Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Tee it Up
Self Proclaimed Beer Snob

Oreo crossed the Rainbow Bridge today

Our beloved 15 year old furbaby Oreo crossed over the Rainbow Bridge today. It was one of the most heart wrenching decisions we have ever had to make, but I know it was the right thing to do.
She has been suffering from kidney failure for a few months now and lost 3 lbs. off of her already skinny 20 lb. body. She became so picky about food we just about went crazy trying to find something she would eat. That along with her incontinence, that kept her in diapers really reduced the quality of her life. But this morning was the final straw. Overnight she developed ataxia to the point where she could barely stand. It was heartbreaking to see her try to walk, only to stumble and fall over and over again.
The vet said if she were younger and in otherwise good health he would treat the ataxia, but in her frail condition we just couldnt put her through any more. Even though we know we did the right thing, it is still heartbreaking.
After having has a dog almost nonstop since 1978, I think we are going to take a break for a while. We need a breather.
Rest in Peace old girl, you were the best dog ever, and we will always love you.

I really want to post a photo of her, but the site won't let me for some reason. If I can figure it out, I will edit the post later

ETA: Picture:

Last edited by Tee it Up; 02-20-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Want to post a photo
Tee it Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Wcpedorc
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry for your loss.
Wcpedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Big hugs, so sorry
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee it Up View Post
Our beloved 15 year old furbaby Oreo crossed over the Rainbow Bridge today. It was one of the most heart wrenching decisions we have ever had to make, but I know it was the right thing to do.
She has been suffering from kidney failure for a few months now and lost 3 lbs. off of her already skinny 20 lb. body. She became so picky about food we just about went crazy trying to find something she would eat. That along with her incontinence, that kept her in diapers really reduced the quality of her life. But this morning was the final straw. Overnight she developed ataxia to the point where she could barely stand. It was heartbreaking to see her try to walk, only to stumble and fall over and over again.
The vet said if she were younger and in otherwise good health he would treat the ataxia, but in her frail condition we just couldnt put her through any more. Even though we know we did the right thing, it is still heartbreaking.
After having has a dog almost nonstop since 1978, I think we are going to take a break for a while. We need a breather.
Rest in Peace old girl, you were the best dog ever, and we will always love you.

I really want to post a photo of her, but the site won't let me for some reason. If I can figure it out, I will edit the post later

I am so, so sorry.

We, too, had to let our pup go to the bridge a few weeks ago due to kidney failure. She was suffering from the same things as your pup-and it was so hard to see her in pain.

You are right, it is heartbreaking. I try to take comfort in the fact that she knew she was loved and that we so very fortunate to have such a wonderful pup in our lives.

Hugs to you and your family...
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Goofyluver
Knock Knock
edited to make myself look better!rrrrrrrooooooowwwwwwwrrrrr
...pssst pssst...
toilet paper is dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee it Up View Post

I'm sorry. I hope you don't mind, but I went and grabbed the photo of your sweet baby. She's a very sweet looking girl. My thoughts are with you. I know how hard this is.

oreo after rolling in the grass by djrgolf1951, on Flickr
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Goofyluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
denisem
DIS Veteran

Godspeed, Oreo. My condolences to your humans.

We've also lost our two cats to kidney and heart failure in the last year or so, I understand wanting to take a break.

My Rocko and Millie cats were non-discriminatory against dogs , so they'll welcome Oreo to the Rainbrow bridge. Reading these boards for years, I think there must be a special DISboard area by now, populated by pets of these good folks.

Take care and hope your pain soon subsides into happy memories.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
chisnpeke
Got the blues on purple tag night
But there is NO WAY I could kill an animal and get it ready for eating

I'm so sorry
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I am sorry. I lost my puppy to kidney failure back in May it is so hard to see them suffer. She was a beautiful puppy
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

I am so sorry. Threads like these make my heart hurt. Rest in peace, sweet Oreo. Hugs to you OP
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Tee it Up
Self Proclaimed Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyluver View Post
I'm sorry. I hope you don't mind, but I went and grabbed the photo of your sweet baby. She's a very sweet looking girl. My thoughts are with you. I know how hard this is.

oreo after rolling in the grass by djrgolf1951, on Flickr
Thanks so much for posting the photo. She was a truly great dog.
Tee it Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Nagle
Proud Canadian

So very sorry for your loss.
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
mlittig
DIS Veteran

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful Oreo

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/6/14 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Philagoofy
Guess my favorite dog!
You must accept dust. You must become friends with dust. You are one with dust.

Oreo looks like she was a very sweet girl. I'm so sorry. I hope all of your wonderful memories of her will help in time. I know how heartbreaking it is.
Philagoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
alex9179
DIS Veteran

What a sweet baby. I'm so sorry.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: