Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
ain0004
Mouseketeer

Why is airfare so high out of DTW these days.

We are thinking of a short trip in May. But prices are still insane.....320/person. I have hard time with this when we paid 153/person with delta in Nov. Am I missing something? I am willing to pay about 220/person. I refuse to fly with spirit, do to bad personal experiences. I can also fly out of Dayton, Columbus and Cinnci if I have to. I can find things slightly cheaper but not by much. I would much rather fly out of DTW> Yes I have looked with allegiant as well. But by the time you add you carry on, its not worth it. Any suggestion? Planes are still looking like they have more than enough seats. Should I just by my time?
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Sorry, but it's not just at DTW. It's everywhere. When automotive fuel is approaching, or surpassing, $4/gallon again, jet fuel is going to see a similar price increase. Airlines are going to pass this cost on to the customer every time. I'm not sure why fuel prices are increasing (sometimes an economy improving at even the current snail's pace can cause fuel price increases), but I'm confident that's behind most of the airlines' recent lack of discounts.

Less competition due to mergers doesn't help, but I still think fuel price volatility is the bigger culprit.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ain0004 View Post
We are thinking of a short trip in May. But prices are still insane.....320/person. I have hard time with this when we paid 153/person with delta in Nov. Am I missing something? I am willing to pay about 220/person. I refuse to fly with spirit, do to bad personal experiences. I can also fly out of Dayton, Columbus and Cinnci if I have to. I can find things slightly cheaper but not by much. I would much rather fly out of DTW> Yes I have looked with allegiant as well. But by the time you add you carry on, its not worth it. Any suggestion? Planes are still looking like they have more than enough seats. Should I just by my time?
$153 was a bonus. I haven't seen that out of PIT in ages. Closer to $300 is the norm.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

I guess it's all relative because I would love to only have to pay $320 RT to Orlando. I fly out of Tulsa and lately we can't find anything much cheaper than $500. pp, even checking OKC and Tampa airports. Now that's painful.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Maybe due to the time of the year?

Airline prices really have not increased significantly over the past 20-30 years in relation to inflation. The Bureau of Transportation Statistics tracks the changes in airfare since 1995. Check out how airfare increases in relation to annual inflation:

http://apps.bts.gov/xml/atpi/src/index.xml

While everyone's impact is personal and different, general statements on how airfares keep increasing may not be accurate for everyone; it all depends on our point of reference.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
mcraige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
Airline prices really have not increased significantly over the past 20-30 years in relation to inflation.
DW and I were talking about this recently. I think this refers to average airfare. In the past, it seems like there were always a few really cheap seats that the travel-savy seemed to find. It's these really cheap seats that seem to be a thing of the past.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraige View Post
DW and I were talking about this recently. I think this refers to average airfare. In the past, it seems like there were always a few really cheap seats that the travel-savy seemed to find. It's these really cheap seats that seem to be a thing of the past.
My personal point of reference is Tallahassee, FL. Airfares in/out of there in the 1980s and 1990s was about $800-1,000 to most destinations. High enough, where most of my friends would drive 3 hours (one way) to Jacksonville, FL for a $400-600 fare when they traveled.

Fares in TLH dropped once Airtran came in, but they still range from $400-$1,000+ depending on the time of year and day of the week. As such, I think $400 fares anywhere are great!

Of course, your reference will vary, which dictates your point of view. if you would like to see what the average airfares are out of your specific airport, the same info in at the Bureau of transportation's website:

http://apps.bts.gov/xml/atpi/src/indextop85.xml

However, I did find the chart interesting, especially when adjusted for inflation. A $373 fare in 2012 is equal to $246 in 1995, which actually isn't too bad these days. In addition, the highest average point was around the turn of the millennium (2000-2001).
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: