Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddygirl View Post
In my "everyday real" life:

$25 for a sandwich?! No way!

In my "we only go to Disneyland once every 2-3 years after budgeting and saving to have a magical vacation having fun and playing with our kids and saving my birthday money to have lunch at the Blue Bayou" life:

$150 for lunch enjoyed INSIDE the POTC ride we all love so much, having a legendary Disneyland Monte Cristo sandwich, sitting on the verandah of a stately house strung with paper lanterns, watching the boats float down the bayou, listening to the banjo and watching the fireflies in the twilight and seeing the wonder of it all in my children's eyes? Worth every single penny!!! When we can get to DL again this meal will be budgeted right in to our trip.
This, exactly
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Califgirl

VMK MVP
I heart my DIS VMK friends
Looked for Stitch, but found Huck Springs!

You can get "Cristo Nuggets" at the STage Door Cafe, at the Mint Julep window (I believe) and back at the Thunder Mountain Ranch area (not the BBQ). It is the same Monte Cristo taste in small easy to enjoy nuggets. They even come with the Jelly. That's about all of a Monte Cristo I can handle anymore, and I usually share the nuggets, too. I know it's not eating in the BB. But it is the Monte Cristo, just in bite sized form.
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Disney will continue to raise prices as long as we keep paying them. I am so disappointed in what Disney has become.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
Disney will continue to raise prices as long as we keep paying them. I am so disappointed in what Disney has become.
Disney has been and always will be a for profit business. They place has been completely packed everytime I have been there in the last 10 years. The ONLY way they can control the crowds is to raise prices. My only regret is that they don't raise prices more during busy periods. Disney should really explore varying prices based on projected demand during different times of the year.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
debdreamsofdis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califgirl View Post
You can get "Cristo Nuggets" at the STage Door Cafe, at the Mint Julep window (I believe) and back at the Thunder Mountain Ranch area (not the BBQ). It is the same Monte Cristo taste in small easy to enjoy nuggets. They even come with the Jelly. That's about all of a Monte Cristo I can handle anymore, and I usually share the nuggets, too. I know it's not eating in the BB. But it is the Monte Cristo, just in bite sized form.
Are these Cristo nuggets a new thing?? I have never heard of them before.
debdreamsofdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #21
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

That price is right in line with the pricing from the early days of Disneyland for entrees in the "gourmet" restaurants. I'm sure Walt would be very happy about it.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
sunflare
Mouseketeer

I think they were only offered during the Golden Horseshoe Revue Limited Time Magic. I've heard rumors that they're gone now.
sunflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #23
pennyring
Thrift Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
Disney has been and always will be a for profit business. They place has been completely packed everytime I have been there in the last 10 years. The ONLY way they can control the crowds is to raise prices. My only regret is that they don't raise prices more during busy periods. Disney should really explore varying prices based on projected demand during different times of the year.
Ummmm... they do.

Why do you think hotel rates differ?
Why do you think Park Hoppers are only good through a certain date? (Currently, the "cheap" ones expire March 11.)
Why do you think Character Dining prices differ?

Disneyland has had "seasons" forever. Peak season is the most expensive, and so on down.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyring View Post
Ummmm... they do.

Why do you think hotel rates differ?
Why do you think Park Hoppers are only good through a certain date? (Currently, the "cheap" ones expire March 11.)
Why do you think Character Dining prices differ?

Disneyland has had "seasons" forever. Peak season is the most expensive, and so on down.
They vary the prices a bit. I was thinking they could charge $500 to $1000 for a five day park hopper during Christmas. Maybe more. They should also start charging APers a surcharge of $75 to go on busy days. On light days they could boost the food discount to 40 or 50%. They need to do something balance supply and demand with the goal of having an equal number of people at the parks every day of the year.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
They vary the prices a bit. I was thinking they could charge $500 to $1000 for a five day park hopper during Christmas. Maybe more. They should also start charging APers a surcharge of $75 to go on busy days. On light days they could boost the food discount to 40 or 50%. They need to do something balance supply and demand with the goal of having an equal number of people at the parks every day of the year.
That certainly wouldn't be fair for families that have members that can't take vacation during non-peak times, like teachers!

And it's hardly an ANNUAL pass if you really mean for it to be a "NON-PEAK TIME PASS". There are different levels of AP that have busy days blocked out already, but if you pay for a Premium Pass for example, with no blackout days, there certainly shouldn't be a surcharge for going on certain days!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
Lewdannie
Mouseketeer

Fellow Aussies visiting this thread will be surprised to hear outrage at paying $25 for a main meal in a fancy restaurant. Over here we can expect to pay $40 plus.

Granted it all fun and games for us now that the Aussie dollar is above parity, but when I first visited the DLR in 1999 it was worth only 0.56c US.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #27
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Wow...Walt's speaking from his grave again. Maybe someday he will talk to me.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I know what you are saying, but there are many other places to eat....but they are not the Blue Bayou, maybe a once in a lifetime experience

Jack
That's why they charge what they charge...people will pay it.

At Disneyland you can walk out the gate, walk a block to a restaurant and buy a similar sandwich for less than half the price, plus a drink. But it won't be at Blue Bayou.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Even 10 years ago I could only afford to make Blue Bayou a once-per trip visit, and it was about a third cheaper then. Still, I've *never* found a similar or similarly good Monte Cristo anywhere else, and it really is shareable. DBF is getting his birthday cake foisted upon him at BB while we're there, and we'll probably share a Monte Cristo. It really is a lot of food, so you don't have to feel like you have to pay $25 per person. And if it's only the sandwich you're after, as others have said, you can get it at Cafe Orleans for a third cheaper.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!

mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
There are different levels of AP that have busy days blocked out already, but if you pay for a Premium Pass for example, with no blackout days, there certainly shouldn't be a surcharge for going on certain days!
The problem is that they have sold more than a million AP. They don't charge nearly enough for the Premium APs. The price should be closer to $2,500 year. They should also sell a pass for $49 that lets you go on the 50 least busy days of the year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: