Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #46
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Hey Girlfriend!

How awesome to be going away with just your young man- GREAT idea! So great I am doing it myself with my youngest man on the Dream next month!

The cruise is the BEST- love it love it love it- easy and luxurious. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................................: goodvibes
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #47
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Free to use but $250 if lost or damaged right? I'm glad there is some sort of communication system. I can just see me not being able to locate Joshua and losing my mind. Did your crew use them?
Yes, free to use. We used them some but actually found the whiteboard to be as effective, or more. The e's were usually at the pool and we didn't want the phone there and K...well the phone didn't fit very well in the wallet she never carries.

We seemed to use them in the evenings a lot more than in the day.

Quote:
That's right, 0% too. Not that anyone ever on the DIS carries a credit card balance. I'm stoked to get the $50 OBC that I would have got had I gone through a travel agent.
I'd agree on insurance. Jeff doesn't agree but I'll tell you one trip when you need and and you will be so grateful! We could have used it on a flight once and since then I've at least insured the flights, depending on the flight cost/value. For Aulani we have it through DVC and will as well for the NYE trip but that won't apply to the cruise.

DCL will not insure us.

Or anyone in WA Something to do with our state insurance laws regarding pre-existing conditions that makes it too expensive for them to insure.

Typically if you use a TA and pay with your DV you can get both credits. It will vary by cruise length and agency. We got both for Alaska but didn't use a TA for the 4 night dream but had our rebooking credit. If we really do the S. Carribbean one I will probably transfer it over to a TA before final payment as that would get us a small extra credit in addition to our rebooking one but I like controlling the payments as long as possible, it drove me nuts the first time. Not the TA's fault, my own control issues.

Not surprised the Disney hotel offers are nuts, they were for the Alaska cruise too I heard. We've never even attempted it.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

So great that you are enjoying all the planing, it so fun to plan for a type of trip you've never been on
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #49
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hey Girlfriend!

How awesome to be going away with just your young man- GREAT idea! So great I am doing it myself with my youngest man on the Dream next month!

The cruise is the BEST- love it love it love it- easy and luxurious. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................................: goodvibes

Hey friend! How are you? How was Mexico? I need some pics. I only saw the one on FB. I need to see some sun even if its faux sun. Its set to snow another few inches tonight. I'm so very over it.

I didn't know you had a cruise coming up to. You are doing something right because you sure get to travel a lot. Where are you cruising to? Have you been on the Wonder? What are some must dos for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Yes, free to use. We used them some but actually found the whiteboard to be as effective, or more. The e's were usually at the pool and we didn't want the phone there and K...well the phone didn't fit very well in the wallet she never carries.

I have seen pics of the white boards. using a white board would mean we can find our way back to the room. My sense of direction is the worst. The wallet she never carries.

Quote:
I'd agree on insurance. Jeff doesn't agree but I'll tell you one trip when you need and and you will be so grateful! We could have used it on a flight once and since then I've at least insured the flights, depending on the flight cost/value. For Aulani we have it through DVC and will as well for the NYE trip but that won't apply to the cruise.

I have read a bunch and I'm all over insuring the cruise. G-d forbid we need to be flown out of there for some reason, the $116 will be well worth it. You're smart t insure especially because DVC insurance doesn't seem that expensive. of course I have read that 32 page policy but I did read the cruise one.

Quote:
DCL will not insure us.

Or anyone in WA Something to do with our state insurance laws regarding pre-existing conditions that makes it too expensive for them to insure.
Insurance companies are such criminals. Having said that, without insurance Chloe's meds would cost us about $6,500 a month. Instead we pay our family OOP max ($1,200) and we're good to go for all medication through the entire year.

Quote:
Typically if you use a TA and pay with your DV you can get both credits. It will vary by cruise length and agency. We got both for Alaska but didn't use a TA for the 4 night dream but had our rebooking credit. If we really do the S. Carribbean one I will probably transfer it over to a TA before final payment as that would get us a small extra credit in addition to our rebooking one but I like controlling the payments as long as possible, it drove me nuts the first time. Not the TA's fault, my own control issues.
I was going to use my friend who's a TA but Michael wanted me to use a cash/points condo. I read a ton and talked him out of it and then realized I don't want to have to go through someone else to make all of my plans. $50 isn't worth losing control. Do you use a TA now?

Quote:
Not surprised the Disney hotel offers are nuts, they were for the Alaska cruise too I heard. We've never even attempted it.

I did find a bunch of room/shuttle offers for pretty inexpensive but its such a crap shoot to me. I can always cancel the Disney airport/port transfer up until I pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToPrincePhillip View Post
So great that you are enjoying all the planing, it so fun to plan for a type of trip you've never been on

I bet you're loving it too. Your cruise is much closer than mine. I've been reading all of the first time and what to bring threads. They're are a ton of good ideas in them.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #50
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

So I'm lazy and don't want to go back and look. What port are you leaving from?
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #51
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So I'm lazy and don't want to go back and look. What port are you leaving from?

Miami.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #52
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Following along on your cruise. I thought that Joshua would choose the Disneyland Resort during the Holiday season over the cruise. This should be fun for the two of you during the Disney Cruise.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on June 23rd to 25th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #53
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Following along on your cruise. I thought that Joshua would choose the Disneyland Resort during the Holiday season over the cruise. This should be fun for the two of you during the Disney Cruise.

Good to see you here. Disneyland was the original plan and then we realized a mom/son cruise was feasible. We're so very excited. We've got a lot of fun planning decisions to make and we've been pouring over photos both on here and Google. I know daily room service of Mickey ice cream bars are on our must do list.

We're applying for his passport this week. I've heard of too many horror stories of those traveling without them.

We're actually getting the girls' passports as well.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #54
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I have seen pics of the white boards. using a white board would mean we can find our way back to the room. My sense of direction is the worst. The wallet she never carries.
Well yes, the whiteboard won't help much if you can't find the room. Luckily there are directional signs...my sense of direction is pretty horrific as well.

Quote:
I have read a bunch and I'm all over insuring the cruise. G-d forbid we need to be flown out of there for some reason, the $116 will be well worth it. You're smart t insure especially because DVC insurance doesn't seem that expensive. of course I have read that 32 page policy but I did read the cruise one.
$116 doesn't seem that bad, though if you insure the flights separately it's more. Still, to me, a couple hundred is worth some piece of mind.

Quote:
Insurance companies are such criminals. Having said that, without insurance Chloe's meds would cost us about $6,500 a month. Instead we pay our family OOP max ($1,200) and we're good to go for all medication through the entire year.
UGH! I am grateful for insurance. Our deductible went up this year, which bites, but big picture compared to so many I know I can't (or shouldn't) complain.

Quote:
I was going to use my friend who's a TA but Michael wanted me to use a cash/points condo. I read a ton and talked him out of it and then realized I don't want to have to go through someone else to make all of my plans. $50 isn't worth losing control. Do you use a TA now?
Typically no. When it makes sense though, I will.

Quote:

I did find a bunch of room/shuttle offers for pretty inexpensive but its such a crap shoot to me. I can always cancel the Disney airport/port transfer up until I pay.
That's a good point.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #55
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom

Well yes, the whiteboard won't help much if you can't find the room. Luckily there are directional signs...my sense of direction is pretty horrific as well.
They have directional signs? That's good. I don't want to miss parts of the ship but if I'm not mistaken we're near some stairs and part of me is tempted to just use those so we don't get turned around. We'll see, maybe Joshua won't ditch me as much as I think.

Quote:
$116 doesn't seem that bad, though if you insure the flights separately it's more. Still, to me, a couple hundred is worth some piece of mind.
[center]I don't think $116 sounds bad either. I never insure flights though I know I should. Have you ever had to cash in flight insurance? If I ever fly international again I'll insure them. We don't even insure Michael's flights to Africa.

UGH! I am grateful for insurance. Our deductible went up this year, which bites, but big picture compared to so many I know I can't (or shouldn't) complain.[/quote]

I'm grateful for sure. There are so many without insurance and many with subpar funding.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #56
Cackyschmackers
Cruise dreamin'

!

Hi! We're on your same cruise, too! v Deck 8, though. You will have a blast. This is our third Disney cruise, but first time on the Wonder. We've (our family of 5 ) cruised twice on the Magic, which we LOVE! The Wonder is identical, and all three cruises, we have/will stay in the same stateroom! We did the 8- and 7-night cruises (E&W Caribbean) so we are a little bummed this is just a 5-night, but we still can't wait. Our oldest daughter will be in 5th grade, and our 3 daughters missing 7 days of school for the last cruise were a little brutal; this time, they will only miss four days of school, since MLK day we have off. Let me know where your link is for the Miami hotels; we will be arriving a day early, like we normally do, and leaving a day later, since we have two weekends to play with. DCL is awesome; let me know if you have any other questions; we can't wait. My only other question is I am wondering if we get a Character Breakfast as we did previously, but I think not, since it's just a 5-night. If you know differently, let me know! Oh, I would NOT recommend the Disney trip insurance; it does not cover air. The insurance we use only costs $150, and it saved us big bucks, b/c our last cruise out of Galveston was delayed debarkation b/c of fog; we missed our flight and had to book another (x5) plus hotel room that night (that's a whole different story!). Can't wait til 1/19/14!!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #57
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Last year I did a five night and there was not a character breakfast.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #58
rentayenta

RedskinFan started a meet thread for our cruise if anyone is interested. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3067033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackyschmackers View Post
Hi! We're on your same cruise, too! v Deck 8, though. You will have a blast. This is our third Disney cruise, but first time on the Wonder. We've (our family of 5 ) cruised twice on the Magic, which we LOVE! The Wonder is identical, and all three cruises, we have/will stay in the same stateroom! We did the 8- and 7-night cruises (E&W Caribbean) so we are a little bummed this is just a 5-night, but we still can't wait. Our oldest daughter will be in 5th grade, and our 3 daughters missing 7 days of school for the last cruise were a little brutal; this time, they will only miss four days of school, since MLK day we have off. Let me know where your link is for the Miami hotels; we will be arriving a day early, like we normally do, and leaving a day later, since we have two weekends to play with. DCL is awesome; let me know if you have any other questions; we can't wait. My only other question is I am wondering if we get a Character Breakfast as we did previously, but I think not, since it's just a 5-night. If you know differently, let me know! Oh, I would NOT recommend the Disney trip insurance; it does not cover air. The insurance we use only costs $150, and it saved us big bucks, b/c our last cruise out of Galveston was delayed debarkation b/c of fog; we missed our flight and had to book another (x5) plus hotel room that night (that's a whole different story!). Can't wait til 1/19/14!!

Awesome and I'm so happy to be meeting people on the same cruise.

Thanks for the info on the insurance. I'm currently looking into AAA as well. I think I'd like the flights covered too though I've never insured flights before.

I don't think there is a character meal on our cruise but I could be wrong. I've still got so much to learn.

I will link you to any port to cruise hotels I find. We'll also fly in a day early and I'm considering doing AKV for 2 nights (no parks) but not sure yet. Our home is SSR but DS loves AKV. There's just so much to do there without any parks.

I totally understand about the headache of kids missing school. On our last trip to WDW, mine missed 6 days and it was very difficult for my oldest two to get caught up. That's part of the reason that this trip is just DS and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Last year I did a five night and there was not a character breakfast.

Thats what I thought too. Joshua will be 12 and not super into the characters as he was when he was younger.

I'm really hoping he makes a few friends at the Edge because I really want to try Palo on a sea day.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #59
SigalTchelet
Mouseketeer

Shalom!
I just have to say I LOVE the title of your thread and have always loved your name (you post on MP too, correct?). I am Jewish and want to say Mazel Tov to Joshua! I taught the pre k class here in Sacramento at my synagogue, and find great joy in going to the Bat/Bat Mitzvahs of "my kids". I was even honored with an Aliyah several times. The one piece of advice I give to the kids is to go slow when reading their Torah portion, as they often like to speed read it! :S I loved how you met the Israeli family at DCA-so cool that your kids keep in touch. Have you ever had the chance to go to Israel? I went for Hanukkah 2005, and it was so cool! I see you are going to Club 33 soon-how cool is that? Hope you will do a trip report for that. I am going on the Fantasy in November, right after Thanksgiving, and during Hanukkah. I am hoping they will have some sort of celebration and serve latkes! Well, I've rambled on enough. Looking forward to following yours and Joshua's journey! :D :D :D

(and yes, Sigal Tchelet is my Hebrew name!)

Siggy aka Jill
Siggy's Fantastic Fantasy PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081866
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort 1994
Disneyland: Many times in my childhood, October 1976, March 1977, June 16, 1977 (Grad Night), severasl times in the 80's, August 1991, October 3, 2009 (50th Birthday), May 2010, October 2010, February 2011, May 2011, October 2011

SigalTchelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
Shalom!
I just have to say I LOVE the title of your thread and have always loved your name (you post on MP too, correct?). I am Jewish and want to say Mazel Tov to Joshua! I taught the pre k class here in Sacramento at my synagogue, and find great joy in going to the Bat/Bat Mitzvahs of "my kids". I was even honored with an Aliyah several times. The one piece of advice I give to the kids is to go slow when reading their Torah portion, as they often like to speed read it! :S I loved how you met the Israeli family at DCA-so cool that your kids keep in touch. Have you ever had the chance to go to Israel? I went for Hanukkah 2005, and it was so cool! I see you are going to Club 33 soon-how cool is that? Hope you will do a trip report for that. I am going on the Fantasy in November, right after Thanksgiving, and during Hanukkah. I am hoping they will have some sort of celebration and serve latkes! Well, I've rambled on enough. Looking forward to following yours and Joshua's journey! :D :D :D

(and yes, Sigal Tchelet is my Hebrew name!)

and Great to have you! Yes, I used to post on MP ages ago.

This will be our third bar/bat mitzvah in a row. We're certifiable for sure. We belong to a very small synagogue with only student rabbis so I'm truly hoping that last year's student rabbi can officiate Joshua's big day.

We try to tell them to go slow too but they all seem to rush through their portions. I did a portion at our oldest and then an Aliyah at Chloe's and will most likely do an Aliyah at Joshua's. Learning the portion was so overwhelming for me. Old dog and new tricks and all that.

I love that your username is your Hebrew name! Mine is Miriam. Not very creative.

I haven't been to Israel but would love to one day, it's a dream. Did you love it? How long we're you there?

I think I saw that one of the ships had something for Holocaust Memorial Day so I'm thinking they'd recognize Hanukkah too. I hope they do. That'd be very cool.

Are you kosher? We're not. We're reform, pretty liberal. We don't do pork or shellfish at home though. Vacation is another story. My middle, Chloe, doesn't have dietary restrictions due to medical issues so she can eat whatever she wants. She's a bacon fanatic.

I will for sure post about Club 33. I'm beyond elated. A very generous friend is sponsoring us in and joking in my BFF and I for lunch in celebration of my 44th birthday.

Tell me about your cruise later this year. I love the details!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: