Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Top 10 Things to Pack on a Disney Cruise

Hi all!
I've had the pleasure of experiencing two Disney Cruises and look forward to our third on the Fantasy in October!! I always learn something new when I come to these boards, and as a person who has not been on many cruises, I greatly appreciate the vast experience of others. That being said, I would LOVE to know what your Top 10 items to pack on Disney Cruise are (besides the obvious things like clothing). Especially with the recent issues with Carnival...I wonder how many people would now add extra snacks, flashlight, hand wipes, etc to their packing lists. Here are my Top 10 having learned from the two cruises I have taken. Looking forward to seeing what yours are!

1. Safety Tats - I love these. They are sticky temporary tattoos that your children wear on their arms and last for at least a week. They are the size of a bandaid and can have your phone number, allergies or other information written on it in case you and your child get separated. I was thinking for the cruise you could write DCL and then your room number since cell phones don't work onboard.

2. Over the door shoe hanger - we used this a lot for extra items we couldn't fit on the bathroom shelves: hair brushes, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc.

3. Boxed movie candy - I may have been looking in the wrong place, but on the Magic and the Dream I didn't really see anywhere to buy movie candy. I did see some outside the big theater where they have the stage productions, but the selection isn't great and it's pretty expensive. Next time we go I'll definitely grab a few boxes at my local Target for $1 and be prepared for movie time!

4. HydroFlask - LOVE these. I take them everywhere I go, especially to the parks and on excursions. Remember that you can't fill your personal cups directly at the beverage station, but what I do is take one of the Disney paper cups and fill my hydro with ice and water that way. They don't sweat, keep cold things really cold and hot things very hot all day.

5. Pop Up Hampers - These are great for people like me who HATE having dirty clothes in a pile in the corner of our stateroom. They fold up really flat and I like to take two - one for the kids and one for DH and I. It's also much easier to carry dirty clothes to the laundry facilities when we want to do a load of clothes.

Disposable sippy cups - My DS3 still likes to drink out of a sippy cup so I buy a pack of disposable ones before we leave. That way I don't have to worry about washing his favorite cup from home in the bathroom sink - gross. We just use it and toss it.

Bonine - If you're like me, and you have an issue with motion sickness - I highly recommend Bonine. I've used Dramamine and those arm band things but Bonine has worked the best for me. I can take it without it making me drowsy at all. Just remember to start taking it the night before you leave on the cruise. If you wait until you get on the ship it will take awhile to work and you might feel weird.

8. $1 Bills for Room Service Tipping - Great idea because I really don't use cash on the ship for anything else, it's nice to have an envelope with $1 bills in it so I can quickly grab a couple when my nightly milk and cookies are delivered. :-)

9. Sunscreen/sunglasses - I think this goes without saying, but ANY time of year you go it's super important to use sunscreen, even if it's not blistering hot.

10. Power Strip - DH loves gadgets. It's a good thing we brought a power strip with extra plugs the last time we cruised because between our phones, iPads, laptops, rechargeable batteries, etc... it would have been difficult to charge everything.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

1) Not my idea but a friend just told me about a solar charger for my cell phone.
cntkg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
melglnh2o
DIS Veteran

Besides many of the items already mentioned, I always take a travel umbrella. Not just for the obvious (rain) but also to provide shade for my toddler either at the beach (you never know if there will be trees or chair umbrellas, etc), while in the ocean/pool or just walking around a port. I also always take her sand bucket and some shovels/sand toys. These items are usually way overpriced if you buy them there.
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

My top 10 for me and my wife, in no particular order:

1. Less
2. Less
3. Not as much as you think.
4. Remove some of that.
5. Not that.
6. Nope
7. Bathing suit
8. Passport or other identification
9. Less
10. Remove that
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I'm wondering if safety tats would be needed if your child is going to a club and keeps their tracker bracelet on the whole cruise? On shore it may be useful, but while on board, they should be able to track the kid down.

Sunscreen is always a top priority for me.
Packing outfits that all coordinate so if something is spilled, you can just grab another shirt/pants, etc and be done.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
outtabux
Earning My Ears

I have a question about item 4. I wanted to bring my Disney park cups with me for the beverage station. Do you just fill the little paper cups multiple times and then walk away and dump then in your bigger cup??
outtabux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post

1. Less
2. Less
4. Remove some of that.
5. Not that.
6. Nope
7. Bathing suit
9. Less
10. Remove that
You forgot the credit card.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtabux View Post
I have a question about item 4. I wanted to bring my Disney park cups with me for the beverage station. Do you just fill the little paper cups multiple times and then walk away and dump then in your bigger cup??
You don't even need to walk away. Grab one of the DCL cups, fill it with ice and soda, then pour it into your cup. Repeat that process with the same DCL cup until yours is full. Make sure the cups don't touch when pouring.

They don't care if you use your own cup, they just don't want you putting it directly up to the dispenser (so no germs are transferred).
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
phillmolly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melglnh2o View Post
Besides many of the items already mentioned, I always take a travel umbrella. Not just for the obvious (rain) but also to provide shade for my toddler either at the beach (you never know if there will be trees or chair umbrellas, etc), while in the ocean/pool or just walking around a port. I also always take her sand bucket and some shovels/sand toys. These items are usually way overpriced if you buy them there.
This is not the first time I have seen the suggestion to bring sand toys, but I am curious as to how you travled with them? We are going to be on the ship for Easter and I would love for the Easter Bunny to bring sand toys for DS. But how do I get it on the boat?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmolly

This is not the first time I have seen the suggestion to bring sand toys, but I am curious as to how you travled with them? We are going to be on the ship for Easter and I would love for the Easter Bunny to bring sand toys for DS. But how do I get it on the boat?
When we went on the fantasy last year, we just bought sand toy at Castaway Cay. It was only around $12. Saved us from having to pack them. We just left them at the vacation house we rented in Orlando the following week.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
ludari
DIS Veteran

With the exception of cash I don't bring any of the items on the list you provided but then again I'm a solo traveller so my packing list is more like Four Swampers. I do always bring a small but power flashlight when I travel regardless if it's a ship or hotel room.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
melglnh2o
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillmolly View Post
When my daughter was younger, we would pack the shovels/sand toys in the bucket and then strap it to the outside of her diaper bag so we didn't take up much needed luggage space. Now that she is older (almost 3), we still put the shovels/sand toys in the bucket and either pack that in our luggage (we seem to need to pack less and less for her as she gets older) or we put it in her backpack that she carries. We only take two shovels and maybe two or three sand toys. She doesn't need much to keep her entertained.

On a side note though, there are collapsible sand buckets that might work better for you.
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
ctomblin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers

1. Less
2. Less
4. Remove some of that.
5. Not that.
6. Nope
7. Bathing suit
9. Less
10. Remove that
Love it!

ctomblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Mizzcoreta
Earning My Ears

I got two collapsible sand buckets off of amazon for about $8 each plus shipping for my boys. They are really nice and pretty much lay completely flat.

We also just got this thing from Ikea that's supposed to be good for drying bathing suits. It kind of looks like a little chandelier with clips hanging off of it to clip everyone's suits to.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

We always take a battery operated night light for the bathroom. Those of us that need those middle of the night potty runs don't want to wake up too much by turning on the regular light!
queenofeverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: