Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Tax Refund Question

DH and I filed our taxes with Taxact at the end of Jan. but the IRS was unable to accept the return because we had education credits so we waited till the Feb. 14 date. I logged on my Taxact account and it showed that our return was accepted on Feb 14 by the IRS as well as the state.

So I waited a day or so and then went to the IRS.gov website to check on the "where is my refund" to see if it was updated with a date that our refund would be deposited. There was no information other than the IRS was processing it.

I have check every day since then and it still isn't updated. Has this happened to anyone? I don't wanna be a pest and call the IRS with "where is my refund" because I'm sure they are a little backlogged with all the returns on hold from the education credits, but I'd would like to think that the pc system would have been updated within the week.

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

There is a whole thread about refunds

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
starry_solo
DIS Veteran

It's only been 6 calendar days since the application was accepted or only 3 business days (Monday was a federal holiday). Don't they say you need to give them at least 7 business days?
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak View Post
DH and I filed our taxes with Taxact at the end of Jan. but the IRS was unable to accept the return because we had education credits so we waited till the Feb. 14 date. I logged on my Taxact account and it showed that our return was accepted on Feb 14 by the IRS as well as the state.

So I waited a day or so and then went to the IRS.gov website to check on the "where is my refund" to see if it was updated with a date that our refund would be deposited. There was no information other than the IRS was processing it.

I have check every day since then and it still isn't updated. Has this happened to anyone? I don't wanna be a pest and call the IRS with "where is my refund" because I'm sure they are a little backlogged with all the returns on hold from the education credits, but I'd would like to think that the pc system would have been updated within the week.
Taking into account the holiday on monday and not counting the day it was accepted, today would only be the third business day. It hasn't even been a week yet.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
SHOREDAD
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't worry yet. As others have said you have to take into account the actual business days. Also I have dealt with the IRS on the employer side and when they say seven days they mean seven days or more. If it says processing that it probably means the refund is being processed. Hold tight
SHOREDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Who do you think puts the information into the automatic system? I work in logistics and nothing is automatic, most likely, someone somewhere is manually managing that automatic system. We refer to ourselves as the automation.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
Taking into account the holiday on monday and not counting the day it was accepted, today would only be the third business day. It hasn't even been a week yet.
I totally forgot Monday was holiday (at least for them).

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
tlkscott
Mouseketeer

Like you they would not take our return until the 14th because of education credits. I wish that they did like they have in the years past that said if you filed on such and such date your refund would be on such and such date.
tlkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Katlyn
DIS Veteran

I efiled on the 11th, was accepted right away but still no progress on the IRS site. So I am hoping mine will be coming along shortly since the Holiday is over.
Katlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
April7901
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind that IRS is ridiculously backlogged and got a huge rush of returns twice already (January 30th and February 14th). They also implemented new processing for education credits (which is why they were delayed to begin with), so things are just taking longer. Plus - the whole "Where's My Refund?" system was updated this year and is working differently than in years past - I'm not convinced it's working properly, to be honest, and I deal with it every day.

I e-filed on the 14th, was accepted the same day, and have the same message. I'd be very surprised if I don't have my federal refund by the 28th.
April7901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
dis75ney
Member of the Royal Society For Putting Things On Top Of Other Things...
My feet will stay firmly planted on the ground where they belong

Location: Land of four seasons: Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Road Construction...

I spoke with the IRS yesterday about a different issue, and mentioned the delay in processing on the website. I was told that even though returns with the 8863 form (the education credits) were accepted by the IRS on 2/14, the system actually did not start processing most of them until Monday, 2/18. This is what's causing the holdup in our status changes. Hopefully, we will see something by the end of the week...either with a direct deposit date or an actual deposit (if your return was one of the few lucky ones that processed early)...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
STLDisney_Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis75ney View Post
I spoke with the IRS yesterday about a different issue, and mentioned the delay in processing on the website. I was told that even though returns with the 8863 form (the education credits) were accepted by the IRS on 2/14, the system actually did not start processing most of them until Monday, 2/18. This is what's causing the holdup in our status changes. Hopefully, we will see something by the end of the week...either with a direct deposit date or an actual deposit (if your return was one of the few lucky ones that processed early)...

Thanks that is good to know.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

I waited for the processing message, a day or two later the application was being processed a da later saying to expect the deposit within ten days. Rejoice, I checked my bank account and it was in here already. So much for he automated system.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
HHSTigerFan
DIS Veteran

Here is my question, kinda long... Back in December I got a letter saying I owed about $1000 from our 2010 return because of a math error.. I called, they said I could either send payment or if expecting a refund for 2012, don't pay and they would deduct, which I chose...

So filed, was accepted, but instead of it showing I would get the $4400 I should, WMR says it would be about $3400.. Ok, all good, 2010 paid off... But, get the refund in DD today and its even less, $2600.. IRS website still says it should be $3400.. Any ideas?
HHSTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Nickimouse
I wish I could be Patrick Stewart's "Number One!"
Ask me what word freaks me out!
"What the heck is Snows-hoe?"

Quote:

We had the education credit too and our return was accepted on Feb. 14th. Our refund is pending in our checking account this morning with a deposit date of 2-25. The education credit was the reason for our refund. We received back most of the tuition we paid for both our boys tuition from the fall semester.

1980 & 1996 Contemporary-1997 Shades of Green-2001 All-Star Movies-2002 Wilderness Lodge-2004 AKL-2005 Fort Wilderness-2006 All-Star Movies (With the Band)-2007 Fort Wilderness- 2007 POFQ-2010POFQ 2013-Fort Wilderness
Nickimouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: