Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

I am loving this thread as we will be in Charleston for a couple of nights in early July before heading to Disney's Hilton Head resort. We are staying at the historic French Quarter Inn @ $219. per night + parking. For all you Charleston experts, was this a good choice? The rating it gets seems exceptional.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
I am loving this thread as we will be in Charleston for a couple of nights in early July before heading to Disney's Hilton Head resort. We are staying at the historic French Quarter Inn @ $219. per night + parking. For all you Charleston experts, was this a good choice? The rating it gets seems exceptional.
That is a lovely hotel and in a great location! Sounds like a good rate too.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

http://gocharlestondeals.net/deals/o...layProduct/492

Here's a gocharleston deal of the day for 1/2 off Historic Walking Tour in case anyone who will be visiting is interested.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Charleston and cheap . . . the two words don't go together! Not that I don't love the city, but it's not a budget type of place.

Lots of good ideas already.
I also enjoyed Boone plantation a great deal. It's a little ways out of town, but it's a great view of what life was like for the rich back before the Civil War. This plantation is unique in that they made bricks (as well as growing crops), and the slaves on the estate slept in brick house; thus, you can see the actual houses in which the slaves lived, and you can get an idea of the cramped quarters. We had a great guide at Boone Plantation.

Food -- well, you can't go wrong much of anywhere in Charleston, but I strongly suggest Jessamine's Kitchen. It's a small place, open only for lunch, and it's some of the best food I've ever eaten. Expect to stand in line. It's been on Food Network. Or the Cooking Channel; they run together in my mind.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Charleston and cheap . . . the two words don't go together! Not that I don't love the city, but it's not a budget type of place.

Food -- well, you can't go wrong much of anywhere in Charleston, but I strongly suggest Jessamine's Kitchen. It's a small place, open only for lunch, and it's some of the best food I've ever eaten. Expect to stand in line. It's been on Food Network. Or the Cooking Channel; they run together in my mind.
I think you mean Jestine's Kitchen. They do have good fried chicken and homemade pickles.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceesmom View Post
That is a lovely hotel and in a great location! Sounds like a good rate too.
Thanks for the quick response, graceesmom. I was hoping I made the right choice. We are really looking forward to it.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
jojosam
Mouseketeer

A friend and I did a weekend in Charleston at the end of January. Chilly weather but low crowds! We stayed at the Hampton in the historic district for $159/night and it included a carriage ride and the ferry to Ft Sumter for both of us. Besides just strolling the streets and discovering hidden graveyards, we managed to fill a Friday evening and a full Saturday with

* Dessert at Kaminsky's (Yummm!)
* Aquarium
* Ft Sumter
* Market
* Carriage Ride
* Ghost walk

Plus a lot of yummy food!

If I get back again in the spring I really hope to get out to a plantation or two. I highly recommend a hotel in the Historic District, as you can easily walk to anything in the area. We probably logged 7-10 miles per day, but they were easy strolls and the exercise may have balanced out some of that food!

Enjoy your trip!
jojosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
winkytink
Mouseketeer

Charleston native here. *raises hand*

The plantations are beautiful at this time of year but all are expensive.

It's sneaky and underhanded but you can get onto the Middleton Plantation grounds without paying. Park in the lot just off the road and just walk through the pasture and you're in. You can't tour the house or join an official tour but there are enough markers around to read that can help you, brochures are free, and a book for $20 at Barnes and Noble can get you all the info a tour guide would tell you.

Watch out for alligators and those swans? Are mean!

Disney World Trips: 1996.

DH WT DD (5) DS (4)
winkytink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
idofabric
"How do I...?"

I live just up the road in Summerville...we did a Bakery Crawl a few weeks ago in search for the "perfect" bagguett...my DH is from France/Germany(military brat/retired..). We hit 9 bakeries in and close to Charleston and found that we love the baked goods at Brown's Court on St. Phillip. It has great breakfast goods and coffee. I bit of a walk, but doable for you.
I think that if you like window shopping any of the streets in downtown will be great. And there are a ton of churches, The Circular Church is great. And we have one of the oldest Jewish populations in the USA...There are great churches that are open free, and the cementaries have some famous people in them.
Also the gardens at the foot of Charleston are a short but nice visit. And the houses on Rainbow Row are great... in fact the Charleston Museum used to have a ticket that allowed you to visit several of the historic houses and other attractions in town for a lower cost then if you do each alone.
We do have some no-see-ems from now to Nov...on and off. And we do get some rain, but even with all that it is a great town to just walk in. It used to be that if a garden gate was open you could walk in and look around...but not sure that is true any more. The Charleston Visitor Center on Meeting St has more info and they will send it to you, they are online.
Hope you all have a great trip... been in the LowCountry for about 20 years now. When we moved here it was my 36th move in less then 35 years....love it here!
Other Disney trips... well, the kids got to go... But I own the timeshare and buy the tickets!
idofabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Nina1
Disney Lover

Charleston is one of our favorite places in the world. Husk and 82 Queen are our favorite restaurants (at 82 Queen, try to sit in the courtyard). Go to Magnolia plantation. Park at the Battery and just walk through the historic district. Get a cupcake at Cupcake. Take a carriage ride. Go to John's Island and see the Angel Oak (must be seen to be believed). Spend the day on the sand at Kiawah. Tour Ft. Sumter. Take a house tour. And, keep an eye out for Rhett and Scarlett.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
poohguys
DIS Veteran

We were there for the day the first week in April. Trying to do super cheap (DH just laid off). We went to Ft. Moultrie on Sullivan Island. It was about 15 mins outside of Charleston and a lot cheaper than the boat ride to Ft Sumter. It is a National Park and only $3 per adult, Kids under 15 (I think or maybe 17) were free or there is a family rate of $5. It was very interesting as the fort spans from the Revolutionary War up to WW2. We just drove around in the city of Charleston since it was late in the afternoon. We also went to check out Folley Beach. It would have been nice if it had not been super windy! Hope you have a nice time. I would love to go back when we can spend a few days there.

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

Last edited by poohguys; 04-17-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: hit post before finished
poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
alexensmom
Mouseketeer

Just found this thread and really appreciate the info from the locals! My parents are having their 50th anniversary next year and I would love to vaca with them in Charleston. My Dad's side of the family has ties to Charleston so the tours sound like a great idea but my two kids will revolt unless they can get some beach time. What beaches are close to Downtown/plantations? Google earth is my extent of knowledge about the area. Would it be prudent to stay outside of Charleston and drive in? My parents always prefer a condo type vacation vs a hotel room. Is that possible near Charleston? Any info is greatly appreciated.

alexensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
MOREMICKEYFORME
2 Pirates + 2 Princesses= 1 Family!

Thanks for all the great tips
MOREMICKEYFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Subscribing for our trip this summer.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
idofabric
"How do I...?"

And if anyone hasn't booked a hotel or B&B yet...for our DS wedding my FIL and family booked a whole house for 4 days! It was about $600 in Nov. And it had 4 bedrooms, a wonderfull kitchen, 3 1/2 baths, PARKING!!! free....and it was close to downtown. No one remembers the exact way they booked it, but my SIL said she just searched for "house for rent" in Charleston and looked at rating. It was the best deal to sleep 5 adults, only 1 married couple.
Other Disney trips... well, the kids got to go... But I own the timeshare and buy the tickets!
idofabric is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: