Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #31
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
My top 10 for me and my wife, in no particular order:

1. Less
2. Less
3. Not as much as you think.
4. Remove some of that.
5. Not that.
6. Nope
7. Bathing suit
8. Passport or other identification
9. Less
10. Remove that
This is what I have promised DH for this next cruise. That is my goal.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #32
tluther5406
Mouseketeer

The Ziploc XXL or XL Big Bags are great for dirty clothes and packing things that you don't care if they wrinkle. On the way home, you put all your dirty clothes (preferably rolled to take up even less space) in the bag and then squeeze out all the air before sealing the bag. I am usually sitting on the bag to get all the air out like you see those people on the luggage commercials. The items will take up 1/2 or less of the space in your suitcase leaving room for souvenirs. You can even use the bags on the way there for packing things such as pajamas that you don't care if they wrinkle. We keep a set of the bags just for dirty clothes when traveling. Be careful if flying because you can easily exceed the luggage weight limits using these so we bring a portable luggage scale for that purpose.
tluther5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #33
Scoundrellv
Earning My Ears

i agree with most

especially the power strip. We take a ton of photos/video so i bring my laptop and a spare external harddrive. can buy a nice 2Tb for 80 bucks each night i download the camera into the harddrive then recharge he camera so each day have a ton of storage to photo video whatever i want. the other upside is that the laptopalso becomes the entertainment/movie center for the kids. rip the movies to the harddrive and they can watch avengers over and over.

Also since we are a family of seven wife, 3 daughters and this upcoming trip my folks. we are bringing family walkie-talkies they cost like 10-15 a pair. that way when its time to gather everyone for meals can just call them.

the final item i haven't seen is good strong magnets if you don't want to go the shoe holder route they can hold a bunch of stuff to the door. just don't pack them near the harddrive or laptop
Scoundrellv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
ktnryansmom
Mouseketeer

Subscribing
ktnryansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #35
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer

Small portable flashlight with glow in the dark handles. This comes in handy when you are staying in an inside stateroom which is pretty dark. It sits on the nightstand.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aredhead View Post
Extra cash for tips
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
3 less pairs of shorts anf shirts per person thann last time (Most days we went from bathing suits to dinner clothes)
1black skirt to mix/match dinner outfits
1 pair of cute black strappy sandals...not 4
Small swing pack or crossbody bag...eave phone doesn't fit in most wristlets
yup

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #37
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

I bring maybe 5-10 ziplock bags whenever I travel anywhere. You would be amazed how much use they actually get. For example, if I have one in my pocket when it starts to rain, I put my camera in it to protect from damage. I bring a large silica pack in a sealed bag just in case I need to get moisture out of any of my electronics.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

I travel a fair amount for work. Last year our whole family went on a trip in an airplane. As we were going through security my wife was shocked as I grabbed a handful of the complimentary ziplock bags. I told her I always do this and you never know when you are going to need it. She laughed at me.

30 mintues into it 3 Hour fight, our youngest child (who at the time was 3 months) needed her diaper changed. As my wife was finishing she looked at me like where am I going to put this. Anticipating that ths was about to happen, I simultaiously was handing her one of the bags. That was the moment she saw the value in my grabbing the bags. There was a many times through out the trip that they came in use.

Another tip is skip the plastic packing bags and get zipper bags. I can get a link for them if anyone is interested. It is amazing how much stuff can be packed into them. Plus when you unpack or need to get something out it makes things much easier. Also when you get to the hotel or ship you just hand everyone their packing cube and it makes unpacking a breeze.

Last edited by mmcxiiad; 02-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #39
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
I travel a fair amount for work. Last year our whole family went on a trpk in an airplane. As we were going through security my wife was shocked as I grabbed a handful of the complimentary ziplock bags. I told her I always do this and you never know when you are going to need it. She laughed at me.

30 mintues into it 3 Hour fight, our youngest child (who at the time was 3 months) needed her diaper changed. As my wife was finishing she looked at me like where am I going to put this. Anticipating that ths was about to happen, I simultaiously was handing her one of the bags. That was the moment she saw the value in my grabbing the bags. There was a many times through out the trip that they came in use.

Another tip is skip the plastic packing bags and get zipper bags. I can get a link for them if anyone is interested. It is amazing how much stuff can be packed into them. Plus when you unpack or need to get something out it makes things much easier. Also when you get to the hotel or ship you just hand everyone their packing cube and it makes unpacking a breeze.
Love the packing cubes !! Funny story about the diaper
Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #40
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcxiiad View Post
I travel a fair amount for work. Last year our whole family went on a trpk in an airplane. As we were going through security my wife was shocked as I grabbed a handful of the complimentary ziplock bags. I told her I always do this and you never know when you are going to need it. She laughed at me.

We do this too. Gallon bags for clothes and quart size bags for everything else. We bring an entire box of quart bags (inside bags).
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
plutojudy
Needs sunshine and seas.

This was the first trip we used packing cubes (a tip from the DIS) and they are GREAT! Makes unpacking and repacking a breeze. I bought blue for my husband and pink for me.

Cruise # 13 - Magic - February 22, 2015
Cruise # 14 - Fantasy - February 13, 2016 - Tortola

Disney Wonder - 2000 Nassau, 2001 Nassau, Freeport, 2011 Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan
Disney Magic - 2002 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John 2003 Western Mystery cruise, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Key West, 2004 Western, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, 2007 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, 2009 Eastern, St Croix, St Thomas 2010 Eastern, St Martin, St Thomas, St John
Disney Dream -2012 Nassau
Disney Fantasy - 2013 Eastern, St Thomas, San Juan 2014 Western, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica
Disneyland Hotel, Fort Wilderness Home, Yacht and Beach Club, Caribbean Beach, Dixie Landings, All Star Movie, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Music, Art of Animation
plutojudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #42
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We do this too. Gallon bags for clothes and quart size bags for everything else. We bring an entire box of quart bags (inside bags).
I used to use plastic bags. What I found is you can't put as much stuff in them and there is too much empty space in the bag. If you put too much in, they rip. Plus they aren't ideal for getting things in and out. Then I found some mesh packing cubes. I have two different ones that I use. The first is made by rick steves.. These are great for any luggage and I use these in my rolling suitcase I take through the airport.

The other one is made by tom bihn. If you aren't familiar with tom bihn bags, well, they aren't cheap but they are very high quality bags made in america. If you can afford them they are really worth it. We have 2 aeronaut bags with the custom fitting packing cubes. The benifit of these cubes is there is no unused space in the bag and you can get a crazy amount of stuff in them. We have packed a week's worth of clothes (and diapers) for our entire family with 4 kids (9, 6, 4 & 1.5) in only 2 of these bags. I can't rave enough about them. Again, not cheap but totally worth it.

In either case the advantage of packing cubes vs any type of ziplock or plastic packing bag is you can really pack a lot more in them without having to worry about the bag ripping. And they are made of a mesh material so it is easy to see what is in them.

After the trip, I take the plastic laundry bags in hotel rooms and line the packing cube and put all my dirty clothes in them. then when I get home, the bag goes strait to the laundry room.

Regardless fo which type you use another great advantage is when you get the "full service treatment" from TSA (that is when they want to find something that is causing a problem as your bags going through security). Packing cubes makes it very easy for them to pull everything out and find the problem. Then when they hand you back your bag, it is very easy to not only get everything back in, but it is still very organized. And since the bags only contain clothes, they typically never have to opend then and mess with your unmentionables. Again, these are vital to travel!

Last edited by mmcxiiad; 02-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #43
disneytheway
Mouseketeer

First time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats12 View Post
I second the over the door shoe hanger and power strips. I would also add waterproof command hooks for the bathroom. Way too many wet bathing suits that you have to move on and off the clothes line when you want to take a shower. Just put the hooks on the wall and some extra drip dry space without having to move them all the time.

I overpack like crazy. Still have plenty of room in my standard inside cabin. No worries.
OMG. I always overpack and am scared that their wont be enough space to put our stuff.
disneytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #44
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

The DW and I just got off the Fantasy today and had a state room with verandah. Just the two of us. Their was plenty of room and outlets so we did not need a power strip or the over the door shoe hanger. Maybe with more then two in the room you would need these things. One thing that was useful to us was two water bottles.We bought two water bottles at CVS or the dollar store and when we needed water for things such as the movies or excursions we just took them to the soda dispensers on deck 11 and filled them with ice and water.The water on board is just as good as bottled water so their is no need to bring a case of water on board.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #45
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
My top 10 for me and my wife, in no particular order:

1. Less
2. Less
3. Not as much as you think.
4. Remove some of that.
5. Not that.
6. Nope
7. Bathing suit
8. Passport or other identification
9. Less
10. Remove that
Love it!!! We vowed that on our next cruise everyone gets one suitcase!!! This time we had five for three of us - okay one and a half had FE stuff in them - also not going to do as much FE stuff.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: