Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Passport Cards?

Will they work for a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas? It will be my husband and I and our two girls. We are thinking of getting these instead of passports because of the price difference?
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

Don't bother. They are no better than just birth certificates and ID when you are cruising. Passport cards are for border crossings. They won't help you if you have to fly home, and you don't need them if you sail home.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
Will they work for a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas? It will be my husband and I and our two girls. We are thinking of getting these instead of passports because of the price difference?
I agree with PP, they aren't worth the money. Since you have to get the certified BC in order to apply for the Passport card, there's really no reason to pay extra.

There's nothing that having a Passport card does for you that you can't do with just the certified BC and photo ID (for those 16 and over).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
SG101
Mouseketeer

In the case of a medical emergency, you or your family cannot fly home from the Bahamas without a regular passport. We bit the bullet and bought our family (2 adults, 2 children) passports in 2010. Thank goodness we did, because we have already will have used them 3 times by the time we go to Alaska/Vancouver in June 2014.

Of course, the childrens' passports are only good for 5 years - but I think it's worth the investment.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58
Don't bother. They are no better than just birth certificates and ID when you are cruising. Passport cards are for border crossings. They won't help you if you have to fly home, and you don't need them if you sail home.

Nancy
This is what disneys site says:

NOTE: The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries
the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated
to the exact same standards.
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, but those rights and privileges are the same ones you get using just the BC and ID. No need to spend extra money for it.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
tweis
DIS Veteran

Passport cards CAN be used for cruises but really they are NO different than carrying a bc and id since they cannot be used for international flights.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

I agree with previous posts.

To me, passport cards are in addition to passports. I can leave my passport at home and go to Canada or Mexico via land crossing with my passport card. Then I don't have to worry about losing a passport. In theory, you could cruise with a passport card and leave your passport at home. If you then had an emergency, you could have someone FedEx your passport, assuming the emergency would give you that much time to wait for FedEx!!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:

There really isn't a need for a passport card as you can always just use a passport. They were developed for use by people who cross borders often into Canada or Mexico, by land or sea but not air. They are a little easier to carry than a passport book.

If you want one (or in your case 4) go ahead and get them for the convenience of just having to have a card the size of a driver's license in your wallet. If you need to travel by air, you'll have to get a passport. If you'll only be traveling by land or sea, your BC is good enough.

If I had special circumstances and didn't want to explain a strange BC or something over and over, then yes, it might be worth it. My daughter is a naturalized citizen. Her BC doesn't work alone to prove citizenship, so I'd have to bring her Certificate of Citizenship plus her BC. If I lose the C of C, it's about $500 to replace, plus I don't want it all wrinkled. However, she has a passport so we just use that. If we lived in Vermont or Washington and crossed into Canada all the time, I might have gotten her a passport card. We don't, so I didn't.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Passport cards are useful if you are going to make land or sea border crossings on a regular basis - for a closed loop cruise they are no more useful than just bringing a birth certificate and ID. As noted by prior posters, they cannot be used for air travel.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
kstategrad
Disney Fanatic!

We went ahead and bought the cards a few years ago. We find it more convenient to carry them than the BCs, because they are small and fit in a credit card slot in your travel purse.

So, to answer the OP's question, yes, you can use a passportcard for your cruise. It won't be good for air travel, but it will be enough documentation to suffice for the identification requirements of the cruise line.
kstategrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
jessica29
DIS FAN

I did cards for my kids only as their stuff expires after 5 years and we can use them to cross the canada border ( we are in ohio). Otherwise if kids passports they lasted longer I would have gotten them a real passport. Either way I would not get one as an adult for the cost.
Dixie Landing Aug.96'--Fort Wilderness July 99'---Bonnett Creek (timeshare)Oct. 07'---Port Orleans Riverside March 10'---AKL/Disney Magic March 11'--- Beach Club Royal Pacific Universal 12'--- Disney Fantasy/NickMarch 13'
jessica29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: