Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #31
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorail3 View Post
I'm going next year. I'm also a huge disney nut but can you help me with some of these? My ear is hear to listen and take the advice

2. was to expensive
ME: did you do what I suggested to pop a pin code? What is this?
BBB: Uuuuuh.. No I got busy
Me: Well did you, check the special offer page before you booked online? Can you please direct me?
BBF: Uuuuh.. I forgot
Me: Well did you call an ask?
BBF:The wait on the phone was to long.. Me: how long BBF: 5 min..
I've never heard the phrase 'pop a pin code' but, right now, for example, when you go to www.waltdisneyworld.com don't go straight to 'book a vacation package'. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and find 'special offers' in small print. They are, for example, offering resort packages for 30% off rack for spring vacations right now :-)

And the OP is hilarious

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #32
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

We get this all the time too, as we are going twice this year people think we are EXTRA crazy now. My DH told them at work that we are going to Boston in the summer too, and one guy said "OOHHH did they build a Disney there too??? Is that why you are going there???"

Super Annoying!!! This is why I like the Dis.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

some people don't want help. i never offer help if i'm not asked.

and some people want to be miserable. just let them be.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #34
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
some people don't want help. i never offer help if i'm not asked.

and some people want to be miserable. just let them be.
I totally agree with all of this, especially the bolded. I too do not offer the help unless they ask.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeH View Post
There is someone who is absolutely obsessed with how we can afford to go - they don't bother to ask us (just talk bad about how much we spend on vacations) so they don't bother to ask what we do without for the year in order to splurge for the only week my husband gets off for vacation.
We have these people in our lives, too. Well, my vehicle is from the last millennium and we didn't build a custom home in a new neighborhood. We also stay at the Swan or Dolphin on points.

We make the choice to say no to lots of things so we can afford our vacations (Disney or otherwise).
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom View Post
We have these people in our lives, too. Well, my vehicle is from the last millennium and we didn't build a custom home in a new neighborhood. We also stay at the Swan or Dolphin on points.

We make the choice to say no to lots of things so we can afford our vacations (Disney or otherwise).
Exactly! You make choices as to what are the things that are important to you. We decided a while back that "things" aren't as important as experiences.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #37
godchaser
Mouseketeer

I too would love to know how to "pop a pin code".
Thanks in advance for the info!!!!!!

7/2010-Off Site;:6/2011-CSR;6/2012-All Star Music;7/2013- PORS;5/2014- CSR;
godchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P-C-O-T View Post
My best friend has been to Disney twice and cannot afford to go back, because, they spend from $14,000-$16,000 on each trip oh and they can't even afford to stay onsite

They usually travel for 2 weeks and the reason they spend so much money is because they pay around $800 for a mini van, as they are a family of 4 and would never fit in a regular car , plus they always do Discovery Cove, how can they not? Plus spend a week at Disney, where they go commando from opening to closing and do every single ride, but, they must bring their own food as they can't afford to eat there and they have to go to La Nouba, they are at Disney after all. Then, they go to Universal for 3 days where they MUST do Blue Man group. Then they do Sea World, Busch Gardens and Aquatica. Then, they spend the last day shopping at the Outlets to spend the last few thousands they have left.

And she tells me all the time that she cannot understand how we can afford to go so often, so, I tell her that for $14,000 I can go to Disney 5-6 times for the same number of days, stay onsite, eat onsite, take DD and my nephew (which also makes us a family of 4), rent an SuV or a minivan while paying for a mid size (thank you National!) and while we don't do Sea World, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, Universal or La Nouba on every single trip, we may visit one or two during the year. Then she tells me... So, you don't do everything?
God in heaven... Personally, our most expensive Disney trip, everything included, was just over 2k. And we didn't sacrifice a thing. I just did one with my family that had to cost more then 10k by the time we calculated things like souvenirs... We stayed at the Poly and my mother bought, I kid you not, 5 Dooney bags.

I swear to heaven, that kind of spending at Disney stressed me right the heck out. Granted, they can more then afford it, put absolutely none of it on credit and paid cash for it all, but still... Holy cow. So not used to anything other then the budget trip to Disney. And I can honestly say that it's as fun at 2k as it is 10k.

My feeling about our Disney trips always is the same... My husband works 50 hour weeks, I work 60-80 hour weeks. That extra income pays for our trips, and then some. We put nothing on plastic (though we just got a Disney Visa we'll charge trips to and pay off right off so we can get the points), we have no credit card debt, no outstanding debt... We're not on food stamps, social security, and we pay all our bills on time. We rarely eat out, we don't take other smaller vacations, we don't even go to the movies or have cable.

Our Disney trips? That's our luxury. What's the difference between us spending 4k to go to Disney twice a year and those who spend the same each year on other day-to-day luxuries like cable and eating out and other little tidbits? That's what we choose to spend our disposable income on, and we can afford it, so why do people care? What's the big deal?
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #39
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
"I go THERE because they refuse to bring it to ME!"
This is the best quote I've ever seen. If I had the power, I would declare Robo official winner of the Dis on the merit of this quote alone!
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
"I go THERE because they refuse to bring it to ME!"
Oh oh, I am so stealing that line from now on. Classic.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #41
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

My 2 cents as a newbie I've learned SO much just watching this forum keeping notes We vacation 2x year so we were used to the saving financially tho 14,000 my DH would fire me from accounting lol As pp stated some folks seem to cause theirselves trouble often&even as adults try to differ the blame-I'd talk talk talk about how GREAT your experience has been not directly bringing up their complaints just letting them know ALOT of ppl enjoy the experience stinks tho her kids miss out cause of her laziness ;/
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

It's like many other things - someone asks, you volunteer as much info as you can, and its up to them to leverage your experience-based advice, or not.

I've had several people ask me about our trips to WDW, and I tell them, but whether they follow the advice is up to them

We usually have to go in the summer, because fall/spring dates just won't cooperate with school and work schedules. That sucks for us, but c'est la vie, so we go in knowing its going to be hot and probably crowded (but never as bad as we'd feared). We mitigate it some by going in early/mid June. At least we go in armed with the knowledge. But to just walk in blindly, not plan, and then blame Disney for it is, well, kinda bizarre.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #43
bennifer
Mouseketeer

I always help people plan when they ask me. I have a friend who has never been to WDW, but always tells me she 'desperately' wants to take her family of 6, but there's no way she can afford $10-15K on a vacation. WHAT!?!?! So, I show her how she can take her family for MUCH less, she says thanks, then 3 months later, she starts talking about how it would cost her $10-15K to go to WDW. ???? I tried...her loss!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #44
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Just to answer a few questions...

BBF= best bosom friend...
Anyone who has read Anne of green gables, knows what I meant ;-) , and anyone who hasn't... It's a VERY good read...

>>>>Popping a pin code..

What has ALWAYS worked for me.. ( and I offer to do this for her, on her disney account)

1. about 12-9mo. Before our trip I would go every 3 days a save a vacations offer..
The next time I would put in a different hotel.. Then maybe add the dinning plan, just keep Changing little things, and saving them..

2. I order my DVD at around 6-7mo..
3. Book all my dinging the week of 180days..
4. Call WDW.. Ask them for price quotes! (A CM told me this one)
Don't call more then once every 2-3 weeks tho.. Disney can see how many times you have called to ask about those dates..

I forgot to order maps for up coming trip- but still got a pin code.. So I'm not sure if they are still using that to pick people..

Also look up when disney releases offers to the public... Info can be found on mouse savers.com
Disney has normally set me out pin codes about 1month BEFORE they release offers to the public..
But my pin code normally is a 5%-10% better savings on room offers, or FD!
There is no point wasted time if they have already released offers for your dates.. I've NEVER gotten a pin code, after the public has a offer for my dates..

>>>>> and that's pin code popping 101! ;-)

And to be clear I asked if my BBF wanted help.. She said YES!
I asked if she would just like me to plan it and hand her a sheet, that she can follow.. (My friends normally love this) b/c I give them options if they need to adjust it! :-)
She said no.. B/c she thought it would asking to much of me...

There was no convincing her that I LOVE to do that!!

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #45
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

Yeah some people don't want help. They think they know it all. My sister, repeat, MY SISTER, went once years ago when her kids were little. Now my family goes 2-3 times a year, have been DVC members since Oct 1991, have had APS since forever, etc. She never asked me for help. They had an OK time, but will never go back again. It was hot, too expensive, crowded, etc everything that you (the OP) said. Then my brother-in-law's brother and family went once and they are never going again because "there wasn't anything for our kids". WHAT?? Now my nephew and his wife( my husband's side)
went for their honeymoon last summer and I helped them get a better price for their room. They thanked me repeatedly and told us all about it and had a
wonderful time. You never know. I think some people are just not "Disney" people. I know my sister certainly is not. My brother is, he's like me, loves Disney. It figures because he and I are so much alike and our sister is from another planet. ANYWAY, the bottom line is I think it's better to give advice when asked and if people don't have a good time and won't go back, GOOD, more room for the rest of us who love Disney!!

Enjoy The Magic!!
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: