Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
cwasil
Earning My Ears

Planning Guru's

We will finally be setting into motion our plan of going to WDW from 5/18 to 5/29 and I need some devil's advocates to poke holes in my plan or give me some different options.

First off...(2) adults, 16dd, 7ds, 6dd, 1ds. My father and stepmom will probably be joining us for several days staying whereever we will be at.

We're flying. No way on God's green earth would I drive 24'ish hours with three small children. Those who do are better people than I. The price tag of this, as of 2/19, is $1100 which is a very good deal I think

Currently we're leaning towards staying at Bonnet Creek. Since there is no free dining it seems to be, in my mind, a matter of convenience vs. luxury (so to speak) and I'd rather have a 2 or 3 bedroom condo, with all the home appliances and room to spread out vs an AoA room. In looking at Ebay and such I feel pretty confident about getting the room for $1800 or less over the 10 days.

If we go the route of Bonnet Creek we'll certainly need a minivan and I'm getting a total of $550 on Orbitz so I'm sure there's more tax's or insurance or something, I'm looking $650.

Disney 7 day pass for all of is around $1500 at undercover tourist and I can't do any better than that.

As a wild guess I'm thinking $250/day for food. We plan on eating breakfast at the Condo with the rest taking place at Disney World or the beaches or whereever else we go but I'm sure they'll be some days the kids just will want to stay by the pool and we'll eat lunch and dinner there also.

I'm planning, maybe, $200 for gas, $150 in airport parking fees and $800 for souveniers. I suppose another $500 for whatever else I'm forgetting.

Overall, I'm getting around $8000 for the trip. Does this sound about right to you? Really, I'd rather stay on sight but I don't want to be in a can of sardines so if you think there are some different options let me know.

I'll open it up for questions, observation and snide comments now. I'd love to make this cheaper but don't want to sacrifice a good nights sleep over it. Kid's will enjoy this no matter what but I'd like myself, my wife and my 16 year old to enjoy this to so any ideas you have would be appreciated. I don't want to come back to Wisconsin needing a vacation from the vacation. Thank you.
cwasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

I know folks are dead set Bonnet Creek on these boards, but I think you can do better. I never pay over $100 inclusive a night for a house in Florida, and I was just there last Xmas. ( non disney trip) and I have a bunch of kids too. Saving you $700-800

I would look in Windsor Hills, Indian Creek, Emerald Island, Windsor Palms...to name a few. Read the Orlando board here. There is a back entrance on Sherbeth Road and when we stayed at Windsor Hills in 2010, it literally took 10 minutes to AK.

I think your airfare is an awesome price.

The minvan, I also think you can do better with codes closer to your dates. Maybe by at least $200+

Here are menus for Disny World so you can estimate better. http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm Maybe plan some dinners in and you will save even more here.

Don't forget parking at $14?? a day and tips on table service meals.

Nothing snide from me.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
damiel
DIS Veteran

The first question I have is there anyone that might be retired military or a DOD employee? If so there are great WDW ticket discounts available. There is also the ability to rent time share condos for $379.00 a week! No lie, we stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club for $379.00 in a three bedroom for a week.
Check Costco Travel for car rental. I plugged in your travel dates and I saw a mini van from Alamo for $423.00, with tax and fees it came to $515.00. Check back often as the prices change sometimes daily. On my trip to DL in March my car rental started out over $500.00 4 months ago. I check back with Costco travel every few days and it is down to $183.00!
Get a Target Red Debit Card and get 5% off of all Target purchases. You can use your Red Card on Disney gift cards and save $ on all purchases you make onn Disney property. (food and souviners).
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
cwasil
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the replies...some might actually work.

I never really thought about it but my father was a Vietnam War vet so I suppose he could get us some of those (4) day hopper passes for $156 but, since he's going to be there at the tail end of our 11 day trip it may just make more sense to do the undercover tourist deal. The fine print says he needs to be there to get the passes "activated" and I don't believe he's going to even be in Orlando for our first week.

The Target Card intrigues me. I have seen the Disney Gift Cards at Target so...I can buy them for a 5% discount and then use them to buy all my food and gifts at the parks? If so, I'm sure that could save me a few bucks.

I looked at the CostCo website and I can get a minivan through them for $505 vs. $542 at orbitz however I have not searched out any coupons yet but I'll certainly keep that in mind.

The coolest thing I did was search the Windsor Hills and such. It led me to a website called FlipKey which had, literally, thousands of vacation rental choices for me at a fraction of what I had intended on spending for a Bonnet Creek 2bd condo. I can get a 5bd 5ba house with a pool for the same price. In general I think I'll be able to get something a bit bigger than what I intended for around $1000'ish vs. the $1800...so thanks alot for the heads up on that.

Bonnet Creek, I believe was actually inside the gates so, if I go with a different non-Disney choice, I'm going to take a look at Restaurant.com & sign up online with the local restaurants...maybe get some deals there for the days we don't eat inside "the World".

So far, if everything happens as intended, you guys will probably save me close to $1000 so thank you. Any more ideas you have will certainly be appreciated.

Chad
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

Vrbo and homeaway.com also...are the main sites for renting. Also another good one is windsorhillsrent.com. You fill out the form for what you want, and the owner's will come back with offers.

Think about what you want in a house. King bed? Downstairs bedroom? Game room, pool? The market is VERY competitive in Orlando. You can exactly what you want.

I would sign up for Groupon also for the area. Reconsider cooking supper at the house. We always buy "vacation food" (snacks, ribeye steaks, shrimp...yummy) and grill a lot, eat lunch out and still only spend about $400 for a WEEK of vacation for my whole family.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
cwasil
Earning My Ears

Hmmm...another good idea. We don't feel like cooking much as it is a "vacation", however grilling out steaks, shrimp and other good stuff like that certainly would still make it feel like a vacation for, probably, far less than what it would be inside the gates. Personally, I can see character meals as having some WDW vacation value to them but any other eating inside the park is purely because of convenience. No one wants to drag (4) kids out of the park just to eat...however, we've got seven days at the the parks and, I'm guessing, come the 5th or the 6th day I don't think I'll get too many objections at leaving the park at a reasonable time to go back and grill out something good at the condo and relax.

I can't believe all the people trying to rent out their places. You're absolutely correct...if we can't find exactly what we want out of housing, for a reasonable price, then we certainly didn't look hard enough.

Good idea on the Groupons I'll sign up for those now along with the other "Groupon" style websites.

Keep the ideas coming...I get the feeling I'm too close to the situation and got bogged down in the number of choices I had available.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would order pizza one night from Flippers. They have awesome pizza. If you are at Windsor Hill there is one like 5 minutes aways as well as a Super Target. You could also get from Target chicken that is already fried and sides or a whole chicken that has already be roasted and sides to go with it.

There is also a great place called Sweet Tomatoes over by Target. Its a place that has 55 feet of salad bar, pizza, pasta, dessert. Sign up on their site for coupons and they always have one that 4 people can dine for $20 plus drinks. http://www.souplantation.com/

The van.. As it gets closer to your trip is when you will see the best prices on vans. What I would suggest is hanging out on the Transportation thread and look for the May 2013 thread. A lot of folks will post there discount codes they have found. You can get some great deals from fellow Diser's

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwasil View Post
I never really thought about it but my father was a Vietnam War vet so I suppose he could get us some of those (4) day hopper passes for $156 but, since he's going to be there at the tail end of our 11 day trip it may just make more sense to do the undercover tourist deal. The fine print says he needs to be there to get the passes "activated" and I don't believe he's going to even be in Orlando for our first week.
That wouldn't work anyway. He would have to be either ACTIVE military or RETIRED military. Veteran status doesn't qualify one for the discount.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwasil View Post
The Target Card intrigues me. I have seen the Disney Gift Cards at Target so...I can buy them for a 5% discount and then use them to buy all my food and gifts at the parks? If so, I'm sure that could save me a few bucks.
That's exactly how it works. I used my Target card to purchase Disney GCs and then paid for my DVC dues with them but you can use the GCs to pay for souvenirs and food at any place in the parks that is owned by Disney. There are a few exceptions but not many. I plan to buy several more when my vacation gets closer so that I can pay for my meals.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
juliecs
Earning My Ears

Chad[/QUOTE]

I calld Target Red Card cs todag and the Sr. Supervisor said gift cards do NOT get the 5% discount. The nonprofit on your card will still get their % but the customers purchasing the Disney gift cards will pay full price. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm headed to Target tomorrow.
juliecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
jmsaj
Mouseketeer

I calld Target Red Card cs todag and the Sr. Supervisor said gift cards do NOT get the 5% discount. The nonprofit on your card will still get their % but the customers purchasing the Disney gift cards will pay full price. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm headed to Target tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

That is not true...I just purchased Disney gift cards at Target and did get the 5% discount on them. Not sure why the Sr Supervisor told you that.
jmsaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaj
I calld Target Red Card cs todag and the Sr. Supervisor said gift cards do NOT get the 5% discount. The nonprofit on your card will still get their % but the customers purchasing the Disney gift cards will pay full price. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm headed to Target tomorrow.
That is not true...I just purchased Disney gift cards at Target and did get the 5% discount on them. Not sure why the Sr Supervisor told you that.[/QUOTE]

It is because Disney gift cards are listed as entertainment cards, I think?

It has to do with how the gift card is coded in their system

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Yes, Disney gift cards are counted as entertainment cards in their system, just like iTunes cards or restaurant cards. The only gift cards excluded from the 5% discount are Target giftcards and Visa-type cards.

For your van rental, did you price out Budget? Use the BCD code X474200. It is a travelocity code, but anyone can use it and you can book anywhere using it. Then you can also add a coupon code...for example mupz044. This coupon code will take an extra $40 off at the counter - it will not be reflected in your online total. This happens to be an aarp code, so not sure if you would need to show aarp membership card or not, but do a search for budget coupon codes and you will be able to find one that will work for you. I have not found a better BCD code for a minivan.

Hope this helps a fellow Wisconsinite

Enjoy your trip!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
budafam
DIS Veteran

That price seems high for Bonnet Creek. We had a 2 bedroom condo last May for a week and it costed us $690 total.

2 rooms at a value would be your best bet for staying onsite. You would save all that money instead of renting a vehicle (and parking fees which I didn't see added in there). Maybe cut a few days off the trip??? 7 days at the parks with 1 day for a DTD/rest day would be plenty.

Not sure where you're flying out of but if they have Southwest, check into them. You can get a credit card right now and spend $2000 on it within 3 months then you get 50,000 free points. That should cover a couple of the flights at least. I got myself and my husband each one of these cards (second time doing this) and we'll be flying for free in December.
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
There is also a great place called Sweet Tomatoes over by Target. Its a place that has 55 feet of salad bar, pizza, pasta, dessert. Sign up on their site for coupons and they always have one that 4 people can dine for $20 plus drinks. http://www.souplantation.com/
thanks for this, they just opened one close to my house and we haven't been yet. This will def get us there
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: