Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
mom2prince&princess
Mouseketeer

Suggestions for bladder disease?

My family will be visiting Disney with my parents in April. My mom has interstitial cystitis which causes bladder pain and the need to urinate frequently and urgently. All of a sudden she needs to find a bathroom. I know there are plenty of bathrooms throughout Disney, but are there suggestions on handling this when we are deep in a line...say Toy Story Mania? Just hope people don't give her a hard time about leaving and getting back in line giving the impression of cutting? She is extremely shy and will be extremely embarrassed if someone rudely calls attention to her. Any suggestions/experiences welcome. Thanks!

April 2013
Pop April 2011
Pop August 2009
Pop April 2008
CBR April 2005
CBR April 2004
CBR July 2002 Honeymoon
3X as a child
mom2prince&princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Bete
DIS Veteran

First, on long rides I would try to go to the restroom before you wait in line. I would do the same afterwards. Also, I would get fastpass whenever you can do it.

This may not be pleasant, but I would actually wear a diaper or at least a pad. Depending on the amount of flow, you may want to consider using both.

During ride times I would try to stay away from over drinking without getting dehydrated. You can catch up on drinking later in the day.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

If she is not on a drug for urgency, she might want to talk to her doctor about trying one before the trip to see if it helps. Even if its not appropriate for long term, it might help short term.

I have bladder cancer so I have much the same problem. Leaving the line and returning is just not possible in many situations. You just can't do it because there is no way to get back to your party. We use a touring plan that minimizes waits where possible, and I use the rest room before we get in line. I have worn depends as as emergency backup plan - it beats the thought of urine running down my leg! Or being horrendously uncomfortable. An example would be the Universe of Energy - over 40 minutes long and there is no way to stop the ride and let you off once it starts. An emergency must be dealt with or your Mom would be in pain.

Good luck to you - a touring plan will be a great friend to you!
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
LeighMWilliams
Earning My Ears

I am 33 and have IC. I have made many trips to WDW and have done so successfully using, as was previously mentioned, a well made touring plan and some poise pads-just in case. I also had my doctor draft out a letter explaining my disability to others and there are what I think are called "bathroom passes" available on the IC website that you can get, explaining why she may need to skip a long line to the bathroom. I have generally not had a problem with insensitive people, but maybe some looks. Some things that helped me were the poise pads, frequent restroom breaks, adhering to the IC diet, Pre-relief, and heating patches that stick to your tummy-just for comforts. It is a VERY uncomfortable, awkward, disease, but it my no means has to limit her good time. PS. I had the interstim implant done several years ago and it has made all the difference. Have no idea if she is a candidate or not.
LeighMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
mom2prince&princess
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your replies!

My mom goes in for a bladder stretching surgery in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed that it helps!

April 2013
Pop April 2011
Pop August 2009
Pop April 2008
CBR April 2005
CBR April 2004
CBR July 2002 Honeymoon
3X as a child
mom2prince&princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Just agreeing with the idea of stopping at the rest room before getting in any line planning ahead.

you may find that a touring plan can be very helpful. Use fast passes to your advantage, and plan ahead so you can hit the attractions in an order that minimizes waiting in line. Also think about switching up the types of attractions, so that you don't plan on several long things in a row, where you can get stuck needing the restroom

I too have restroom urgency issues, and I never pass a restroom without stopping. I am at Disneyland every week and with some planning and many bathroom breaks I do just fine.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

My wife has IC. We have bee pretty successful utilizing tour plans and hitting restrooms between rides. We tend to like the more popular rides, but even during peak times (Spring Break, Summer), we rarely spend more than 15 minutes in a line.
That being said, our downstairs bathroom is decorated in photos of all the restroom signs from around disney. We joked that we had visited every bathroom and started taking pictures of the different signs while she was inside.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Okay. So going to do this in the future. My wife may think I'm nuts but I'm going to start taking pictures of all of the restroom signs we encounter in Disneyland!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

Add me to the list of people who will be taking restroom pictures! I swear I have every location memorized. And my larger bathroom is already Disney themed so it will fit in well. Great idea and I hope you don't mind me stealing it!
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Braden's Momma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom
Add me to the list of people who will be taking restroom pictures! I swear I have every location memorized. And my larger bathroom is already Disney themed so it will fit in well. Great idea and I hope you don't mind me stealing it!
Me too! We have Disney bathroom upstairs so this would be perfect as I too am a frequent bathroom traveler.

(DH 32) (ME 27) (DS 7) (DD 3)

Annie

1985-1989 -Florida Resident - Multiple Day Trips
2000 - Off Property
2010 (May)- Port Orleans Riverside (Mansions)
2011 (May)- Caribbean Beach - Pirate Room - 1st Trip w/ our son
March 2013 - POR - 1st trip w/ our 4 yo !
Braden's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
SashaFarce
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighMWilliams View Post
Some things that helped me were the poise pads, frequent restroom breaks, adhering to the IC diet, Pre-relief, and heating patches that stick to your tummy-just for comforts. It is a VERY uncomfortable, awkward, disease, but it my no means has to limit her good time. PS. I had the interstim implant done several years ago and it has made all the difference. Have no idea if she is a candidate or not.
I second this. I basically live on Prelief and AZO pills (I haven't been to the urologist in quite some time, so this is pyridium OTC for those who don't know). Avoiding citrus for me is super important, and it's actually better for me to be more hydrated because I have less pain. I go to the restroom generally at least once an hour (used to be much more often).

Past Trips: Prior to 2013: 14 trips
Feb 2013 @ AoA Sept 2013 @ CBR Oct 2013 @ Pop
Dec 2013 @ DLR Feb 2014 @ ASMusic Apr 2014 on the Disney Dream May 2014 @ ASMovies

Upcoming Trips: Aug 2014 Oct 2014

SashaFarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
dmccarty
DIS Veteran

My parents have always said if there is a bathroom, I have to visit it.

MK seems to have the most bathrooms. A bathroom is never far way in MK. The only problem I have with the MK bathroom setup is that there are no bathrooms near the bus stops. The only bathroom is near the ticket office and with the security barricades it is a longer walk to/from the bathroom and bus stop.

EPCOT is so so and the bathrooms seem to be more hidden. In WS they seem to be very spaced out especially when one has been sampling beers at F&W. But at least there is a bathroom near the bus stops.

AK is ok I suppose but the bathrooms are well spread out and there is no bathroom when you get off the train so you have to skip the animal trails to find the bathroom. It seems like there is more distance between bathrooms in AK but they are there. Eventually. No bus stop bathrooms. Why, can't they have bathrooms at the bus stops?

DHS is a bathroom nightmare. I THINK I know where they all are but for some reason they just seem hidden to me. Maybe because DHS is not my favorite park. Heck, maybe this is why DHS is not my favorite park. The bathrooms are kinda far away but not too bad for the AKL/AKV bus stops.

No problems at TL and BB in finding a bathroom. Kidding.

Thankfully, I don't have bladder issues but I do drink quite a bit of water and when it is time to go, it is time to go so I understand the OP's concern. Before getting on rides I ask the family about a bathroom stop even with a FP. You just never know if there will be a breakdown on the ride. We avoid the monorail now because it seems to always have a problem. One of my nightmares is having to go to the bathroom and to be stuck on the monorail...

Prince Charles once said something to the effect that one should visit the bathroom as often as one could because you never knew when you would get your next chance. Makes sense I guess since he can sit for hours at some ceremony. I think of Prince Charley when I see a bathroom and wonder if I should visit.

I would make sure I knew where all of bathrooms were located at the park we were visiting. Maybe give Mom a park map so SHE knows. Hopefully that will make it easier on her.

Later,
Dan
Oct 2007 CBR
Apr 1998 and May 1997 CR
70's to 1997 too many trips to count.

Disney is a lens that focuses on people.
Sometimes it exposes the worst.
Most of the time it highlights the best.
dmccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom View Post
Steal away! The kids loved it. We found the kids went from being annoyed to actually enjoying the whole picture thing.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Nennie
Insert funny comment here!

My touring plan consisted of fast passes and poise pads! This is going to sound weird, but the poise pads gave me the extra confidence when standing in line, and even though I "used" the pads a little here and there, just having one on helped me. It's when I get anxious and start crossing my legs to hold it in that it gets worse. With the poise pad I would just stand there all casually, and it wouldn't get as intense!

Also, at most rides, when you get up to the ride and have to go, you can bypass the ride, hit the bathroom, and come back in the back door! Just ask! It happened to me almost every time on Star Wars (maybe the excitement and/or fear of being jostled around). I was an old pro on how to run to the bathroom and get back in! LOL!!!

Trips since we joined DVC (and upcoming trips too!)
10/05 - Beach Club Villas;1/06 - Beach Club Villas; 9/06 - Beach Club Villas
1/07 - Beach Club Villas; 5/07 - Beach Club Villas;9/07 - Beach Club Villas
5/08 - Boardwalk Villas; 5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's first trip!);5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's second trip! LOL!)
9/09 - Bay Lake Tower;9/10 - POP (3 nights FD) followed by Beach Club Villas
1/11 - Beach Club Villas; 5/11 Boardwalk; 9/11 - Beach Club Villas; 9/12 Bay Lake Tower
12/12 Saratoga; 1/13 Beach Club; 7/13 Offsite; 9/13 Beach Club
Nennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
smidgy
dimples

OP. my guess is you mean uretha stretching?

anyway, tell your mom to drink plenty of cranberry juice. and ditto on the poise pads or depends.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: