Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Only 5 Minutes to Pack?!

I was frantically packing this morning for an overnight away from home (not WDW, sadly) and I was grumbling to myself how annoying it was to try to plan weekend clothes in a pinch. Then I asked myself ...
I wonder what I would do if I was faced with a surprise WDW trip (). What if Dfiance showed up one morning and said "We're going to WDW. You have 5 minutes to pack or we will miss our flight." After leaping in joy, I would have to make some tough and fast decisions. What would I pack? Aside from the toothbrush, clean unders and a bathing suit, what would I grab?

And it made me wonder what others would do - what others' items would make the short list? So, what would YOU grab?
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

It would never happen. Whenever I rush, I forget something important. I assume if I had a Dfiance, he'd know that about me long before he became my Dfiance.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'd just go to the bank for some cash. I can buy what ever else I need down there.

I'd grab:
  • two pair of comfortable shoes (well, one extra pair - I'd have another pair on my feet)
  • Underwear as appropriate for the length of visit, plus one extra just in case
  • Black pants/shorts
  • Shirts to go with black pants/shorts
  • Toiletry kit (always packed)
  • PAP's & TiW cards
  • Computer/iPad with charging cables
  • iPhone Charger

Of course its easy for me - I'm a guy.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
It would never happen. Whenever I rush, I forget something important. I assume if I had a Dfiance, he'd know that about me long before he became my Dfiance.

Sayhello
Not always, Tobi! Poor Brian has tried to surprise me with a getaway a couple of times. I think he has finally learned not to do that anymore!

Anyway, I would grab sunscreen, my camera, a lanyard, hat, and my comfy sandals.

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
auroralark
Lives for vacation

I need to pack from a list or I forget stuff. There is no way I'd be able to pack everything I'd need in 5 minutes. I'd probably grab clothes (jean shorts and t-shirts), underwear, my wallet, make-up and a few toiletries, and my phone. I'd forget extra shoes, pj's, my phone charger and sunscreen for sure!

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL * Little girl's first trip Sep '14 * Goin' again Sep '15
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi's Cubs View Post
Not always, Tobi! Poor Brian has tried to surprise me with a getaway a couple of times. I think he has finally learned not to do that anymore!

Anyway, I would grab sunscreen, my camera, a lanyard, hat, and my comfy sandals.

Laurie
Poor Brian! I've been known to be rushed out of the ski lodge, only to find that I'd left my skis in the now locked lodge, and the person who had the keys had gone on ahead...

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I travel a lot for work so I always have a toiletry bag ready to go and a carry-on airplane bag ready with headphones, chargers, magazines, travel cards and coupons (for hotels and airlines) etc. We also have a Disney bag we keep our extra glow items, pins, etc. I always have my purse ready with my id, wallet, iphone (which has Disney apps with hours, menus, etc and music and videos always loaded), gum, sunglasses, and first aid items. So I would grab those all those (pre-packed) bags along with my digital camera and charger, a swimsuit with cover up, a couple pairs of shorts and tees (in mixable colors that are solid black or white with one accent color like pink), my tevas, lots of underthings, 1 pair pjs, and I'd wear leggings with a versatile shirt and jacket along with black dansko sandals and a watch.

I would be able to get packed in a jiffy.

Now if I have to pack my kids too, that is a different story. If I tell them to pack, they pack stuffed animals and books We surprised them one time with a Disney trip and told them 5 minutes before we were leaving for the airport. As I thought about it, I knew I better pre-pack for them because I didn't want to end up with 50 shirts and no shorts or something like that

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16
I travel a lot for work so I always have a toiletry bag ready to go and a carry-on airplane bag ready with headphones, chargers, magazines, travel cards and coupons (for hotels and airlines) etc. We also have a Disney bag we keep our extra glow items, pins, etc. I always have my purse ready with my id, wallet, iphone (which has Disney apps with hours, menus, etc and music and videos always loaded), gum, sunglasses, and first aid items. So I would grab those all those (pre-packed) bags along with my digital camera and charger, a swimsuit with cover up, a couple pairs of shorts and tees (in mixable colors that are solid black or white with one accent color like pink), my tevas, lots of underthings, 1 pair pjs, and I'd wear leggings with a versatile shirt and jacket along with black dansko sandals and a watch.

I would be able to get packed in a jiffy.

Now if I have to pack my kids too, that is a different story. If I tell them to pack, they pack stuffed animals and books We surprised them one time with a Disney trip and told them 5 minutes before we were leaving for the airport. As I thought about it, I knew I better pre-pack for them because I didn't want to end up with 50 shirts and no shorts or something like that
Ok if the world gets overrun with zombies, I choose you to be on my team!
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to pack in five minutes. The shortest amount of time I've done it in was two hours. :-X

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

Well, some stuff for WdW always stays in our suitcases. But probably I would be yelling the whole time, "seriously, 5minutes. 15 years together and you give me 5 minutes! ". Lol.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I've got a backpack full of all the bathroom stuff/first aide stuff I use when I go to WDW so I'd grab that. My swimsuit and coverup is also in that backpack.

And I'd grab my contact lense stuff and then my bag of clothes that has all the shorts and tops I like to wear at WDW. This would work for summer - but not for winter. Winter I guess I'd just grab from my jeans and 3/4 length sleeve shirts.

I would probably forget some stuff but I'd have most of the stuff I like. Except for my sandals. I just realized I didn't put those on my grab at last second list so I would've forgotten those and that would have been bad. Nothing worse than hot feet in the summer!

It usually takes me several hours to pack and I know I'd be extra grumpy if I had less time that that to figure it out.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 02-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Wow!
THis thread is probably gonna haunt me all weekend!
I do have a "Park Fanny Pack"pretty much ready loaded to go, (yes, I AM that nerdy, goofy-looking guy with the fanny pack strapped on), and a "Tecnology Bag" with most things "Technology-ish"....but as far as anything else... Well, it'd be comical to watch me gather that junk together.
I think it took me a full day to round up stuff last trip, and I swore- well, of course I swore-to be more prepared next ime.
We'll see....about two months to go till "wheels up" to Orlando.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

passports ... who knows? maybe we get squeeze in a disney cruise!

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Elves R us
Elves R us

Just my camera and a smile !

2008 Lake Davenport Villa

2010 Hawthorn Suites Lake Buena Vista

2012 Bahama Bay Resort

E L V E S R US
Elves R us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

a few jean shorts and t-shirts, underwear and socks and toiletries are always packed so no worries there

Oddly enough we went to WDW Oct and since the weather here at home was cold when I got home the WDW stack of clothes were placed on a shelf in the closet - the joy of doing laundry before coming home from WDW. Which made packing easy when we went two weeks ago. I just picked up the stack and put them in the suitcase.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: