Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #31
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
[center]That'll be fun! It'll be nice if Joshua makes some friends as I'd like to play a little BINGO and I believe he's not allowed in.
He can go to Bingo as long as you are with him. It's a lot of fun!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj

He can go to Bingo as long as you are with him. It's a lot of fun!
He can??? Cool! He can't play though right? Is there anything for kids to do in the BINGO room?

Hope Sunny is on the mend and you're acclimating into real life.

I fly home today from So Cal and here's my observation: holy Botox and plastic surgery. Insanity! Love the beach and most of the culture but this aspect seemed so over the top to me.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #33
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Hi RY!
You must be really psyched! A solo trip with your son sounds like a great way to celebrate! We did our first ever cruise (though with the DH and sibs) last June for our youngest's bar mitzvah celebration. It was AWESOME. I felt well prepared for it after my long months on the DIS (ok, years). Yet there were still surprises and spontaneous experiences. Our guys were 13 and 15 then and they still talk about it as the best family vacation ever. Nadav spent some time in the Edge but not a whole lot. He chose the activities he wanted to do with them rather than just hang out all the time. He liked the scavenger hunts and ice cream socials. He LOVED the movie theater and went to I think 5 movies, some on his own. It was great for him to have independence and be able to decide his own activities, too. We had some great hot tub time together, and the Mickey 500 - build a race car with vegetables - a MUST DO. Oh, and "The Wheel", i.e. Wheel of Fortune - also really fun time. You're going to have a blast! And, MAZAL TOV on the bar mitzvah! We did 2 big celebrations separated by 2 years and I thought THAT was exhausting!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Hi RY!
You must be really psyched! A solo trip with your son sounds like a great way to celebrate! We did our first ever cruise (though with the DH and sibs) last June for our youngest's bar mitzvah celebration. It was AWESOME. I felt well prepared for it after my long months on the DIS (ok, years). Yet there were still surprises and spontaneous experiences. Our guys were 13 and 15 then and they still talk about it as the best family vacation ever. Nadav spent some time in the Edge but not a whole lot. He chose the activities he wanted to do with them rather than just hang out all the time. He liked the scavenger hunts and ice cream socials. He LOVED the movie theater and went to I think 5 movies, some on his own. It was great for him to have independence and be able to decide his own activities, too. We had some great hot tub time together, and the Mickey 500 - build a race car with vegetables - a MUST DO. Oh, and "The Wheel", i.e. Wheel of Fortune - also really fun time. You're going to have a blast! And, MAZAL TOV on the bar mitzvah! We did 2 big celebrations separated by 2 years and I thought THAT was exhausting!

It's nice to have you. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Mazel Tov to your son as well. Thank you for the activities advice too. I was looking through some Navigators on another thread and they just don't give a ton of info. Did your son attend the first night planning meeting at the Edge?

Where did you cruise and on what ship? Originally I was looking at the Eastern Caribbean for 7 nights but its just not doable. Missing 5 days of Junior High has me stressed enough.

ETA: I see a cruise to Canada? What was the itinerary?

Three in a row is making me a little nutty. We have a very small congregation with only a student rabbi who comes once a month. And our rabbi usually changes every year. Last year was the first that our rabbi stayed two years so both girls was fortunate enough to have the same rabbi. I'm trying to get him out here again to officiate Joshua's. Having the same rabbi for all three would be very special for us. He's got his own congregation in CA so he's trying to figure it out. Wish us luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #35
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Yup we did the 5 night NYC to Canada. My family lives in the NY area so it worked out great. More nights than that wasn't feasible in terms of $$ and also timing. The 5 night was FUN!!! Two sea days and 2 port days (Halifax and Saint John). I like your itinerary a lot - if I was sailing from Miami that's what I'd choose, too! Nadav attended the opening meeting at the Edge, and the older kids did so at the Vibe. I think the language thing may have held him back a bit from bonding with the other kids but he didn't seem to be bothered by it and enjoyed the activities he chose to do with them. When he "set the alarm" on the first Sea Day to go see an 8:00 am showing of "Chimpanzee" which no one else wanted to do - I knew he had settled in just fine!
My older kids' bar/bat mitzvah was on the same date as Nadav's 2 years earlier, so that was our "continuity". I hope you get the rabbi to come out again! No matter what, though, it will be special.
Ask any questions - we all LOVE to babble about cruises!

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
franandaj

Quote:
He can??? Cool! He can't play though right? Is there anything for kids to do in the BINGO room?

Hope Sunny is on the mend and you're acclimating into real life.

I fly home today from So Cal and here's my observation: holy Botox and plastic surgery. Insanity! Love the beach and most of the culture but this aspect seemed so over the top to me.
He can play bingo, but if he gets a winning card you need to claim it for him.

It's nice to have Sunny back home.

I've gotten so used to all the plastic surgery and stuff here, so much that when I see people who could benefit from it in other places I notice. Sad huh?
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #37
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Yup we did the 5 night NYC to Canada. My family lives in the NY area so it worked out great. More nights than that wasn't feasible in terms of $$ and also timing. The 5 night was FUN!!! Two sea days and 2 port days (Halifax and Saint John). I like your itinerary a lot - if I was sailing from Miami that's what I'd choose, too! Nadav attended the opening meeting at the Edge, and the older kids did so at the Vibe. I think the language thing may have held him back a bit from bonding with the other kids but he didn't seem to be bothered by it and enjoyed the activities he chose to do with them. When he "set the alarm" on the first Sea Day to go see an 8:00 am showing of "Chimpanzee" which no one else wanted to do - I knew he had settled in just fine!
My older kids' bar/bat mitzvah was on the same date as Nadav's 2 years earlier, so that was our "continuity". I hope you get the rabbi to come out again! No matter what, though, it will be special.
Ask any questions - we all LOVE to babble about cruises!

That sounds like a great trip. Glad your son was able to acclimate even with the language barrier. We've got two sets of really good friends who live in Israel and another who got home from sabbatical there late this last summer. One of the groups we actually met at Disneyland. Its a long but cute story......It was October 2009 I believe and we were in DCA. The girls wanted to go on Toy Story so we split for a little bit. When we met up with them after they said they had made friends with two girls from Israel. We were like: what??? Anyway, later that day we ran into the girls and their family and ended up spending the next day inside Disneyland with them too. My kids Hebrew was choppy at best and their English was even choppier. What prompted the beginning of a nice friendship was their girls peaking Hebrew and my girls chiming in with what little they knew. The parent's English was much better, the father was fluent and the mother not too far behind. The extent of my Hebrew is whatever Torah portion I''m trying to memorize. Anyway, long story short, its been a nice friendship that all started at Disneyland. Facebook and Skype allow everyone to keep in touch.

What ship did you sail?

I hope Joshua finds some fun activities he'd like to do without me. Not that I'm trying to ditch him but he's a pretty social kid and I think it'd be fun for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
He can play bingo, but if he gets a winning card you need to claim it for him.

It's nice to have Sunny back home.

I've gotten so used to all the plastic surgery and stuff here, so much that when I see people who could benefit from it in other places I notice. Sad huh?
I'm glad she's home. How's she doing? Are you unpacked?

Well, I could benefit from some so be prepared. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be. I'm home sick right now, watching a movie with Meg Ryan, and its a shame she has filled her face so much she's almost unrecognizable.

I'll gladly claim his prize. Do they give out anything good? What about the DVC meetings on boards, what are those about? Any swag?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
MEK
DIS Veteran

Joining in - your cruise sounds great and I really do love those navigator's verandah's.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
franandaj

Quote:
I'm glad she's home. How's she doing? Are you unpacked?

Well, I could benefit from some so be prepared. The old gray mare ain't what she used to be. I'm home sick right now, watching a movie with Meg Ryan, and its a shame she has filled her face so much she's almost unrecognizable.

I'll gladly claim his prize. Do they give out anything good? What about the DVC meetings on boards, what are those about? Any swag?
I was really good this trip! We were unpacked the day after we got home.

I've seen pictures of you, and no plastic surgery is required. You look great!

Mostly what they give out is cash prizes that are credited to your stateroom account. They had some drawings inbetween the games where they handed out DVC bling, mugs, T-shrits (maybe) and other little trinkets. The big one is on the last day in the afternoon where they have a big jackpot.

We missed the DVC meeting, but when we went by the desk they gave us everything we would have got. A couple grocery bags, baseball hats and nice portfolio with a pen and writing pad. Pretty cool.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #40
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I was really good this trip! We were unpacked the day after we got home.

I've seen pictures of you, and no plastic surgery is required. You look great!

Mostly what they give out is cash prizes that are credited to your stateroom account. They had some drawings inbetween the games where they handed out DVC bling, mugs, T-shrits (maybe) and other little trinkets. The big one is on the last day in the afternoon where they have a big jackpot.

We missed the DVC meeting, but when we went by the desk they gave us everything we would have got. A couple grocery bags, baseball hats and nice portfolio with a pen and writing pad. Pretty cool.

How's Sunny feeling? Glad you unpacked. It's 2 am and I've still got bags sitting in the living room from our St. George trip. We got home last night. I'm having a little insomnia but not enough to get out of bed and do laundry.

The BINGO swag sounds cool as the does the DVC stuff. Thank you! I guess it all depends on Joshua if I make the DVC meeting. I'm guessing they'll allow him in with me. I really need to research where he's allowed and not allowed. I know he can't go to Palo.

Can I ask, how do you and Fran communicate when you split up on ship as there's no cell service? I'm worried about how I'll communicate with Joshua if he ventures into the Edge or a movie with friends.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #41
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

They have these things called 'wave phones' that are basically cell phones that work on the ship.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
They have these things called 'wave phones' that are basically cell phones that work on the ship.

Really? Cool! Do I have to rent them? Do they come in our stateroom?

I'm calling Disney right now and adding on insurance. I talked to the rep for a while and if I understand correctly it seems that if for some reason the insurance won't reimburse for the trip, Disney will credit me the full amount of the cruise for a future cruise.

I also got the Disney Visa. I called and got a refund on my deposit and recharged it using the Disney Visa. By doing that I get a $50 OBC because the entire trip will be paid for with the Disney card. They sure make charging fun.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #43
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Really? Cool! Do I have to rent them? Do they come in our stateroom?

I'm calling Disney right now and adding on insurance. I talked to the rep for a while and if I understand correctly it seems that if for some reason the insurance won't reimburse for the trip, Disney will credit me the full amount of the cruise for a future cruise.

I also got the Disney Visa. I called and got a refund on my deposit and recharged it using the Disney Visa. By doing that I get a $50 OBC because the entire trip will be paid for with the Disney card. They sure make charging fun.
And you'll get 0% financing for 6 months on your cruise payments plus earn rewards dollars! Wave phones are in the stateroom. Do not lose (or jump in pool) with. $250 a pop! You may want to check on insurance through insure my trip, or AAA it's a lot less than through DCL.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #45
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post

Is that good or bad ? It's a fun trip to plan for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
And you'll get 0% financing for 6 months on your cruise payments plus earn rewards dollars! Wave phones are in the stateroom. Do not lose (or jump in pool) with. $250 a pop! You may want to check on insurance through insure my trip, or AAA it's a lot less than through DCL.

Free to use but $250 if lost or damaged right? I'm glad there is some sort of communication system. I can just see me not being able to locate Joshua and losing my mind. Did your crew use them?

That's right, 0% too. Not that anyone ever on the DIS carries a credit card balance. I'm stoked to get the $50 OBC that I would have got had I gone through a travel agent.

I've got AAA so I'll check, thank you for the tip. I can always drop Disney's insurance but I'm convinced that insurance is a must. As someone who uses the heck out of our medical plan, it's so worth the peace of mind.

As far as a hotel the night before, I checked into the hotels that Disney offers and they are charging an arm and a leg. $390 for the Eden Roc and over $400 for the JW Marriott. I started a thread about where to stay the night before and there are some great deals that include transfer to the ship the morning of the cruise.

This is a blast to plan.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: