Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
serene56
DIS Veteran

i need'to know what th etax rate is in the world'so i can figure,out oops vs'dining plan
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
i need'to know what th etax rate is in the world'so i can figure,out oops vs'dining plan
6.5%
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

We took our first OOP trip in May and it worked out fairly well. We were there for a special event and had tickets through that, so we didn't have the option of adding dining, but since it was just me and my girls (then 10 & 3 and generally content to share a single adult entree) there wasn't much chance for sticker shock at the restaurants. And we were only there for a few days so it didn't add up too badly.

Our first "real" OOP trip is coming up in a couple weeks. I have an AP now and on paper the TiW works out to be a much better deal than any of the dining plans, but I'm still a little uneasy about not having things prepaid. I have a generous dining budget on Disney gift cards for the trip but I'm not sure even that can replicate the "don't worry about prices" feel we'd grown used to over several DDP and DxDDP trips.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #19
serene56
DIS Veteran

we have a large'group going.
most want to do the dining plan but when i do the math of their choices they are throwing away a heckmof a lotmof money. almost 14 -19 a day

we are going 7 nights... so they get 7 sit downs 7 counters and 7 snacks.
at a cost of 770 per couple.
one of the sit down choices is cinderella castle which is two credits.
with doing my math they are getting 13 meals and 7 snacks.

with me paying outnof pocket i can get 15 meals and 5 snacks at a cost of 660 which does include the tax.

with doing my oop i can not figure out why a person would need to eat 2 desserts and one snack every day.

my oop does notminclude a dessert but does allow each a snack per day

my question--am i forgetting to add something.. that seems like a huge difference to me
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

We have done it both ways. The last two trips have been deluxe dinning plans and our May trip with be our first one with "just" the regular plan. I do it for convenience. I have never really felt like I have received some big value from it, I just like to pay up front.

DH and I have totally different outlooks on money. I book the trip, pick a dining plan and am able to say the trip is $x - the only thing left to pay for is if you want the kids to have souveniers. It keeps me from having to listen to him say the entire trip "Water!! Who the heck pays $5 for a bottle of water!! Water is free." And other comments like that.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
we have a large'group going.
most want to do the dining plan but when i do the math of their choices they are throwing away a heckmof a lotmof money. almost 14 -19 a day

we are going 7 nights... so they get 7 sit downs 7 counters and 7 snacks.
at a cost of 770 per couple.
one of the sit down choices is cinderella castle which is two credits.
with doing my math they are getting 13 meals and 7 snacks.

with me paying outnof pocket i can get 15 meals and 5 snacks at a cost of 660 which does include the tax.

with doing my oop i can not figure out why a person would need to eat 2 desserts and one snack every day.

my oop does notminclude a dessert but does allow each a snack per day

my question--am i forgetting to add something.. that seems like a huge difference to me
You're probably not forgetting anything, but without desserts, they may wonder why you want to go OOP. What is the price point for the snacks you are including for OOP? Are you allowing any desserts at TS to share? Did you include drinks in your OOP?

Don't get me wrong. My family does way better OOP than DDP, but that is because we PREFER to drink water with our meals and we PREFER to order one dessert with TS to share instead of all four of us getting two desserts per day.

You need to take into account how your party WANTS to eat while on vacation. If everyone wants their own dessert and wants to get high dollar snacks, then you might be better off with DDP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
serene56
DIS Veteran

in my oop for dining- i did not factor in any dessert with a meal. I did put in one snack at 5.00 so if we wanted a dessert instead of the snack its there.

i put in milkshakes where available. I did put in soda. i added the 6.50% taxes.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

We have the DDP as part of our package as of right now but if FD doesn't come available I'm considering paying OOP....We are a family of 7 and my kids don't eat huge meals. I'll have to look at the menus where we plan to eat and see how much cheaper it would be. We do plan on eating at 3 character meals though.

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We are also not doing the DDP our next trip.

We have always had the DDP for all of our trips.

We are getting TiW, we are annual passholders, and we are DVC. So we will have discounts but we do have to pay TiW fee.

We will be there for 14 days. I have done all the maths and found that we can eat the way we want and still come out even with the DDP. My math also includes Tips, eating where and what we want, cost of TiW, and tax, everything.

By paying OOP, I can also decide if I want a CS meal or a pretzel and Ice Cream for lunch. Hey, I am on vacation. DDP made it feel like I had to get a CS meal or lose money at the end of my vacation when I didn't want to eat a full meal because I was stuffed.

I am excited to eat the way I want on vacation for a change.

I personally felt the DDP restricted our family a bit. There were several times I want an appetizer instead of a dessert and I was not able to get that off the DDP unless I ordered it separately and paid for it. Why would I do that when I have already paid for the DDP? Also, I felt there were too many desserts on the DDP.

Also, our children have both reached DDP adult ages. Too expensive in my opinion.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Here's another OOP'er here. Have been to WDW four times, fifth coming up this summer, and done the math on DDP every time....and it always comes out a loser for us by several orders of magnitude.

Caveat that we drive down, and hence have our own vehicle for off-Disney driving, and visit some local places, and we plan to eat light breakfasts in room almost every day before hitting the parks, so planning on four specific OOP Disney meals for our crew works out much better for us than DDP. And we never feel "compelled" to eat the extra dessert or extra meal just to use up the credits.

Obviously depends on the travelers and how they plan to eat, but OOP has always worked best for us by far. YMMV
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

No matter what I do with three adults I cannot make any of hte DDP's work for my family. I gasped when I ran the numbers for the DXDDP for four of our 14 nights...at $1188 that is nearly my whole food budget from last year. Plus for 4 nights I would be literally going from dining to dining to use them all up. QS not even a breakeven for us, regular DDP still costs more than I would spend and does not fit the way we eat.
It isn't like I am skimpy or care what we spend I just can't justify paying more for the frustration that comes with eating within the confines of a plan and knowing that there are no savings to be had for us.

We will be eating at
The Plaza
Kona
BOG (a lunch and a dinner)
Narcoosees
Tony's
Chefs de France
Sci Fi
Via Napoli
Kouzzina
WGP Upstairs
Portobello
Mama Melroses
Raglan Road
I have four nights open and will check what is available when we are ready to eat.
Each day there will be at least 1CS as well, and I never limit what anyone has for snacks or meals.
Last year including groceries I spent $1685 total for 14 nights in food, alcohol, snacks, meals.
DXDDP would have cost $4158 and not included alcohol or groceries
DDP would have been $2334.78 and not included apps, alcohol or groceries
QS DP would have been $1578.36 and not included TS, alcohol or groceries
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
catne
DIS Veteran

OOP + TIW works very, very well for us.

After numerous trips with either paid-for DDP or free DDP, and a few with Deluxe DDP we reached the point that we just could not stand all that wasted food. (And yes, as PPs have indicated...we know you don't have to eat everything on your plate/plan...but it's hard not to order the dessert when you know you already paid for it.) We all too often found ourselves wishing you could order apps instead of dessert (or one app & one dessert to split) Sometimes we wanted counter service instead of counter service when all we had left was table service credits (and didn't want to waste a table service $ credits on counter service.)

We went OOP with Tables in Wonderland about 4 trips ago (we have out of town guests often through the winter, and do lots of 2-5 days trips to Orlando)

Have to say we LOVE the flexibility...and love getting discounts on the whole bill, including the adult beverages. It is wonderful to order whatever we want including nothing-but-appetizers & wine...or splitting a dessert for the whole table when we want a bite of sweet but not 4 desserts.

We actually spend about the same on food overall...BUT we get more adult beverages paying OOP...we don't order sodas just because they're covered...and we rarely leave any food on the table because now we're ordering exactly what we want...and we never feel like we're stuffing ourselves just to justify the money we already spent on a dining plan.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
Bete
DIS Veteran

Deleted post
Bete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
grelca
Earning My Ears

When my mom and I went last year, we had the deluxe dining plan and I actually made a spreadsheet to see what (if any) we were saving.

We did actually save a lot of money. However, we would not have gotten a lot of what we got (appetizers + desserts + soft drinks) if we hadn't had the dining plan.

So I also decided to check what we would've spent with the normal dining plan if we'd gotten the same things (minus appetizers - at the time both were 2 snacks a day) and paid OOP for whatever our cheapest meal of the day was (except in cases where we had more than one TS in a day but whatever I worked it out). We would've saved money using that, too.

So then I put in another comparison to see what we'd have spent OOP on just the entrees and "snacks" (which we both almost exclusively used for bottles of water). And the regular dining plan would've been cheaper for us than OOP based on what we would've ordered without it.

So for us, the dining plan seems like a good option. Maybe we just like the expensive options, I don't know :P

But we probably won't go for the deluxe again. We really did waste so much food.
grelca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
abinormal
Mouseketeer

I was playing with the calculator from See Ya Real Soon and it's pretty interesting. I'm not sure which way I would go to be honest. It pretty much comes out a wash for me based on what kinds of things I put in.

It'll be tricky for me to decide because when we go it will be the first time since 2000 for both me and my husband. And I've never actually eaten anywhere at WDW besides a few random CS places and snack kiosks. So we'll have no opinion on any place, and there's a lot we'd like to try.

We drink a lot of pop and like to get desserts. Apps we only get sometimes but some on the menus sound really yummy. Some I'd rather have instead of an entree. I don't know what kind of character meals we'd do, but I'm sure there would be at least one or two.

It's a way down the road but strangely enough this is fun for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: