Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

Going All Out, or How to Make Your Husband Crazy. A Pre-Trip Report

My first Pre-Trip Report! Yay!!

*Sorry for the seemingly random photo sizes. No idea how to fix them!

The Players:

Me (33)

DH (35, thinks I'm nuts)

DS (4, is definitely my child, and those are MY glasses, not his)

The Details:

Trip Dates - March 2nd-8th
Staying - Holiday Inn and Suites and the Disneyland Hotel

The Backstory:

I grew up in Oceanside, California. This meant frequent day trips to the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, and... Disneyland. We had five kids in our family, so the trips were never extravagant, but we didn't know the difference. Some of my absolute most treasured memories involve being at Disneyland. Love.

DH, on the other hand, grew up in Kansas. He never went to Disneyland even once, despite having a mother who grew up in Southern California, and he really couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

Regardless of his complete confusion about what I saw in Disneyland, in 2006, I somehow managed to convince that man up there, the one with the I'm humoring you, but I still think you're crazy look on his face, to spend our honeymoon at Disneyland. Who knows what kind of miraculous Disney magic came into play to make THAT happen.

The famous Disneyland churros. Yum.

It was a glorious three days in October, so the weather was nice, the crowds were manageable, and we were in love. We were on a budget, we had to take pictures of our ride photos with our cell phones, but we still had a pretty awesome time.

The next time we went was when our DS turned two. His birthday falls right around Thanksgiving, so we drove from Colorado (where we were living at the time) to spend Thanksgiving with my family in Utah, and then we kidnapped my little brother and went to Disneyland. We could only afford one day at the parks, but we went, and we had a blast. Even DH.

Waiting to see Captain EO (that's DH, DS, and my brother)

DS just wanted to talk to Pooh about the beautiful ornaments on the Christmas tree. I'm always so impressed with the characters and their ability to take a situation like that and still make it a cute photo.

I have been DREAMING of taking DS back since we left the parks that night. Originally DH and I made a ridiculous deal that we would go every five years (WHAT was I thinking??). I lasted two. We moved back to Southern Nevada last year, which makes a trip to Disneyland MUCH more feasible. We're also in a much better position financially this time around (which means that we're not eating ramen for dinner anymore; we've graduated to the good stuff. Kraft. ), so I was able to, once more, talk DH into a trip. And not just ANY trip. I somehow must have gotten a hold of some of Tink's pixie dust, because we are going on a DREAM trip.

Ok, so we're not staying at the Grand Californian, and we're not going to be eating at Blue Bayou every night, but this is the first time I've really be able to go all out, so I am WAY excited.

We'll be at the parks for four days, and we're staying at the Disneyland Hotel for our last night, spending the rest of our nights at the much more modest, but totally comfortable Holiday Inn and Suites.

My goal is basically to make the trip as special as I can for DS, so I'm doing all those fun things that I've never been able to do before. I ordered Photopass+, we have ressies at Minnie and Friends, I have all these super fun little surprises planned for him, beginning with the biggest surprise: that we're going!

So, there's my introduction. If you read this far, YAY! Welcome aboard! I'd love if you would follow along!

Next up, when I have a few minutes, I want to lay out my plans, including our itinerary, and the fun surprises I have in store for DS (and one for DH, too; I'm telling you. I'm going to sell him on the magic of Disneyland one of these days!).

Upcoming: Dec. 2013

CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a good trip

I might have missed it, but are you going this March, or next year? I will also be there during the first part of March, and we're also spending one night at the DL hotel. Two hotel early entries!

I am excited to hear what you have planned for your DH, I am always looking for ways to get my BF more hooked. He really likes it when we're there, but he isn't really at my level of excitement when we're not there.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

I almost laughed out loud at your title. My DH loves Disney, but my over-planning (when we were still months out) has been making him a little crazy too...

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I might have missed it, but are you going this March, or next year? I will also be there during the first part of March, and we're also spending one night at the DL hotel. Two hotel early entries!
This year. As in 2 weeks from this Saturday (squeeeeee!!!). Maybe we'll see you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
I almost laughed out loud at your title. My DH loves Disney, but my over-planning (when we were still months out) has been making him a little crazy too...
My DH loves Disney, too. He really does. He's the one who joined the Disney Movie Club and is planning on spending a couple hundred dollars on Disney Blu-rays from them when we get our tax refund (I honestly think HE'S a little crazy in that department, but that's his thing; movies, electronics, you know). He just doesn't get Disneyland's draw. It's mostly because he has ZERO nostalgia for it (whereas he does have nostalgia for the movies). I'm determined, though. I'm going to convert him, yet!

Upcoming: Dec. 2013

CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
LOL, me too! I had to read this for the title alone as DH has banned me from talking about the trip until we are 6 months out. He just can't get obsessing over whether or not I make a blue bayou reservation.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
dznyfam3
Earning My Ears

Yes I've been banned from DH about talking about the trip until we get to the airport! LOL! He loves Disneyland and grew up going to it like I did but he doesn't understand my obsessive planning for it!
Numerous trips as child 1984-1997, WDW honeymoon - All Star Movies Feb 2005, Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites Jan 2006, Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites Jan 2007, Disneyland - Marriott Residence Inn Jan 2008, Disneyland - Howard Johnson Anaheim Jan 2011, Disneyland - Red Lion Jan 2012, Disneyland - Desert Palms Hotel Feb 2013
dznyfam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
MRA5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyfam3
Yes I've been banned from DH about talking about the trip until we get to the airport! LOL! He loves Disneyland and grew up going to it like I did but he doesn't understand my obsessive planning for it!
We are going in three months and I'm close to being banned from taking about too lol
MRA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
melissac
DIS Veteran

Banned from vacation talk is something familiar to me. We had to cancel our springbreak trip because DD(16) tore her ACL skiing and will be having it repaired so trip was changed to June. Here's the problem. I have never planned any vacation in 3 months. Mine are usually mininum 12 months out.

Funny thing about being banned is when the time comes for the trip everyone asks 100 times what the plans are and how come I make all the decisions. HELLO I was told not to obsess over the trip and do whatever I thought. I vowed this trip that once all plans where made I would make a schedule and print it out for everyone. We'll see. Hope your trip goes great.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: