Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
I wonder if the reason they haven't put one in yet is because of the volcano pool theme? What I mean is that an ordinary hot tub like any other resort just wouldn't do it, with a volcano theme. They might want extra theming, making the hot tub look like a thermal hot spring (with fake steam rising around it like the top of the volcano) or something like that. But if WL can implement a geyser more than 15 years ago now, it seems Poly could have done something similarly well-themed even earlier than that. Again, I think it's really strange for the Poly not to have one.
Nah, that's not it. Most volcanos I believe have some kind of hotsprings nearby, don't they? I would think that kind of theming would fit perfectly. It's all about money. Disney has had other things they'd rather put money into and people keep going to Poly and paying the crazy prices that we pay without a hot tub so there's no incentive for Disney to hurry up and put one in. I'm certainly not holding my breath that the September rumour will actually end up happening but boy would I like it.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man
 
grimley1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Nah, that's not it. Most volcanos I believe have some kind of hotsprings nearby, don't they? I would think that kind of theming would fit perfectly.
Well, that's kind of my point. It WOULD fit perfectly, but I wonder if, while realizing this, they are afraid of either a) putting in a regular hot tub inexpensively and then guests complaining that it doesn't go with the rest of the theme, or b) spending the extra money to really fit the theme (with fake steam, red-lighted interior, maybe extra large size, etc.) and then not being able to charge guests even more to stay there to pay for it. I think the price to stay there is at a maximum the market will be able to bear for a long time.
__________________
John
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Polydweller
DIS Veteran
 
Polydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Well, that's kind of my point. It WOULD fit perfectly, but I wonder if, while realizing this, they are afraid of either a) putting in a regular hot tub inexpensively and then guests complaining that it doesn't go with the rest of the theme, or b) spending the extra money to really fit the theme (with fake steam, red-lighted interior, maybe extra large size, etc.) and then not being able to charge guests even more to stay there to pay for it. I think the price to stay there is at a maximum the market will be able to bear for a long time.
They do want to put in a hot tub that meets guests expectations but it wouldn't be about charging more. Hot tubs aren't the huge attraction some folks think. They may help a bit in occupancy rates , nit hugely and not important to the Poly's occupancy at this pount, but its not enough of an attractor to charge more.
__________________
21 years staying at the Polynesian!
Next Trip: Oct 2014 Polynesian
Polydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Doryln
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25

Switched to CR for our 3/8 trip - they couldn't give 100% confirmation to my agent that it would not be closed then - too risky! If we arrive and it is open --- meaning if I call a day or two before, think I can switch? Even I had to pay the $50 change fee, I wouldn't mind. We didn't have to pay the change fee to switch to CR.
Doryln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man
 
grimley1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doryln View Post
Switched to CR for our 3/8 trip - they couldn't give 100% confirmation to my agent that it would not be closed then - too risky! If we arrive and it is open --- meaning if I call a day or two before, think I can switch? Even I had to pay the $50 change fee, I wouldn't mind. We didn't have to pay the change fee to switch to CR.
If they have vacancies, sure you can switch, but you'll have to pay the difference for the price of the resort, which is probably considerably more than $50.
__________________
John
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Doryln
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25

The poly room that we left behind was actually less than the CR room we just switched to. If anything it's just within $100 or so. I've never been to either poly or CR --- wanted this trip to be on the monorail, was hoping for poly. Should we just stick with CR, or try for poly last minute again if the pool is Guaranteed open??? not sure. 4 of us - 2 kids. Stayed in a diff WDW resort last visit.
Doryln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man
 
grimley1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doryln View Post
The poly room that we left behind was actually less than the CR room we just switched to. If anything it's just within $100 or so. I've never been to either poly or CR --- wanted this trip to be on the monorail, was hoping for poly. Should we just stick with CR, or try for poly last minute again if the pool is Guaranteed open??? not sure. 4 of us - 2 kids. Stayed in a diff WDW resort last visit.
That's an awful lot of uncertainty, switching resorts days before going. I like knowing where we're going to stay months in advance if possible. I'd probably just stick with CR at this point, if it were me. It's pool isn't quite the Volcano pool, but it's still a very nice pool, on the monorail, and unlike the Poly you can actually walk over to MK. The Poly and the Volcano pool (hopefully with a hot tub someday - fingers crossed) will be there for later trips.
__________________
John
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Doryln
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25

True true....better to be able to get 100% excited about something instead of being uncertain. Cool pool, we hung around it before our meal at chef mickeys last trip. And...hot tub thanks!
Doryln is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.