Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #466
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

My Destination:

I did the Orange Team. I thought about how much more fun this ride was than Forbidden Journey because even though, it had all the funny G forces, I wasn’t swinging to and fro in a wild unpredictable manner so as to make me sick.

Fran met me in the gift shop (as we normally do on this ride) since even the green team makes her sick.

By this point the window for our FPs had opened up so we headed back to The Land Pavillion.

I find this queue so dull and boring compared to the entry at DCA. There is a lot to look at and read when you’re waiting in line, but the ride never seems to have a line that extends into the queue area. I’m not sure why the ride is so wildly popular with such long waits in FL when in CA it is almost always close to a walk on.

Since we were right there we decided to go on this ride. It had probably been 15 years since I last rode this one. The wait was 25 minutes, but the CM noticed Fran with her two canes and let us board through the Handicapped/FP line instead.

I tried to take pictures during the first part of the ride, but it was too dark, so here’s the rest. I had forgotten how cool all of this high tech plant growing really is. You’ll have to excuse my abundance of pictures. Those of you who followed my first PTR will remember the extensive gardening that we did last year just before Fran got really sick. I’ve had herb gardens growing ever since my first year at the Napa Rose Cooking School and we almost always have tomato plants growing in the spring and summer. My attempt at Zucchini and Cucumber failed miserably, but our citrus trees are coming along nicely. I am fascinated by all the things that Disney is able to do. We hope to do the Behind the Seeds sometime in the future, now that Fran is more ambulatory.

Holy Pumpkins!

Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #467
franandaj

Then we went into the fish and other live critters area. It always amazes me that they raise all these creatures and plants and put them to good use feeding guests in the park.

While Fran did get a good picture of what was in these tubes, neither of us got an actual picture of the creatures. I did see the eels and can verify that they were in there.

Back out to the greenhouse portion of the tour….

I thought this was an odd little tree.

I took this picture, not for the millet, but the for pumpkins in the background.

This sign said Nine Pound Lemons, judging from the size it doesn’t surprise me!

Again, I did not take this picture for the lemon, but for the Agave behind it….Tequila! I wonder if they make that at Disney!

Then there were these sweet potatoes hanging down here.

The little lettuce plants…

And strawberries.

And tomatoes

So I’m not quite sure what is up with this stuff, but I guess it would make the home garden more easy to manage in a small space.

These peppers looked quite nice…

I swear, I wish I could grow cucumbers like this!

Some of this would be yummy for my next stir fry, and look at the Rosemary tree in the background.

And now it’s in the foreground!

I love me some basil…. it’s about that time of year that I can get a new plant!

This was a “mixed use” area where they allow something from the fish (maybe the water) to do something to the plants (hydrate them?) I wasn’t sure what they were saying, but it was interesting to combine plant growing and fish growing.

After that we decided to leave the Land pavilion and pursue one of Fran’s favorite pastimes. Shopping! Where did we go? You’ll have to stay tuned.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #468
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I love the Land. Just love looking at all those plants.

I'm not sure about Mission Space anymore. Don't know if the boys will want to go on it...but I think I might have to try the Green line instead of the Orange.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #469
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

We didn't get to go on Mission:Space this time around. I do remember talking about it, but not sure why we didn't get on it.

Interesting. I haven't been on Soarin' at WDW and had just assumed that the queue was the same as DCA. Is that all there is, is that blue-ish looking hallway? How boring.

LwtL was the one ride I really wanted to do but couldn't because of DS's mishap. I know DM would have really enjoyed that too.

Oooh that would be so cool if they used the agave over in the Mexico pavillion!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #470
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I'll have to remember to give the new Test Track a try one of these days. I'm sad the Tron party at DL has been stopped. I love all the neon lights and sci-fi feel.

Living with the Land is one of my favorites. I love all that creative growing. I think the fish at the end fertilize the plants above.

Great update. Can't wait to see what Fran buys next

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #471
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Nice job Alison, I really like the land and going thru to see all the plants.

David and I ride the line that has the most G forces, I can't remember the color. but we try and ride it at least twice while we are there.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #472
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I am all caught up again. The weekend was pretty intense. You are the first person who has said something positive about the new Test Track. A lot of people seem to hate this.

I could never do the orange version of Mission:Space as I do suffer from motion sickness. I am OK with the green version though and love it.

I know what you mean about Soarin. This is one of the many reasons why I love coming to Disneyland. Between the generally shorter lines for Soarin and the single rider line, I can essentially do the ride as often as I want. Toy Story Mania is another one that is crazy at WDW, but quite manageable at DCA.

I have always loved Living with the Land and if Fran is up to it, I can recommend the Behind the Seeds tour. We did this a few years ago and it was amazing. By the way, the Fish poop in the tank in the last area on the ride acts as fertilizer for the lettuce.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #473
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

You'll love the pumpkins when you go in October.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #474
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

I really liked the new Test Track, I never said anything about that. I liked that it was all High Tech and sort of a dark ride with all the neon.

It looks so high tech and less mechanicy.

Soarin's line in DCA is much better. WDW's is so blah. It's one of my favorite rides.

I'm with Fran, I don't do Mission Space either. It makes me nauseous.

Are the agave plants the pineapple looking plants?

I wish I could grow cucumbers like that too. I've never been able to grow a good one. I can plant, raise, and harvest about anything else but not those.

We missed Living with the Land last trip. Even though we practically have a homestead here between our huge garden, chickens, compost, and animals, it got vetoed. Haters!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #475
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I love the Land. Just love looking at all those plants.

I'm not sure about Mission Space anymore. Don't know if the boys will want to go on it...but I think I might have to try the Green line instead of the Orange.
I've gone back and forth. I say the Orange is too intense, then I go on Green and say it's not enough. I finally told myself, "Just go on the Orange, what can it hurt?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
We didn't get to go on Mission:Space this time around. I do remember talking about it, but not sure why we didn't get on it.

Interesting. I haven't been on Soarin' at WDW and had just assumed that the queue was the same as DCA. Is that all there is, is that blue-ish looking hallway? How boring.

LwtL was the one ride I really wanted to do but couldn't because of DS's mishap. I know DM would have really enjoyed that too.

Oooh that would be so cool if they used the agave over in the Mexico pavillion!
It was only on our 2010 trip that I finally tried it and was amazed at how different and boring the queue was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I'll have to remember to give the new Test Track a try one of these days. I'm sad the Tron party at DL has been stopped. I love all the neon lights and sci-fi feel.

Living with the Land is one of my favorites. I love all that creative growing. I think the fish at the end fertilize the plants above.

Great update. Can't wait to see what Fran buys next
Evidently they make a ton of money off the young twenty somethings at the Mad Tea Party selling overpriced watered down drinks. I guess the Trol folks were too geeky and smart to spend all their money there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Nice job Alison, I really like the land and going thru to see all the plants.

David and I ride the line that has the most G forces, I can't remember the color. but we try and ride it at least twice while we are there.
That's the Orange side. I must be getting older, I didn't ride nearly as many thrill rides in quantities this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I am all caught up again. The weekend was pretty intense. You are the first person who has said something positive about the new Test Track. A lot of people seem to hate this.

I could never do the orange version of Mission:Space as I do suffer from motion sickness. I am OK with the green version though and love it.

I know what you mean about Soarin. This is one of the many reasons why I love coming to Disneyland. Between the generally shorter lines for Soarin and the single rider line, I can essentially do the ride as often as I want. Toy Story Mania is another one that is crazy at WDW, but quite manageable at DCA.

I have always loved Living with the Land and if Fran is up to it, I can recommend the Behind the Seeds tour. We did this a few years ago and it was amazing. By the way, the Fish poop in the tank in the last area on the ride acts as fertilizer for the lettuce.

Corinna
Thanks for explaining about the poop!

I prefer both the rides and the waits for TSMM and Soarin at DCA. I'm almost caught up on your TR, I've just reached where you are going to Candlelight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
You'll love the pumpkins when you go in October.
In the land or at the MK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
It looks so high tech and less mechanicy.

Soarin's line in DCA is much better. WDW's is so blah. It's one of my favorite rides.

I'm with Fran, I don't do Mission Space either. It makes me nauseous.

Are the agave plants the pineapple looking plants?

I wish I could grow cucumbers like that too. I've never been able to grow a good one. I can plant, raise, and harvest about anything else but not those.

We missed Living with the Land last trip. Even though we practically have a homestead here between our huge garden, chickens, compost, and animals, it got vetoed. Haters!
I liked the techy part of the ride. I didn't really like the whole "industrial" type feel to the old TT, the lights were on too much as far as I remembered, but it had also been a long time since I rode it. That ride was not on my "must do" list.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #476
franandaj

Our next stop was Mouse Gears. We needed to get some gloves as she did not bring a pair and I had already loaned her mine. We had the nighttime safari that evening and the heat wave from earlier in the week was long gone. Lows were dipping into the high 30’s, but definitely in the low 40’s at best. This was one of the items I looked for at Publix the previous day, but they didn’t have any. Strange, I just saw them at my local grocery store a couple days ago. So I found a cute pair of gloves with glittery Mickey Mice on them. Clearly I was the one getting the new gloves for tonight.

She also looked at this necklace and asked me if I wanted it. I declined, but she took a picture of it anyways in case we wanted to order it online or come back for it.

I don’t remember what else we bought there, but it wasn’t a lot of stuff. Oh yeah! I got these babies!

We then headed into World Showcase for our lunch reservation. The park was not that busy.

Someday, I will get up here and check out this place!

More trash can pictures…

Jolly Old England!

And we’re almost there!

We were a little early for our reservation so we walked around a bit. We checked out the new bakery. It seems to be a great improvement over the old place. It was so small and cramped and always packed. At least with the new place there is an area for people to queue up and several counters to order the food. I didn’t take any pictures inside and I would have been a weird paparazzi like stalker lady (like at Bubba Gump’s) taking pictures of people eating their food.

It was close enough to the time of our reservation, so we decided to go in and get seated.

We were seated on the far end of the restaurant and it was pretty quiet for that place when we arrived there. Our reservation was for 1PM, and the place was still fairly busy, but I think they were taking walk ups.

We perused the menu, but for me it really wasn’t necessary. I pretty much already knew what I was going to have.

[Continued in Next Post]
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #477
franandaj

We took a couple pictures waiting for our orders to be taken.

We placed our orders and the waiter brought us some bread. We asked for more butter later and it seemed you could only get butter if the waiter brought you more bread! We ended up taking two loaves of bread back to the room with us!

Soon the Maitre’ D came by with a guest.

This guy was pretty funny. He’s all, “Vould you like a peekture?” Of course we said that we would. So he posed!

This was of course the picture that we really wanted!

We both went with the three course Prix Fixe meal, but I remembered something we had for the last time that we dined here. It was so good, so I decided we should get it again.

The Alsacian Tart. Bacon, Onions and Crème Freche all on a crispy thin shell. Yummy!

Our waiter also offered to take our picture.

Fran went with the Lobster Bisque

I had the French Onion Soup.

Both were quite tasty, we shared a couple bites, but I was happy to have ordered the onion soup. It was really good!

For our entrée she got the Croque Monsieur with Salad.

I had the famed Gratin de Macaroni. It was just heavenly! I couldn’t eat the whole thing, but made sure to take it in a box. Sadly we were so stuffed this trip, I never got the second portion.

Then it was on to dessert. Essentially by ordering the package our dessert was almost free. I was planning on ordering the soup and the Macaroni anyways, so the package just seemed like a perfect deal.

We split both, but the Crème Brulee was the winner of the day. This was the strawberry and cream cake with the strawberry sorbet.

And with that we rolled out of there, completely stuffed!

We came upon this mime and acrobat show and stopped for a bit to watch. They just kept adding chairs to the stack. I think in the end there were six chairs, I swear I thought the guy was going to fall!

Where do we go next?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #478
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Has Fran ever tried closing her eyes on the bad parts of MS:Green? I have crazy bad motion sickness, but I always ride. I make it to the moon then close my eyes & let the cool air blow in my face. I never feel bad at all.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #479
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Your lunch looks delicious. Now I want to make a reservation for our next trip to have the Macaroni Cheese. So far the best Macaroni Cheese I have tasted was at Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland. Remy is so cute. We met him at Disneyland Paris a few years ago.

I love the necklace. I don't think I could have resisted it.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #480
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47
I love the necklace. I don't think I could have resisted it.
I agree!!!

Fran would have only gotten out "Do you wa..." and I would already have it in my hand at the register!!!!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: