Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #136
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Umm, we're waiting to sail through the Canal.

Nancy
I know, I know. As DW says I was out of town, so that is my excuse. Actually it's not. The main cause of the delay was that I needed to scan some pictures and my #$*#@$* printer would not behave. It appears that I have managed to get it under control, so another episode coming right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
He may be up to the day the ship hit the iceberg and he doesnt want to recall those bad memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitlerzx4 View Post
DCL flash mob... so awesome!
yes, yes it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltTeddy View Post
Drew.....gotta love Ford's Microsoft Sync....for some reason I don't have either your email any more, or Deannas. No clue why when I synced the blue tooth with the new phone it dumped you. Can one of you guys email me please?

Tx.
Fortunately DW took care of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dededisney View Post
I just pm'd you so you should have our email addresses again...sometimes I really dislike computers (only b/c I never know how to fix things when they go wrong!)

For everyone else waiting to hear the rest of our adventures, I am too! But alas, Drew is and has been out of town all week (and last week for that matter), but you can still prod him (he needs that every now and then).
Hey, wait a minute, there is no need to prod me. I'm sure I'll have this done by next december.

almost there folks!

DZ
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #137
DisneyZell

Chapter 11: Panama Canal!

So the day we had all been waiting for had arrived. No sleep and bleary eyed we had Mickey call use about 5:30am. We wanted to be up on top so we could see the ship pass under the Bridge of the America's. Good thing we went up when we did, too as 1 or two other folks came up with the same idea. We were up on Deck 10 on the Starboard side (that's the right to you and me ).

Disney had Coffee and Pastries up there (almost like they had done this before). I, of course, had my book.

Thank god they had food...I was starting to get hungry!

After the sun came up you could really get an idea of how many people were up on deck. it was packed!

So here is the question of the day for you all to weigh-in on. If you get up early and get a spot on the rail for trips such as this...should you feel guilty when people arrive with their kids who want to be able to see? I, of course do, and usually figure out a way to get them in...but frankly we didn't this time. We did make room for friends, which to me is different. But going beyond the Panama Canal...say to watching fireworks, etc. If you had the forethought to get there early...should you move and allow kids in front of you? Curious what you all thing.

Anyhoo...

The sun coming up over the many ships in the harbor. There were tons of them..so pretty cool looking, all cooling their heals to wait their turn. You can, of course, move yourself to the front of the line if you are willing to pay extra. Disney pays extra to do this. I'm guessing all the cruise ships do.

Here is Panama City. and here is a rantish type of thing.

I don't understand why we weren't allowed to do excursions in Panama City. Disney would have made money, and since we were moored all night they could have let people off at like 9pm and required all aboard at, say, 4am or something. I would totally have gone into the city to see what was what...and I think that would be great. But alas this was not an option. Of course I would have then been exhausted from lack of sleep....wait a minute, I was anyway.

Here are DW and I

People, people everywhere...

In front, behind, everywhere!

Here comes the bridge of the Americas. Which is a more beautiful sight? hmmm? which one? c'mon, this one is easy!

This pic gives you an idea of how close the ship is going under that bridge. It seemed like a few feet, but I'm sure it was 15 or 20 feet. Still....pretty amazing to see a huge ship go under a huge bridge. Cool stuff!

Tugboats shadowed us the whole way...though I don't think we ever actually used them. Think of the money that could be saved if they would just not use so many for the ships that don't need them. But to a certain degree I'm guessing they need to justify the high cost...and need to be there just in case something goes wrong.

Approaching the first lock. Very exciting as this was definitely on my bucket list!

These are the "Mules" that are attached to the ship. I think we had 8 of them, two on each side in the front and back. They are basically heavy duty trains....but they are not there to pull the ship through the locks...it moves on it's own power. These are there to keep the ship from hitting the sides. At least that's what they were supposed to do.

After going under the bridge we figured we would go down to our balcony for a better view. Doug and Audrey came with us and we did get a great view off our own balcony...and really made the upgrade worth it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #138
DisneyZell

continued

Here is everyone else on their balconies. It took about 45 minutes to go through each lock. And There is a Zach sighting!

This is a picture looking down from the balcony. As you can see there are only a few feet separating the wall from the side of the ship.

The Mules are there, as I said, to keep the ship from hitting the side of the canal. As we stood there and watched...it got closer...and closer, and finally SCREEECH as the ship ran into the wall. Someone is going to have to pay for that! Lots of new paint! We didn't get pictures until much later in the cruise....but here are a few:

This was after a few ports, and alot of painting. My guess is that they couldn't paint the really bad ones so they could make an insurance claim. Just a guess...but it is the only explanation I have for why these didn't get painted. We also heard that they always get dinged up going through the canal...so apparently this is expected.

And another shot....

This is what it looked like from the front of the ship as we approached the locks.

See the building with the red roof? That one ends up being really close to us as we go by...

This is the same building...we could have reached out and shaken hands with the folks in the building. Pretty amazing.

Audrey snapped a quick picture of us...

Here is what the lock door looked on the lock next to us. Pretty cool looking and amazing what is accomplished.

My favorite fact about the whole thing is that the entire system is gravity fed...the water does not get pumped in or out, but is done from the lake above. Luckily they get a boatload of water each year...or they would be in trouble. The new locks they are building will reclaim some of the water. I think they are thinking ahead...

Another ship was coming in right behind us.

Another shot down the side of the ship. Incredible!

And the pictures I had to scan....

A picture of the front of the ship. DW bought a little portfolio which had three pictures. This was the one in front.

This is incredible from a different point of view than my shooting a picture down the side. It really shows you how much room there is on each side...not much!

And the professional picture of DW and I.

So at some point Dw really started feeling bad. She spent most of the day on her bed. Again it was nice that we had the Balcony, not sure if she would have made it out on deck without that. This would last for a couple of days...and it knocked me out too. Not sure if it was sympathy or what, but I took alot of naps during the days when DW was out...and never felt quite right. So either we got the same thing and it affected me different or I'm just weird. No comment DW!!!

Missed dinner in the dining room...been a long while since that has happened...but with DW feeling bad I didn't feel like making it. So no go there.

and for some reason I'm missing my towel animal picture. How frustrating is that?

Thanks for waiting for this episode...I'll try to be more timely next time.

Next up: Day 12: Caragena..and probably Day 13 Day at sea...not much there!

DZ
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #139
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Nice update....cool stuff. Would the bigger ships like the Dream be able to squeeze their fat aft through there?

Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #140
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Great update (other than you all getting ). Fun pictures and the damage pictures
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #141
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

I don't think I mentioned this before, but one of the things I like about your TRs is that you and your wife obviously enjoy each other. So nice to see a couple that has been together for a while that still likes one another and still seem to have that zing. Sorry, that was totally off topic
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #142
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Nice update....cool stuff. Would the bigger ships like the Dream be able to squeeze their fat aft through there?
No, the Dream and Fantasy cannot fit through the locks right now, but as soon as the new locks are completed, they will be able to...the retired pilot boat captain that gave talks about the canal said the biggest ship to go through the canal was a U.S. military ship and it had just a few inches of clearance in the locks, where as the Wonder had about two feet.
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #143
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I don't think I mentioned this before, but one of the things I like about your TRs is that you and your wife obviously enjoy each other. So nice to see a couple that has been together for a while that still likes one another and still seem to have that zing. Sorry, that was totally off topic
Yes, we really do enjoy each other's company, even after almost 18 years of marriage I am lucky he puts up with me!
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #144
davidls
DIS Veteran

I've been following your trip report. Very well written Drew. I've been following it because DW and I have wanted to do a Panama Canal crossing for few years now. Well we finally booked the Eastbound Panama Canal crossing for 2014. We have a ways to go for ours. But your report is keeping us entertained and excited about our up coming cruise. Keep up the good work Drew!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are GOLD - Our 6th Disney Cruise - East Bound Panama Canal Cruise - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014
Our 7th Disney Cruise - "With Great Friends Cruise" - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - Nov 2015
davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #145
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Yes, we really do enjoy each other's company, even after almost 18 years of marriage I am lucky he puts up with me!
And I bet he's lucky you put up with him. Win/win
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #146
DisneyZell

Quote:
AS DW said, no, they would not fit. The Wonder and Magic are what they can Panamac ships..ie. exactly the right size to go through. Apparently Ship Builders like to have their own language!

Quote:
Great update (other than you all getting ). Fun pictures and the damage pictures
I know, right? I assume they turn them into insurance and get paid back for the repairs. Not sure how much damage a ship can take before it has to be pulled out of the water.

Quote:
Thanks, yes we do manage to get along most of the time. We fight as normal couples do, particularly when DW doesn't see things my way. But really we do have a great relationship and see most of the things eye to eye which makes a huge difference I think!

Quote:
Yup, you are lucky.

ha! just kidding. DW puts up with alot more from me than I do from her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
I've been following your trip report. Very well written Drew. I've been following it because DW and I have wanted to do a Panama Canal crossing for few years now. Well we finally booked the Eastbound Panama Canal crossing for 2014. We have a ways to go for ours. But your report is keeping us entertained and excited about our up coming cruise. Keep up the good work Drew!!!
Thanks for joining in. Now I'm Jealous that you have that to look forward to. It is a great experience...and now any cruises shorter than 14 nights will be hard for me!

Quote:
And I bet he's lucky you put up with him. Win/win
yes...yes...I am!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #147
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Wow, I loved seeing the photos of the ship going through the canal

I knew it was a tight squeeze but not that tight!

I feel sorry for the "driver" when he or she heard that scrape along the side
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #148
aan1701
DIS Veteran

I remember going to see Captain Puckett on the 2011 WBPC. Someone asked him about damage. He said when dealing with Panamax ships, the ship company agrees to a certain amount of damage. What that is, he said did not know. Now that one scrape I am sure was not covered. That one looked bad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #149
Brixton
From the world's best Eco-Village all the way to the Wonder

Thanks for coming back to the canal!

Just sitting here in San Diego, living vicariously through your TR, 'til we leave for the WBPC in May.

Completely off topic...We recently moved here from Mid-Coast Maine, nice to see another couple representing New England on Funnel Vision

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #150
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Hi Zell, just subscribing as I'm planning to also be on the 2014 WBPC.

Nicely written. I'm enjoying your report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: