Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Universal CityWalk - Worth a trip?

We are not going to Universal on our upcoming trip, but I'm wondering if it would be worth checking out CityWalk on one of our non-park days? We have been to CityWalk at Universal Hollywood and really enjoyed it. I was also looking at the NASCAR Grille and wondering if it would worth doing. We have two teenaged boys who both love NASCAR. DS17, in particular, is a huge fan. He has Asperger's and NASCAR is one of this favorite things. He knows every race, driver, sponsor, history, etc. I think he would love going to eat there, as long as it's not too much of a hassle to get there and back. We are staying offsite at WorldQuest Resort and will have a rental car. Experiences? Opinions? Thanks!
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
usmcwife1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
We are not going to Universal on our upcoming trip, but I'm wondering if it would be worth checking out CityWalk on one of our non-park days? We have been to CityWalk at Universal Hollywood and really enjoyed it. I was also looking at the NASCAR Grille and wondering if it would worth doing. We have two teenaged boys who both love NASCAR. DS17, in particular, is a huge fan. He has Asperger's and NASCAR is one of this favorite things. He knows every race, driver, sponsor, history, etc. I think he would love going to eat there, as long as it's not too much of a hassle to get there and back. We are staying offsite at WorldQuest Resort and will have a rental car. Experiences? Opinions? Thanks!
I have no idea (sorry!!!) but wanted to add that my ODS also has Asperger's so I can relate fully to your DS being an expert on his favorite subjects! Mine is currently researching Disney (lol) and has turned into a walking guide book! Last night he began reciting information about the history of Epcot, it is amazing how well he can retain those facts! He also loves Nascar and asked about CityWalk so I'll be watching this thread

DONE: Post-Deployment trip (and first time) to WDW in September 2011!
DONE: Trip #2 Late April 2013!

TO DO: Plan Trip #3 June 2014! YAY!!
usmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies
My friends boyfriend loves NASCAR we went there a couple of years ago; we enjoyed the food, memorabilia, & staff. He still talks about it. Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
joanchris
Mouseketeer

We spent an afternoon there on our 2008 trip, if you have ample time to fit it into your schedule then it's a nice half day thing.
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

I don't know if its something to do for a day, but definitely worth going for the restaurants.
My boys loved Bubba Gumps and NBA City on our recent trip. If your son is into NASCAR the its a great place for him to go

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Sure. Just know that the restaurants can be very crowded. The food is overpriced and bland. But it can be fun.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

It's definitely worth it,I would suggest to go after 6pm when parking fee drops from the regular price and the place becomes more lively.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
megthewonderful
DIS Veteran

My son loves NASCAR and we usually set aside one evening to head over to CityWalk to go to the NASCAR Grille. I've never been there when it's crowded, but you can make a reservation through their website. The food isn't the best, but they do have memorabilia to check out and some video games, as well as a store. As previously recommended, go after 6 when the price to park drops.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Yes! Also, I would recommend late afternoon and evening hours. There are street bands and dancing. It's a nice family evening out. Also, if you haven't heard of the Blue Man Group, check them out. It requires tickets, but the entrance is on City Walk (not inside Universal).
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote