Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #211
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Taking the Train from Civitavecchia to Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
I don't remember any shuttles at all. I think we walked from the ship all the way to the train station, which took about 15 minutes, tops. I'm cheap.
Here is the visual on how to get from the Port of Civitavecchia to the train station and how to get there.

It's very simple. Just remember to stamp your ticket (whichever you decide to purchase).

https://sites.google.com/site/sctapp...things-to-know

I forgot to mention that you can purchase tickets in advance online, but it was not necessary. We purchased our at the newsstand inside the train station.

We also purchased the BIRG tickets so that we can use the METRO and buses.

We caught the express train into S. Pietro and walked over to the Vatican.

We hired Rome In Limo, Claudio the owner set us up with Emanuela who was our art historian guide. She was an amazing guide and got us through the entrance even forgot out tickets at the Cruise Ship. She walked up to a counter and asked them to look us up with our ID/Passports. They got our replacements and we were in.

We spent 2.5 hours in the Vatican then went over to St. Peter's Basilica. Afterwards, we took a cab over to the Colosseum and toured there as well.

Our guide walked us over three blocks and had lunch in a restaurant that was so inexpensive. Ate at the restaurant and had left-overs for 60Euros. Fed 5 of us (3 adults & 2 children) and it had drinks.

Before we left, we took the bus over to the Three Coins in the Fountain. Then, we took the hop-on-hop-off bus to tour the city really quickly before we had to get off at the Vatican and walk back to the train. We could have easily taken the bus, but it was too long.

We didn't want to miss the train. It does get crowded going back because of commuters, but it was great!. Highly recommend it.

Last edited by abayaflowers; 02-19-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add the rest of rome excursions
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #212
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

We're going to just do everything on our own. I'm confident that we can navigate the trains, etc... and I'm only planning to go out like 1/2 days or so, don't want to miss risking the ship! That would surely suck!

The only one I would be nervous about making it back would be Rome since it's so far and hectic there! We are doing Rome in our pre-cruise trip, but if not I may consider doing DCL for that one...

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #213
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

When will the excursions to Dubrovnik and Vence be posted? I would think soon?

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #214
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Dubrovnik is gorgeous! Highly recommend taking the time to do a walk on the wall around the city. Breathtaking
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #215
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
When will the excursions to Dubrovnik and Vence be posted? I would think soon?
I think the first platinum cruisers can book next week (the ship sails June 27th) so I would hope they have them up soon.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #216
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

I have been checking the port adventures daily since the ones for Greece were posted but still no luck with Venice or Dubrovnik. I am trying to plan and it is driving me nuts not knowing what is on offer!

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #217
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfreud View Post
We aren't until 2014 - but I am torn between Pisa and Cinque Terre. We went to Pisa pre-kids and I thought it was pretty amazing. Not sure if the kids (9 and 11) will have that same impact... Not sure if we can get to Pisa in the AM (basically only to see the Tower), and a bit of CT in the afternoon? At the worst, I may try to go myself in the afternoon (I have always wanted to go there) and let DH and the boys stay on board. Not sure... decisions, decisions!

Kim
2014 here too! It's just me and DH and I think we're just going to do Cinque Terre on our own.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #218
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

Yes, thanks 2013ers for letting us in on your thread! We don't have much action yet!

And you guys are soooo much closer to your trip than we are! Lucky!!!

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #219
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
2014 here too! It's just me and DH and I think we're just going to do Cinque Terre on our own.
If I read your ticker correctly, we are on the same cruise.

I'm also following the thread to get some ideas (and jealous of those going this year instead of next).
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #220
MichelleVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
If I read your ticker correctly, we are on the same cruise.

I'm also following the thread to get some ideas (and jealous of those going this year instead of next).
I'm on the May 31st cruise. I'm kind of glad I'm going next year because it's going to take forever for me to plan what I want to do!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #221
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
I'm on the May 31st cruise. I'm kind of glad I'm going next year because it's going to take forever for me to plan what I want to do!

We're on the same cruise. It's DS's college graduation gift and he needs the year to decide what he wants to see and do. I've been to Rome and Naples (courtesy of Uncle Sam) but it'll be my family's first visit. Consequently, I'm glad to have found this thread.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #222
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
Here is the visual on how to get from the Port of Civitavecchia to the train station and how to get there.

It's very simple. Just remember to stamp your ticket (whichever you decide to purchase).

https://sites.google.com/site/sctapp...things-to-know

I forgot to mention that you can purchase tickets in advance online, but it was not necessary. We purchased our at the newsstand inside the train station.

We also purchased the BIRG tickets so that we can use the METRO and buses.

We caught the express train into S. Pietro and walked over to the Vatican.

We hired Rome In Limo, Claudio the owner set us up with Emanuela who was our art historian guide. She was an amazing guide and got us through the entrance even forgot out tickets at the Cruise Ship. She walked up to a counter and asked them to look us up with our ID/Passports. They got our replacements and we were in.

We spent 2.5 hours in the Vatican then went over to St. Peter's Basilica. Afterwards, we took a cab over to the Colosseum and toured there as well.

Our guide walked us over three blocks and had lunch in a restaurant that was so inexpensive. Ate at the restaurant and had left-overs for 60Euros. Fed 5 of us (3 adults & 2 children) and it had drinks.

Before we left, we took the bus over to the Three Coins in the Fountain. Then, we took the hop-on-hop-off bus to tour the city really quickly before we had to get off at the Vatican and walk back to the train. We could have easily taken the bus, but it was too long.

We didn't want to miss the train. It does get crowded going back because of commuters, but it was great!. Highly recommend it.
Do you remember if there were taxis waiting at the Civitavecchia station on your way back?

My daughters will definitely all asleep on the train ride back, and we're thinking of cabbing it back from the train station to the dock (past the port entrance). It seems too much trouble to get to the port, then wait for a shuttle. Thanks.

Also, how do you use the BIRG tix for the metro? I've only bought metro tix (a million years ago, I think we got day cards). Do you just go through the turnstiles and slip the ticket in? Or do you have to show the tix to someone? I can't for the life of me remember how Rome metro turnstiles work... thanks!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #223
MichelleVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William

We're on the same cruise. It's DS's college graduation gift and he needs the year to decide what he wants to see and do. I've been to Rome and Naples (courtesy of Uncle Sam) but it'll be my family's first visit. Consequently, I'm glad to have found this thread.
Awesome!! My DD is graduating from college too but we are leaving her at home!! She's been to Italy before visiting her dad wage he was stationed in Germany so I've been talking to her about what we should do while we are there.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #224
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Do you remember if there were taxis waiting at the Civitavecchia station on your way back?

My daughters will definitely all asleep on the train ride back, and we're thinking of cabbing it back from the train station to the dock (past the port entrance). It seems too much trouble to get to the port, then wait for a shuttle. Thanks.

Also, how do you use the BIRG tix for the metro? I've only bought metro tix (a million years ago, I think we got day cards). Do you just go through the turnstiles and slip the ticket in? Or do you have to show the tix to someone? I can't for the life of me remember how Rome metro turnstiles work... thanks!
Yes, there were taxis, but that was in 2010. I am not sure if they have as many available and waiting at the train station.

By the way, my DD7 (at that time) slept on the train ride back. Howeer, I had to give her a piggy back to the front of the port where the buses were waiting.

As for the BIRG tickets, they are similar to the other tickets. It is important to stamp/validate the tickets in the Yellow ticket machine before getting on the train. The penalty for this is 50euros.

On the bus and metro, you will need to put it through the machine.

Just remember to have all your children use the restroom before entering the train. I don't remember any facilities on board the train that we rode back.

I hope this helps.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #225
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

If you are looking to save money, Venice isn't hard to navigate on your own. You can take a water taxi to Murano to watch glass blowing and look through the glass shops, spend time in st marks square, go to doge's palace ( they have multiple free tours), tour st marks, climb the campanile for beautiful views, catch a gondola ride and walk to the Rialto to see done of the famous bridges and shop. Water taxis are cheap and great sight seeing your. It's a fun city to wander and get lost in
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: