Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
rag10576
Earning My Ears

Comcast and Marvel

Dont you think comcast will want to get rid of Marvel since they cant use Marvel in california? My opinion is they want both Hollywood and Orlando to be the same.
rag10576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I don't know what would be gained by having both the same. Certainly something would be lost if Comcast stopped using Marvel characters in FL.
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
Dont you think comcast will want to get rid of Marvel since they cant use Marvel in california? My opinion is they want both Hollywood and Orlando to be the same.
In a word...nope.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Universal isn't going to spend the $millions it would take to excise Marvel from IOA just because they can't use them in CA. They had the opportunity to use them in CA and passed, but they seem perfectly happy with what they've got.

It will take something really big to come along for them to retheme the whole area.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The thing they want to be the same the most is they want those areas to be PROFITABLE. There's no chance that they give up their Marvel related rights in Florida.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~I love what Disney had done with Marvel! I wish Comcast would just sell the rights to the Avengers. I don't see the real point in hanging on to it. I wish Disney could buy Comcast!!!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I don't see them getting out of the Marvel business at all! They already have the Marvel area built, they only pay Disney/Marvel a fee for it, as long as the fee is not more than what they make with the land, why would they give it up.

Executive #1: "Oh, hey I got an Idea, why don't we give up the rights to some of our most popular attractions so that those other guys down the road can build similar attractions instead?"

Executive #2: "Good idea, you're fired!"

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
~I love what Disney had done with Marvel! I wish Comcast would just sell the rights to the Avengers. I don't see the real point in hanging on to it. I wish Disney could buy Comcast!!!
If Disney could Comcast...it would be the end of Comcast. They would price it out of 90% of people's budget.

Disney is "reserved" for the elite with the lucrative exception of their crappy merchandise. Seems like an easy trend to see...

I'm glad there's no Mickey cable
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
If Disney could Comcast...it would be the end of Comcast. They would price it out of 90% of people's budget.
Comcast is doing a good job of that all by itself.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
rag10576
Earning My Ears

It sucks that Disney cant take advantage of their products. I realize there are prior contracts. But disney also wont let Comcast/universal expand the area. Eventually one side will give in.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
The thing they want to be the same the most is they want those areas to be PROFITABLE. There's no chance that they give up their Marvel related rights in Florida.
I don't think there a chance Disney will be willing to pay a price Universal will be willing to accept.

Months ago Screamscape gave a scenario describing how Universal could re-theme, assuming they could get the rights to use DC characters. Spiderman could become Superman. Daily Bugle (did I get the name right) would become the Daily Planet.....

Quote:
It sucks that Disney cant take advantage of their products. I realize there are prior contracts. But disney also wont let Comcast/universal expand the area. Eventually one side will give in.
Disney is taking advantage. They're getting royalties from Universal. They're making money on Marvel movies, merchandise etc.

We don't even know if Disney is even trying to negotiate with Universal.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
rag10576
Earning My Ears

You got to think there are ongoing negotistions or at least there will be when the time comes.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
You got to think there are ongoing negotistions or at least there will be when the time comes.
When what time comes? The contract between Marvel and Universal is open-ended. As long as Universal wants to keep paying, they keep playing. And Disney can't really do much about it.

Disney did NOT buy Marvel for the theme parks.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
rag10576
Earning My Ears

To be honest I dont think thats true. It may not have been the prime reason, but It could one of the reasons.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
To be honest I dont think thats true. It may not have been the prime reason, but It could one of the reasons.
Had theme park rights been a significant reason Disney could have made the deal contingent on Marvel negotiating a buyout of Universal.

Disney might as well try to purchase the theme parks from Comcast. Probably the only way Comcast would agree.

Last edited by Lewisc; 02-21-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: