Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #31
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

If this is true, I will be really disappointed. And I will be staying off-site again.

From the rumors of no FD (or any discounts) to this, I am very upset. I know this is a perk, but it's a perk I expected and relied on.

If WDW does decide that they are eliminating EMH, they can eliminate my reservation as well....I'll either rent a house like we did the first two years or stay at another resort.

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWA2 View Post
What "perks", like EMH, package delivery, etc. did on-site resort guests have in the past? Or was there no real advantage of staying on-site vs off-site before?
The only real ones were complimentary transportation (not DME) and Surprise Mornings (the predecessor to AMEMH). The difference was, back then, Disney didn't face nearly the amount of offsite competition they now do. Now, many Orlando area hotels offer free shuttles and most nearby hotels will also offer guests more "value" per say. You could get the Waldorf, which is IN WDW, for $199 per night, but Disney's equivalent (GF) would run you $414 and that's with a 20% discount.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I really hope this doesn't happen. I love evening EMH.

Although I have never stayed off site in my life, recently I have considered doing so. Even so, I always end up back at Disney resorts because I am unwilling to give up the EMH.

You can't even call Disney transportation a perk because anyone can use it. AP holders can park free so that is not even an issue for me.

We will heading back to WDW in ten days and it may very well be the last time we stay on site. Unless they offer resort guests extra fastpass plus, then I won't be able to justify the extra cost.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
That's odd. Hasn't DL just started more magic mornings for the Disney hotel guests?
It's only 1 hour in the morning, none at night. I could see WDW doing that.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

With the new RFID band they may be going back to an "E-ride night" type of thing. Where they offered extended hours only to resort guests but you had to pay extra (and get a wrist band) to use those hours.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #36
heyitsmejosh
DIS Veteran

its not going anywhere people are just thinking too much about stuff
heyitsmejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
sachilles
Mouseketeer

My last visit in the 80's, by staying at the poly, we had an extra hour of access in the morning and at night.
My guess. Is there will be restructured hours,that are more predictable that net out to the same amount of hours open.
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
It's only 1 hour in the morning, none at night. I could see WDW doing that.
That's the way it was for years. You had EE at one of the four parks and E-ticket nights at MK. For me, that was the best. I was very disappointed when they did away with the e-ticket nights and replaced them with EMH, so for me, the EMH lost some of their charm right off the bat.

But as to why they may stop them and be adding more at DL (as a PP mentioned), could have to do with the sheer number of guests staying on property these days. DL has three hotels, US/IOA has three hotels - therefore their early morning hours are a real treat - the parks are empty compared to regular hours. But with the addition of AoA, all the new DVC properties (with GF coming fast), POP not too long ago...being a resort guest is not that special anymore - there are so many people on property that EMH become a nightmare in crowd control - from transportation to the crowds at the park itself. All the touring plans emphatically advise to stay away from an EMH park unless you have hoppers, and maybe at some point, someone at Disney said it's time to rethink what was once a great idea.

My only hope is that they don't just keep cutting back, but instead think in a new direction that enhances the experience.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
That's the way it was for years. You had EE at one of the four parks and E-ticket nights at MK. For me, that was the best. I was very disappointed when they did away with the e-ticket nights and replaced them with EMH, so for me, the EMH lost some of their charm right off the bat.
I totally agree. We used to stay onsite (even back when affording it was more of a stretch for us than it is now) just to be able to do E-Ticket Nights. EMH doesn't weigh into our decision to stay on or off, but if they brought back E-Ticket Nights and limited the number of tickets sold for that, that would factor into our decision.
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #40
jhaig
I'd bet you'd be hungry if we were having Tony-loaf

Money talks, and Disney guests walk - to their off-site hotel.

2007 VWL 2009 VWL 2010 POR Riverside 2011 POR Riverside 2012 CR Concierge 2014 GF
jhaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #41
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

I have absolutely no problem with them eliminating EMH if it brings the return of E-Ride nights. I've said it before and will again.....the best money I ever spent at WDW was the $10 for E-Ride nights. One E-Ride night, I rode all 3 mountains 5 consecutive times each without getting off. Although, if they brought it back now it will probably $50 per person, of course.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #42
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
I have absolutely no problem with them eliminating EMH if it brings the return of E-Ride nights. I've said it before and will again.....the best money I ever spent at WDW was the $10 for E-Ride nights. One E-Ride night, I rode all 3 mountains 5 consecutive times each without getting off. Although, if they brought it back now it will probably $50 per person, of course.
If they brought back E-Ride nights, you likely wouldn't recognize it. Just look at what they have done with attendance at the hard ticketed parties. I really don't think they could resist the urge to milk every last dollar out of it they could.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #43
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

I really enjoy both the AM & PM EMH. Although those going away by itself wouldn't make me consider going elsewhere for my vacation this is like the nail in the coffin. FP+, probably no FD and now this. SUPER. Anything else you want to limit or take away? I'm sorry but I would rather have extra time in the parks than a wristband... I do hope this is only a rumor!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #44
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall
Makes sense in light of all the money they have invested in FastPass+. Maybe they figure FastPass+ eliminates the need for EMH, saving alot in salaries.
Sadly, it makes perfect sense for them...

But that translates to "cutting hours and/or jobs from generally poor people"

That's what it is...the ugly truth. It would be nice if people accepted it and have some real blowback or something resembling a spine.

If the grand vision is higher profit, compacted park days...followed by dumps into Downtown Disney ( and make no mistake...that's the plan)...then somebody else is gonna have to tell me what that looks like.

Let it crumble to dust.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

All I know is I'm laying off trying to convince the rest of our party to stay on site for NYE until I learn more. EMH would make a HUGE difference due to the crowd levels for that trip and is a major perk for us. If it isn't there, why should they bother spending the extra money? Even with FP+, say on site does get more passes than on (which is still a LOT less than you can get on your own now if you plan right) I fail to see how that replaces EMH. It's still a crowded park.

We use them on both ends and take breaks in the middle of the day. It has saved more than one trip during peak times.
eandesmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: