Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

how many individual families??
for ex.
Your parents
Your family(dh and kids)
etc.

Go to each "head of houshold" and explain the ADR situation, with that you should atleast get an idea on what types of food or restaurants to avoid. or if any have been to WDW before any place they want to go or don't want to go.
Then ask if they all want to eat every meal together or have some individual alone family time.( which I would do) Plan maybe a meal a day together and thats it, if certain people want to stay together for the day they can and if they dont its ok. I would go with your educational experience whether it be the dis, touring plans, etc. to plan yur park days.

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
dana1003
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the replies...hard to plan sit downs cause I'm not sure what everyones budget is for food? I'm going ahead an making ressies on what I think would be best for kids and priced fairly..come July if they don't like it oh well :{
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

We have also gone with groups that didn't really want to plan, in part because they weren't familiar with WDW. So, we sent everyone that was going a fun survey for them to complete by a certain date (don't give them much time). The survey was pretty comprehensive, and our guests thought it was hilarious. It turned out that almost everyone returned the survey, and we were able to take everyones input and plan the trip. If you want a copy, you can PM me.

As others mentioned, you can get ADR's for 10 people; we were willing to split into 2 groups, so that made it easier too.

Also, we find it easiest and most enjoyable for everyone to not stick together the entire time. We usually get to the parks together and ride a few headline rides together. Then we split into groups and meet again for lunch or something.

You can take a lot of time to plan, but if it bugs other people, they don't need to know what you are doing. Send out a tentative itinerary in July, and most likely, everyone will be impressed by the trip and excited to go.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
BDL
DIS Veteran

We already started spitballing ideas for a Dec 2014 trip, by Day 3 of our Dec 2012 trip.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I plan at least my airline reservation a year in advance, if possible. There are very few non-stop flights from Seattle to Orlando, and if you want a seat on one of those flights, you have to book waaaay in advance.

Other stuff can wait a bit longer.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I just planned a trip a week out because we had some free flight money that was going to expire and SWA had great flight prices so our out of pocket expence was $20.00 for taxes!!!! Usually we plan a few months out.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

We started planning the day we booked the trip, just after New Years. Planning to us is making ADRs with an eye towards what parks we'll probably be in that day. Lunches are wide open since who knows where in the park/property we'll be and counter service is perfect for lunchs. We made the ADRs knowing that we'll cancel a few but we wanted to grab the reservations to be safe.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
sarahhhmarie27
Earning My Ears

I would say plan as soon as you know the exact days your going. If you start booking in July then you may not get many ADR or to the restaurants you want to get into. Especially the popular ones and when there is ten of you. I would say you want at least that 180 days in advance to plan all your ADRs not till July. You can plan anytime but even the same with the hotels. With ten of you, you want to give far enough notice so there will be enough rooms for all. Doing it in July for an August trip the hotel you want may not be able to accommodate you or if you all want to be near each other they may not be able to. So this brings me back to when you know your exact dates book it then! It is refundable up to 30 days before I believe just in case. Airfare can be tricky. I usually check back daily because sometimes they have excellent deals and I would then jump on that. Also when booking ADRs if you want to be at that park that day keep that in mind. Also I would check for the hours of each day you are there as well to plan what parks and ADRs for each day. I hope this helps!! :D
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
DivaNez
Earning My Ears

So excited! We're going next year.
DivaNez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

What you have to plan are your ADRs especially the popular ones and this will depend on what park you do if the ADRs are in the park. If they are not in the park, it doesn't matter as much. Also the reservations for the room are needed. So you should have a rough idea of what days you want to do parks, what your main ADRs are and the hotel reservations.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, there will be 3 of us going in August, but, until last week, the one friend, didn't respond...so...I basically was planning in my mind and once I got the ok that she is going, I was beating the bush so to speak to make a couple of ressies...needless to say, we only have 164 days and I wasn't able to secure the times I wanted. Now, I am planning like a Disney addict !!!!! I am also planning for a cruise April 2014!!! It's never too early to plan Good luck...
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
dana1003
DIS Veteran

I've secured boma , 50's , crystal palace, and garden grill. Looked at BOG for dinner but there is nothing on the menu that appeals to me so ....
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana1003 View Post
We are going this August ( haven't been in 5 years!!so I am very excited) dh is not a Disney fan but is going because its a group of 10 of us- all family. Prob is- I am planning with a family member and we are trying to plan meals , which park on which day, airfare.. Etc but when I try to ask hubby or my parents who are also going, they tell me they don't want to talk about it till July?? So what do I do?? Wait? LAN it all myself??
Oh, boy, that sounds like LOTS of fun.

If nearly half your crew doesn't understand that at least a modest amount of planning is necessary for a successful WDW trip, I can't fathom how a group of ten is going to get along.

In all honesty, I would explain to the DH and/or his "side" of the family that some minimal planning is necessary. You are probably all-too aware that you just cannot wait until July to plan an August WDW vacation. That's nuts. That's setting up for a miserable vacation, and "group" vacations of that size are hard enough. I can't think of any vacation (Disney or otherwise) where I'd wait until the last month to make any plans. That's nuts.

I certainly understand that vacations can be a time where you want to relax, not think, sleep in, etc., but if you don't realize its nearly impossible to have that kind of vacation with Disney (at least one most people come away with having enjoyed).

If they flatly, categorically refuse to participate, then you're going to have to use your best judgment and make ADR's and take care of other items yourself. You might give your DH fair warning that's what you're going to do, and he has the option not to participate in the planning, but things have to be done or everyone's money ends up wasted, and comes home angry and miserable.

I'm only a moderate planner compared to many here, but I already have park days lined up, hotel reserved, and ADR's booked, and we're over three months away. Heck, I've even customized and saved our Google route maps (driving). I can't imagine trying to wait until a month or less before.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
dana1003
DIS Veteran

Well I spoke to my parents this weekend who are part of the ten and they said whatever dining I make is fine with them, hubby could care less he says as long as it isn't fast food everyday he has 4 business trips before our August trip so he says he can't concentrate on ours right now.. As far as the other family, I sent them an email telling them what dining i picked and that I included them and that they have 2 days before to let me know of they want to tag along or not. They told us ahead of time they are NOT early risers so I let them know we would prob meet them on the park then
Our kids are 9 and his are very young do I let him know we would prob split up in the parks anyway as his kids wouldn't be able to ride the same as ours. At this point I am planning for my family and am building my day based around us. There's certain places we want to eat and things we want to do ..
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well I spoke to my parents this weekend who are part of the ten and they said whatever dining I make is fine with them, hubby could care less he says as long as it isn't fast food everyday
Think I'd make him sign and date that.

Quote:
(DH) has 4 business trips before our August trip so he says he can't concentrate on ours right now..
Good grief, I'm three-plus months out and my family's vacation is almost all I can think about Traveling a lot on business would tend to blunt the excitement of other travel, even if on a family vacation, I s'pose.

Quote:
As far as the other family, I sent them an email telling them what dining i picked and that I included them and that they have 2 days before to let me know of they want to tag along or not. They told us ahead of time they are NOT early risers so I let them know we would prob meet them on the park then.

Our kids are 9 and his are very young do I let him know we would prob split up in the parks anyway as his kids wouldn't be able to ride the same as ours. At this point I am planning for my family and am building my day based around us. There's certain places we want to eat and things we want to do ..
Smartest plan you could make IMHO.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: