Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #271
ssleblanc
How many posts until I'm not a Mouseketeer anymore?
 
ssleblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Garden view, you should have not trouble getting close to the food court and main building in either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace; just add it to your reservation.

Narcossess' is at the GF.

I did an 8 day, all resorts, no parks trip solo at POR one year and had a blast. I spent a lot of time at the resorts and DTD; which I love - I am a big shopper and love hanging out at bars, so Raglan Road, Paradiso 37, and RFC were great places to just hang out.

I also spent a lot of time by the quiet pool relaxing and reading; I actually read 4 books that week.
I had Garden View in Magnolia Terrace and it wasn't too bad of a walk, though Acadian House would be a bit closer to the bridge.

I love the quiet pool between Magnolia Terrace and Acadian House. I wish I had spent more time there.
__________________
Upcoming Trips: October 2014, Port Orleans Riverside, Mother/Daughter trip (OK, the oldest son MAY come too).
Past Trips:
1974 - Disneyland, stayed with relatives; Thanksgiving 1984 - Offsite (back when WDW was EMPTY on Thanksgiving); Summer 1992 - Disneyland, stayed will relatives; October 1996 - Offsite; October 1998 - 25th Anniversary Celebration, ASMu, September 2006 - Coronado Springs; February 2013 - Mardi Gras at Port Orleans Riverside
ssleblanc is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #272
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Silly but curious question: Those two big towers that say Port Orleans by the River that you can see from Andre's live feed.....are they supposed to be water towers? some kind of silo?? I know it's part of the theming and I've read up on portorleans.org...I know I should know this. I feel silly! Clearly, I'm not from the South!
Yes; it is the old style water towers.
__________________
Missytara is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #273
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssleblanc View Post
I had Garden View in Magnolia Terrace and it wasn't too bad of a walk, though Acadian House would be a bit closer to the bridge.

I love the quiet pool between Magnolia Terrace and Acadian House. I wish I had spent more time there.
I love, love, love the quiet pool there. It is my favorite. It is the screensaver on my computer at work.

A girl's gotta dream.
__________________
Missytara is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #274
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,893

Three days to go and the tummy butterflies have arrived!

Checklist:
* Checked out a book from the library for on the plane and by the pool.
* Bought a new pocket sized camera.
* Actually bought a new swim suit with no tears involved!
* Went to buy healthy snacks for the plane and bought M&Ms instead.
* Dug out my goofy looking swim googles so I can wear my contacts on the water slides.
* Got a pedicure since my toes will actually see the light of day for the first time in months. My toes are as excited as I am.

Thought I was all set to start packing, but now I have a strong urge to go out and buy new underwear. Anyone else feel like you have to have new undies anytime you go on vacation?

Can't wait to be there!
__________________
1972 First trip to Disneyland Drove from Oregon in a camper with my parents and sisters 1978 First trip to WDW Once again, drove from Oregon in a camper with my parents and sisters
Diznotyzed is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #275
ssleblanc
How many posts until I'm not a Mouseketeer anymore?
 
ssleblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhurricane View Post
How is the bus wait situation at POR? We will have our own car. Is it best to park on our own or use the bus system, especially at MK?
The bus was actually very hit or miss for us. We were there 2/7-2/15. The worst I experienced at the end of the day was the night of 2/7. It was MK after Wishes (we didn't rush out, but lingered about before heading for the bus). POR had the longest line of all of the stops under that roof. The line looped through the queue and then back past two other stops. As you headed for stop 5 (POR's stop), you didn't realize that the masses of people that you were passing starting at stop 3 were for POR. When you fought through the crowds to reach 5, you realized that all of the people you'd just fought to get through were actually in the same line you needed. Then, you had to fight to get back to 3, through the line of standing people, plus the swarm of people heading for 5 (I made a point to let people passing me know that if they were going to POR, the line was behind them - no one told me as I was headed that way). During that time, POFQ line was virtually empty yet several POFQ buses came and we saw no POR bus. I saw more than one POFQ bus leave, with no one standing. I should have just jumped on their bus and walked back to POR. I probably would have gotten back to the resort faster.

After that experience, I was really a bit worried about my 8:05 CP reservation the next morning. So, we took a cab. It was $20 and I probably would have been better off waiting for a bus, when you add in the monorail from TTC.

The only other time I had a bad wait was the morning of 2/11. We were going to AK (which had EMH ... which was probably part of the problem - everyone else was going to AK too). It took about 45 to 50 minutes to get on a bus. When we did, it was packed/standing room only (I realize we are not guaranteed a seat), and the bus still left behind about 30 people who were trying to get to AK. During the time we waited, we saw several full AK buses drive by, full, and many many MK and Epcot buses. The Transportation CM who was at our stop (South Depot/3rd Stop) was great. He kept calling in for a bus, stressing that there were a lot of people who had been waiting for a long time. They would tell him a bus was on the way, but it would show up mostly full. They just didn't seem prepared to handle the increased crowds going to AK for morning EMH. We basically missed EMH by the time we got there. I didn't plan for such a long bus wait. The second day we went to AK, I just drove (we were also leaving that day and had checked out/had the car packed with luggage).

Those two bus waits/rides were not pleasant, and had me worried about the POR bus horror stories I'd read. But the rest of the week it was not nearly as bad. I do think that next time I'm at POR, I will go to the first stop/North Depot in the morning. That is the first stop and there seemed to be a better chance of getting a spot on the bus at the first stop.
__________________
Upcoming Trips: October 2014, Port Orleans Riverside, Mother/Daughter trip (OK, the oldest son MAY come too).
Past Trips:
1974 - Disneyland, stayed with relatives; Thanksgiving 1984 - Offsite (back when WDW was EMPTY on Thanksgiving); Summer 1992 - Disneyland, stayed will relatives; October 1996 - Offsite; October 1998 - 25th Anniversary Celebration, ASMu, September 2006 - Coronado Springs; February 2013 - Mardi Gras at Port Orleans Riverside
ssleblanc is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #276
ssleblanc
How many posts until I'm not a Mouseketeer anymore?
 
ssleblanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I love, love, love the quiet pool there. It is my favorite. It is the screensaver on my computer at work.

A girl's gotta dream.
That quiet pool made doing laundry pleasant!
__________________
Upcoming Trips: October 2014, Port Orleans Riverside, Mother/Daughter trip (OK, the oldest son MAY come too).
Past Trips:
1974 - Disneyland, stayed with relatives; Thanksgiving 1984 - Offsite (back when WDW was EMPTY on Thanksgiving); Summer 1992 - Disneyland, stayed will relatives; October 1996 - Offsite; October 1998 - 25th Anniversary Celebration, ASMu, September 2006 - Coronado Springs; February 2013 - Mardi Gras at Port Orleans Riverside
ssleblanc is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #277
Chuckers
Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(
 
Chuckers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,169

Well, I really wanted a preferred room so I could be in building 14 or 15, unfortunately, Preferred Rooms were either all sold out or not part of the savings deal going on... but then I realized that a King Bed is the same upgrade price as a Preferred.. so I booked that.

I know it doesn't guarantee me a spot in building 14 or 15, but I have a better chance of getting into one of the preferred buildings. Plus, I have a king bed! WOOT!

I asked for placement in 14 or 15 when I talked to the CM on the phone, but before I leave, I'll fax in a request for any of the 4 preferred buildings.

Of course that's still 70 days away... and I DON'T WANT TO WAIT!

P.S. I noticed on PortOrleans.org it says King Bed rooms are a max occupancy of 2, does that mean the fold down bed is not there? (I don't need it and I am hoping it's not there)
__________________

Last edited by Chuckers; 02-20-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added a question.
Chuckers is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #278
scrappinggirl
Mouseketeer
 
scrappinggirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Amesbury, MA
Posts: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznotyzed View Post
Three days to go and the tummy butterflies have arrived!

Checklist:
* Checked out a book from the library for on the plane and by the pool.
* Bought a new pocket sized camera.
* Actually bought a new swim suit with no tears involved!
* Went to buy healthy snacks for the plane and bought M&Ms instead.
* Dug out my goofy looking swim googles so I can wear my contacts on the water slides.
* Got a pedicure since my toes will actually see the light of day for the first time in months. My toes are as excited as I am.

Thought I was all set to start packing, but now I have a strong urge to go out and buy new underwear. Anyone else feel like you have to have new undies anytime you go on vacation?

Can't wait to be there!
Did u get anything special on ur toes like Mickey? I was thinking about it what color did u go with?
__________________

Me DH (Won't fly, not going) Kyle DS (12yrs old)
1989 ~Fort Wilderness
2006 ~ Comptemporary
2008 ~POFQ
2012~Disneyland (only 1 day)
2013 ~POR/Hardrock Universal
scrappinggirl is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #279
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Start my single digit dance tomorrow!!! Congrats to your family!
Hope you have a great trip with a little magic for your family
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #280
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinggirl View Post
Did u get anything special on ur toes like Mickey? I was thinking about it what color did u go with?
Nothing Disneyesque, but I did go with a bright deep pink in honor of Spring flowers!
__________________
1972 First trip to Disneyland Drove from Oregon in a camper with my parents and sisters 1978 First trip to WDW Once again, drove from Oregon in a camper with my parents and sisters
Diznotyzed is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #281
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
Hope you have a great trip with a little magic for your family
Thanks we started our single digit dance and thank you for you magic wishes
Venomhatch is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #282
kandim
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssleblanc

The bus was actually very hit or miss for us. We were there 2/7-2/15. The worst I experienced at the end of the day was the night of 2/7. It was MK after Wishes (we didn't rush out, but lingered about before heading for the bus). POR had the longest line of all of the stops under that roof. The line looped through the queue and then back past two other stops. As you headed for stop 5 (POR's stop), you didn't realize that the masses of people that you were passing starting at stop 3 were for POR. When you fought through the crowds to reach 5, you realized that all of the people you'd just fought to get through were actually in the same line you needed. Then, you had to fight to get back to 3, through the line of standing people, plus the swarm of people heading for 5 (I made a point to let people passing me know that if they were going to POR, the line was behind them - no one told me as I was headed that way). During that time, POFQ line was virtually empty yet several POFQ buses came and we saw no POR bus. I saw more than one POFQ bus leave, with no one standing. I should have just jumped on their bus and walked back to POR. I probably would have gotten back to the resort faster.

After that experience, I was really a bit worried about my 8:05 CP reservation the next morning. So, we took a cab. It was $20 and I probably would have been better off waiting for a bus, when you add in the monorail from TTC.

The only other time I had a bad wait was the morning of 2/11. We were going to AK (which had EMH ... which was probably part of the problem - everyone else was going to AK too). It took about 45 to 50 minutes to get on a bus. When we did, it was packed/standing room only (I realize we are not guaranteed a seat), and the bus still left behind about 30 people who were trying to get to AK. During the time we waited, we saw several full AK buses drive by, full, and many many MK and Epcot buses. The Transportation CM who was at our stop (South Depot/3rd Stop) was great. He kept calling in for a bus, stressing that there were a lot of people who had been waiting for a long time. They would tell him a bus was on the way, but it would show up mostly full. They just didn't seem prepared to handle the increased crowds going to AK for morning EMH. We basically missed EMH by the time we got there. I didn't plan for such a long bus wait. The second day we went to AK, I just drove (we were also leaving that day and had checked out/had the car packed with luggage).

Those two bus waits/rides were not pleasant, and had me worried about the POR bus horror stories I'd read. But the rest of the week it was not nearly as bad. I do think that next time I'm at POR, I will go to the first stop/North Depot in the morning. That is the first stop and there seemed to be a better chance of getting a spot on the bus at the first stop.
We were there 1/30-2/8 and had the same experience with the bus to MK our first day there. i had rented a car so we drove after that. We have previously stayed in All Stars several times & the buses weren't that bad. But then, everyone's opinion on the buses seems to differ.
kandim is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #283
ZeroMyHero
Mouseketeer
 
ZeroMyHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Greater Chicagoland
Posts: 357

Just paid off our upcoming trip - only 44 days to go. This thread and portorleans.org have been amazing resources to help me plan our first visit to POR. Thank you!
__________________
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Me DH DD10 : DD5
Fort Wilderness April '81, April '03, May '11
Coronado Springs May '08
Port Orleans Riverside April '13
Port Orleans Riverside 2015
ZeroMyHero is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #284
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict
 
andrewilley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 5,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
P.S. I noticed on PortOrleans.org it says King Bed rooms are a max occupancy of 2, does that mean the fold down bed is not there? (I don't need it and I am hoping it's not there)
Yes the banquette bench with the fold-down bed is there in King Bed AB rooms too. But at present they don't have any options to allow 3 people to book one.

Andre
__________________
Port Orleans Riverside is my second home - I never get homesick when I'm there, but it does happen the other way around!


For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #285
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer
 
kungaloosh22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I did an 8 day, all resorts, no parks trip solo at POR one year and had a blast. I spent a lot of time at the resorts and DTD; which I love - I am a big shopper and love hanging out at bars, so Raglan Road, Paradiso 37, and RFC were great places to just hang out.

I also spent a lot of time by the quiet pool relaxing and reading; I actually read 4 books that week.
That sounds really nice. I think I need to put something like this on my bucket list.
kungaloosh22 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: