she is seeing my DD every other week I had to do this because one Sunday as I was getting her uniform ready my DD literally had a breakdown that I had never seen before crying and trembling telling me that she didnt want to go to school its been a rough year, I don't want to pull her since we only have a couple of months to go but I will be taking the summer to evaluate what I want to do, its true one teacher shouldnt be the basis for homeschooling but this year has left a really bad taste in my mouth.
I have so much on my mind and its a very big decision to make I wish my state would allow part time school but we live in NYC and its not allowed my mind is mush just taking day by day and HOPING she doesnt fail and has to go to summer school....

Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiest mommy View Post
Thank you all for your continued responses I have had meetings with this teacher she knows my concerns and what my DD has been feeling she just says that my DD seems fine, my DD seems very stressed and is afraid of this teacher too, I've spoken with other parents and I am not the only one with similar issues its frustrating, its a private parochial school and to the principal this teacher can do no wrong, I spoke with the school counselor and she is seeing my DD every other week I had to do this because one Sunday as I was getting her uniform ready my DD literally had a breakdown that I had never seen before crying and trembling telling me that she didnt want to go to school its been a rough year, I don't want to pull her since we only have a couple of months to go but I will be taking the summer to evaluate what I want to do, its true one teacher shouldnt be the basis for homeschooling but this year has left a really bad taste in my mouth.
I have so much on my mind and its a very big decision to make I wish my state would allow part time school but we live in NYC and its not allowed my mind is mush just taking day by day and HOPING she doesnt fail and has to go to summer school....
I know you mentioned she is the only teacher for that grade. My DD was somewhat like that in Grade 1. I took her to an Occupational Therapist so she learned coping skills. You mentioned the teacher is strict but other than that; is there any other issue? How are her grades? I know it's especially hard for children but in life we have to learn to deal with people we don't like sometimes. Why is your DD afraid of this teacher? Because she is strict or is there some other reason? Most teachers in my DD's school are strict. That is just part of her parochial school. As I mentioned earlier, that type of enviornment is not for everyone. Are there other private schools you can send her to that are less strict?

Best wishes, I know it's not easy when our kids are hurting.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Is there an online school in NY? I don't homeschool, and have no real advice other than they've been playing commercials in Iowa for Connections Academy, which is online K-12 school. This page is also giving me an ad for Ohio Connections Academy, so it must be in other states too.

I was miserable in 1st grade too and begged my mom to homeschool me. I was bored and didn't have friends. My teacher was nice though. She told me that she had to have a teaching degree to do that so I had to go to school. Actually, they ended up switching me to 2nd grade after 2 weeks of 1st grade and that made all the difference. I liked my classmates and the harder work. So definitely look into all possible causes of being miserable before making big decisions.

I know it's hard making your kid go somewhere they don't want to- been there with daycare!
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Im in Philly, with twins about to enter Kindy, and I wish I could homeschool too. Our public school is NOT good, and so far I've entered 12 charter school lotteries for Kindy and so far 5 have passed with no luck. I am hoping in a few years we'll be financially able to live off one income, but I've just spent a boatload of money each month on a daycare/preschool monthly payment that is more than my mortgage. I need time to recover financially.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiest mommy View Post
...I spoke with the school counselor and she is seeing my DD every other week I had to do this because one Sunday as I was getting her uniform ready my DD literally had a breakdown that I had never seen before crying and trembling telling me that she didnt want to go to school its been a rough year, I don't want to pull her since we only have a couple of months to go....
I would pull her this instant.

2nd grade and having a breakdown from seeing her uniform? What on earth is happening in that classroom? If you had a babysitter and your daughter was miserable and freaked out because she saw something related to being babysat, *what would go through your mind*??? What is happening? When children are getting more and more depressed, I know what runs through MY mind as to the possible reasons. What would be going through your mind if the teacher were a man? Why should it be any different? Pull her out of that class. (I'm not SAYING that she's being abused, but it sure would go through my head with the changes in the girl's mental state...and regardless, changes like this mean that SOMETHING is wrong)

I think your mind is mush because you WANT to take her out of school, but are afraid, AND you're dealing with a miserable child to boot. you can take care of one of those things TODAY. Bet everything will be a lot more clear once she is happy.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: