Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #76
lucifie
DIS Veteran

We went on the off-season and the first day I said to DH, "If this is a low crowd day, I'd hate to see a high crowd day." Of course, that was the line to get in the park when, despite our best intentions, we didn't get there before RD. It turned out the crowds were higher than expected that day, so they kept the park open an extra hour. Once we got in the park it really wasn't that bad.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #77
Belle5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I had a similar situation when a bartender noticed my Disney key chain and declared that was the worst place they had ever been and would never go again. They spent $10,000.00 and they had a horrible time.

First off, they booked the most expensive place to stay and one of the most expensive levels. I said, you know, they have different levels of resorts - you didn't have to go all out the first time. They wanted to "make it a trip of a lifetime." I said that is what happened, you made it a trip you could only afford to go once in a lifetime, already setting it up for failure."

Second, they flew and took ME and arrived at 2:30 pm. At 3:00 pm, their luggage hadn't arrived yet and the woman stormed down to the front desk to demand their luggage for the entire family. She said the TA told her the bags would be there by 3 pm. I told her she might have misunderstood; it is actually three hours. She said that is what the front desk clerk said; but she didn't believe it and expected to speak to the manager.

She needed her luggage right away, because WHY - she left her anti-seizure medication in her checked baggage. Seriously, what happens if the airline had lost your luggage - she was appalled that an airline would be stupid enough to lose your luggage.

Anyway, the manager whisked into action, found a CM to go down and found their luggage (all of it) in the luggage bay and whisked it upstairs, about 45 minutes later, which she also found appalling. She couldn't see how it could take so long, because it was already supposed to be there at 3 pm.

I reminded her that they dispatched someone who was busy delivering luggage to people who had waited 3 hours for it and they should be grateful they got it because of HER mistake.

I also reminded her that if they couldn't find her luggage right away or the airline had lost it, Disney would go above and beyond to get her to a place where she could get the replacement medication that she so stupidly placed in her checked baggage.

Here is the kicker; she told me that cannot be true; they must have known they made a huge mistake because the next day, they so rudely tried to make it up to them by sending over monogrammed ears for each of the kids and the slipper dessert - but she wasn't buying it in the least. Of course, I explained to her about Disney magic.

To her, it was the worst place they have ever been and will never go back.

OMG.....

I am speechless.

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #78
AuroraRora
Princess

I got into a discussion with a friend of mine regarding the fact that I like to go to WDW a lot. She said "Well of course YOU have a good time there, but not everyone can afford the fancy fastpasses and character meetings, you know". Me: ".....what?"

(Btw, she's not talking about Character Dining, she was under the impression that as well as paying for fastpasses and such, you also pay inside the parks to have your photo taken with characters.)
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #79
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

To the OP, you are hilarious and I love your writing style.

I'm with Robo - try to shut down any Disney conversation and just keep it to the stuff that makes you STAY friends. Deflect with "tell me where you are going on vacation now" and then monopolize the conversation so she doesn't bring down our beloved Disney.

But she doesn't get it and won't....Disney isn't for everyone. And it's one less person in the parks, yelling at Cast Members and generally having a bad time to muck up my next vacation.
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #80
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

Hmm, anyone out there who has fantasies about becoming a travel agent because it would be "fun to help people" plan their Disney trip might want to read this thread very carefully! LOL. You know the old saying, " You can lead a horse to water..."

rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #81
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
I'm a HUGE disney person, like most here..
When I hear a friend is planning a disney trip, I offer to help. If they want it..
For those that let me help them, and LISTEN to what i tell them it turns out great.. And for those that don't..

Well this is how the conversation has gone with my BBF after the last three times she has gone!

BBF: IM NEVER GOING BACK!
Me. Why? What happened? ( I never should have asked)

1. It was VERY hot!
ME: when did you go?
BBF: Uuuuh.. of 1st week of July..

2. was to expensive
ME: did you do what I suggested to pop a pin code?
BBB: Uuuuuh.. No I got busy
Me: Well did you, check the special offer page before you booked online?
BBF: Uuuuh.. I forgot
Me: Well did you call an ask?
BBF:The wait on the phone was to long.. Me: how long BBF: 5 min..

3. It Was to crowded!
Me: When did you go again?
BBf: 1st week of July..
Me: Well did you make it to RD?
BBF: No, we wanted to sleep in.. It is a vacation..

4. There were no places to eat!
ME: did you get your ADRs at 180 days..
BBF: I don't know what I want to eat 180 day in advance!!
BBf: We ate hamburgers the whole time we were there..
Me: Did you take the list I gave you on good places to get something to eat?
BBF: No, I left it in the hotel room..

5. Food was REALLY expensive
BBF:I spent over $65 just on lunch for my family of 4..
Me: where was the list of good places to eat again?
BBF: in the hotel room..

This went on and on for over 3 hours!!!
The she was trying to convince me that I should cancel my upcoming trips.. And go somewhere else!
I know she is my BBF, but I will never understand why people make things harder then they really are!!

How does everyone deal with people like this? Without ruining a friendship..
Disney is not for people like this. Which is fine because people like us like it better with less cranky people
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #82
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
I do wonder how some of you are doing Disney for only $2000 or so. For our small family of 3 airfare alone is at least $1000. If we drove it would be 16 hrs each way and a total of over $700 in gas so flying is a no brainer. Tickets for the 3 of us is another $1000 (8 day parkhoppers). So we are at $2000 already and still need a place to sleep and food to eat. We are doing the DDP but I figure if we went OOP we could save a little but it would be close to a wash so there is another $900. We are renting points to stay at AKV but that cost isn't significantly more than staying at the All Star resorts for a much better place to stay. So we easily will be spending over $4000 and that's not counting PhotoPass+ or souvenirs.

And this includes planning ahead, looking for discounts and no wasted spending.

Props to those that can do it for half that but I simply can't figure out how you can unless you have APs and living within 8 hrs driving distance or have free airline miles for tickets.

Do love the stories of those friends and family that are doing WDW wrong and then complain about it though.

I agree, I would like to know how to do everything, & I mean everything for $2000.00, Our room, tickets, & dp is $3450.00 & that is with a discount & a value resort, that does not include rental car,( can not fly), gas & extras.

We did go a few yrs ago & did not know anything, better prepared this time, thanks to everyone here & at other sites & I am looking for a more enjoyable time this go around.

I think that most people think DW is like all of these other theme parks, so they go in thinking that they do not need a plan or any info. DW is not like other theme parks & is NOT like your State Fair. I have check crowd calendars, watch youtube on rides & shows, I know what I want us to see & do, in each park & planning on being there at RD.

We leave in 3 days
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
2012bella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #83
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
I do wonder how some of you are doing Disney for only $2000 or so. For our small family of 3 airfare alone is at least $1000. If we drove it would be 16 hrs each way and a total of over $700 in gas so flying is a no brainer. Tickets for the 3 of us is another $1000 (8 day parkhoppers). So we are at $2000 already and still need a place to sleep and food to eat. We are doing the DDP but I figure if we went OOP we could save a little but it would be close to a wash so there is another $900. We are renting points to stay at AKV but that cost isn't significantly more than staying at the All Star resorts for a much better place to stay. So we easily will be spending over $4000 and that's not counting PhotoPass+ or souvenirs.

And this includes planning ahead, looking for discounts and no wasted spending.

Props to those that can do it for half that but I simply can't figure out how you can unless you have APs and living within 8 hrs driving distance or have free airline miles for tickets.

Do love the stories of those friends and family that are doing WDW wrong and then complain about it though.
I was wondering the same thing about the $2k When we went 4 years ago with the 4 of us we spent about 3.5k staying off site with cheap flights from houston. I am planning a trip for Sept and it looks like it will be around 3k staying at POP but I can't seem to get it much lower than that and we already have the adult tix
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #84
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I have no doubt that EVERY place that woman goes becomes the
"worst place they have ever been."

And, that everyone who has dealt with her remembers the experience, as well.
Robo, I think you are sooooo right!!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #85
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4

I was wondering the same thing about the $2k When we went 4 years ago with the 4 of us we spent about 3.5k staying off site with cheap flights from houston. I am planning a trip for Sept and it looks like it will be around 3k staying at POP but I can't seem to get it much lower than that and we already have the adult tix
I think the days of doing a trip for around $2000 are gone, only bc free dining is not happening as much.

This is our trip:
Flights $600 paid with CC miles
Room $900 paid by disney Visa card points ( normally I wait for a better deal on the room, but it wasn't happen this year)
We use these two CC to buy EVERYTHING! And pay them off every month..

Tickets: in the past we did UT.. Or AAA
But this trip we are getting APs b/c we are doing 2 10day trips and one 5 day ( so 25 days in total)
( you only need one to get the befits.. But since we are coming back everyone gets one!)

APs are $611 over 25 days.. That's $24.50 a day..

So 245 x3 = $735
Food: And then we calculated it will run us about $1100 for this trip( using TIW) this is HIGH for us, but it includes 18 TS!
(We normally do FD, but it didn't work out this year)

I get $1935!

If there is a better way, some please share.. ;-)

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #86
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
I got into a discussion with a friend of mine regarding the fact that I like to go to WDW a lot. She said "Well of course YOU have a good time there, but not everyone can afford the fancy fastpasses and character meetings, you know". Me: ".....what?"
My husband has never been to Disney- is absolutely clueless about what all is there- and the cost of the fastpasses was one of the first things he asked me about when we decided to plan a trip for next year. I was so happy to tell him that we didn't have to pay extra for them. This kind of thing is probably one of the reasons he has been reluctant about taking a trip there. Can't wait to get rid of some of his misconceptions.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #87
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
I think the days of doing a trip for around $2000 are gone, only bc free dining is not happening as much.

This is our trip:
Flights $600 paid with CC miles
Room $900 paid by disney Visa card points ( normally I wait for a better deal on the room, but it wasn't happen this year)
We use these two CC to buy EVERYTHING! And pay them off every month..

Tickets: in the past we did UT.. Or AAA
But this trip we are getting APs b/c we are doing 2 10day trips and one 5 day ( so 25 days in total)
( you only need one to get the befits.. But since we are coming back everyone gets one!)

APs are $611 over 25 days.. That's $24.50 a day..

So 245 x3 = $735
Food: And then we calculated it will run us about $1100 for this trip( using TIW) this is HIGH for us, but it includes 18 TS!
(We normally do FD, but it didn't work out this year)

I get $1935!

If there is a better way, some please share.. ;-)

So without the credit card miles for flight & credit card points for the room, your trip is actually around $3300.00 for Three people. Right???
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #88
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Thanks for a good laugh, OP!.

I am now a firm believer in: best to be in the know and not try to "help" (plan the whole thing) anyone else.

I have few coworkers/friends who will ask ?'s and I basically tell them the same thing:

Go to the library of bookstore and get the latest edition of an Official Disney travel book.
Go online to the official Disney website.

I have received a huge THANK YOU for explaining FP and how to use it most effectively. This was after their trip.
It felt good to know I helped
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #89
bennifer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bella13

So without the credit card miles for flight & credit card points for the room, your trip is actually around $3300.00 for Three people. Right???
But you did ask how she did it for less than $2000, and she told you... Discounts, points, flyer miles. I think that's the point.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #90
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bella13

But that's for 10 days. Not everyone stays that long. And for her it was under $2000 for this trip. Anyone can earn reward miles/points etc toward a trip.

I also priced a 5 night trip for a family of 4 in Aug at Pop (no discounts). With 5 day tickets it would be $1700. With $100 a day for food (this is a budget trip) it's $2200-2300 depending on how much you'd use on arrival/departure days. If you can drive from 700 miles or less you could honestly do it for under $2500. Not the $2000 of a few years ago but maybe pretty close with a discount or free dining or maybe some reward money (Disney or otherwise)
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: