Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #661
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamwigs007 View Post
There is NO resort fee if booing using Hilton Honors points
Welcome and thank you for posting that!



Happy New Year to all!

WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #662
LMO429
DIS Veteran
 
LMO429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,161

So I just priced out 7 nights at the yacht club with park hoppers for 2 adults and it wound up being roughly 4 grand for 2 adults!


with the high prices of deluxe resorts I am seriously considering the waldorf for our next trip. especially since I feel that deluxe disney rooms seriously have some major wear and tear our last couple of trips.


I think by the time I rent a car, resort fees etc it will be the same amount of $ for the week to stay at the waldorf. I was just wondering if my experience overall will be better. I am pretty much at the point now with disney deluxe resorts that I do not feel what I pay per night is what I get in return for my $. We typically go to disney 2x a year. We are no longer touring commandos and want to just have a nice vacation in a nice atmosphere. Any input would be great. Going to go and read through this thread now. thanks!
__________________

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #663
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMO429 View Post
So I just priced out 7 nights at the yacht club with park hoppers for 2 adults and it wound up being roughly 4 grand for 2 adults!


with the high prices of deluxe resorts I am seriously considering the waldorf for our next trip. especially since I feel that deluxe disney rooms seriously have some major wear and tear our last couple of trips.


I think by the time I rent a car, resort fees etc it will be the same amount of $ for the week to stay at the waldorf. I was just wondering if my experience overall will be better. I am pretty much at the point now with disney deluxe resorts that I do not feel what I pay per night is what I get in return for my $. We typically go to disney 2x a year. We are no longer touring commandos and want to just have a nice vacation in a nice atmosphere. Any input would be great. Going to go and read through this thread now. thanks!

It's a hard choice, isn't it? There is something priceless about being able to walk right to Epcot and DHS and be near so much dining and entertainment - location, location location! The WAO is at a higher level (read: nicer) than the onsite Deluxes, however, you also have to either drive or shuttle to all the parks and you lose the Disney theming.

You can easily compare prices, what's harder is putting a price on convenience and being in the middle of it all. When we stay onsite, we don't ever leave WDW. We like the illusion of feeling like we're not even near Orlando. Have you considered using a room or package discount at YC or doing a split stay where you stay at both YC and WAO?
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #664
LMO429
DIS Veteran
 
LMO429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post

It's a hard choice, isn't it? There is something priceless about being able to walk right to Epcot and DHS and be near so much dining and entertainment - location, location location! The WAO is at a higher level (read: nicer) than the onsite Deluxes, however, you also have to either drive or shuttle to all the parks and you lose the Disney theming.

You can easily compare prices, what's harder is putting a price on convenience and being in the middle of it all. When we stay onsite, we don't ever leave WDW. We like the illusion of feeling like we're not even near Orlando. Have you considered using a room or package discount at YC or doing a split stay where you stay at both YC and WAO?
While we enjoy being in the middle of it all as of late the condition of the rooms at the beach/yacht and boardwalk have been far from favorable. With each and each trip we seem to be spending more and more time back at the resort since it's less about running from ride to ride and more just about a total vacation. We do a little of everything wake up late do some rides go by the pool go to nice dinners at night etc. I have a hard time spending nearly 500 dollar a night for a disney room to have worn carpets, dented furniture just so I can be close to EPCOT. I love disney we love our semi annual trips to the world but I am just about fed up with the condition of the resort rooms and the price disney charges for them. I would have less of an issue if disney was charging 250 a night instead of 500. so I am just trying to decide if this is the trip we decide to try something different for the same amount of $.
__________________

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #665
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMO429 View Post
While we enjoy being in the middle of it all as of late the condition of the rooms at the beach/yacht and boardwalk have been far from favorable. With each and each trip we seem to be spending more and more time back at the resort since it's less about running from ride to ride and more just about a total vacation. We do a little of everything wake up late do some rides go by the pool go to nice dinners at night etc. I have a hard time spending nearly 500 dollar a night for a disney room to have worn carpets, dented furniture just so I can be close to EPCOT. I love disney we love our semi annual trips to the world but I am just about fed up with the condition of the resort rooms and the price disney charges for them. I would have less of an issue if disney was charging 250 a night instead of 500. so I am just trying to decide if this is the trip we decide to try something different for the same amount of $.
Are you applying any discounts or are these rack rates? I've stayed club level at both YC and BWI and have never paid that much. But, I was able to apply a military 40% off code to both of those reservations. There are often 35% off general public rates available for the Deluxes. There are also AP and Visa Card discounts and free dining. I'm not trying to push you in one direction, I just want you to know that there are discounts, except for around Christmas, Thanksgiving when they are usually blacked-out.

If you're pretty much looking for a resort-only vacation near WDW, then I would try WAO. I think you would be happier with the lower rate and better room condition. Try it and you can always stay onsite your next visit or you might love WAO. Happy planning!
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #666
ms mouse
DIS Veteran
 
ms mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 549

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMO429 View Post
So I just priced out 7 nights at the yacht club with park hoppers for 2 adults and it wound up being roughly 4 grand for 2 adults!


with the high prices of deluxe resorts I am seriously considering the waldorf for our next trip. especially since I feel that deluxe disney rooms seriously have some major wear and tear our last couple of trips.


I think by the time I rent a car, resort fees etc it will be the same amount of $ for the week to stay at the waldorf. I was just wondering if my experience overall will be better. I am pretty much at the point now with disney deluxe resorts that I do not feel what I pay per night is what I get in return for my $. We typically go to disney 2x a year. We are no longer touring commandos and want to just have a nice vacation in a nice atmosphere. Any input would be great. Going to go and read through this thread now. thanks!
If it were your first trip I would say say on site but for two adults I love the Waldorf. But it will feel very different. We had a room with a theme park view and we were able to see parts of every park. We were also able to watch the fireworks from our balcony. There is a charge for parking at the parks so if your going 2x a year you might consider at least one annual pass, it might work out better. Also they have very nice buses, the times are just not always good. On a couple of occasions we actually rode the bus to the park and took a cab from nearby resort.
ms mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #667
LMO429
DIS Veteran
 
LMO429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Are you applying any discounts or are these rack rates? I've stayed club level at both YC and BWI and have never paid that much. But, I was able to apply a military 40% off code to both of those reservations. There are often 35% off general public rates available for the Deluxes. There are also AP and Visa Card discounts and free dining. I'm not trying to push you in one direction, I just want you to know that there are discounts, except for around Christmas, Thanksgiving when they are usually blacked-out.

If you're pretty much looking for a resort-only vacation near WDW, then I would try WAO. I think you would be happier with the lower rate and better room condition. Try it and you can always stay onsite your next visit or you might love WAO. Happy planning!
I am looking to go during food and wine festival there are no discount at the moment
__________________

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #668
brunette8706
DIS Veteran
 
brunette8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,898

Has anyone dined at the Bull and Bear at the Waldorf? If so, how did you like it?

Thanks all!
Brunette
__________________
brunette8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #669
DCampbell
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14

Has anyone been to the chocolate tasting on various Friday nights at the hotel?
DCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #670
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,186

From AllEars

Enjoy the perfect mommy/daughter Disney day at Waldorf Astoria Orlando's Royal Tea for only $30 per adult and $15 per child. The Royal Tea is available on Sunday afternoons in February from 3-5pm. For reservations, call 407-597-5409.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #671
disadventurer
DIS Veteran
 
disadventurer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 672

Is that Mother/Daughter Tea available in March? Is is strictly Mother/Daughter?
Thanks in advance. My DD will be 21 on Easter Sunday, and she loved the Disney version.
__________________
disadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #672
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by disadventurer View Post
Is that Mother/Daughter Tea available in March? Is is strictly Mother/Daughter?
Thanks in advance. My DD will be 21 on Easter Sunday, and she loved the Disney version.
I think that would be so cute for your DD's birthday, but It seems to only be in February, but you could give them a call to see if they have anything special planned for March.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #673
Rileyf
Earning My Ears
 
Rileyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMO429 View Post
While we enjoy being in the middle of it all as of late the condition of the rooms at the beach/yacht and boardwalk have been far from favorable. With each and each trip we seem to be spending more and more time back at the resort since it's less about running from ride to ride and more just about a total vacation. We do a little of everything wake up late do some rides go by the pool go to nice dinners at night etc. I have a hard time spending nearly 500 dollar a night for a disney room to have worn carpets, dented furniture just so I can be close to EPCOT. I love disney we love our semi annual trips to the world but I am just about fed up with the condition of the resort rooms and the price disney charges for them. I would have less of an issue if disney was charging 250 a night instead of 500. so I am just trying to decide if this is the trip we decide to try something different for the same amount of $.
I have to agree with you on the condition of the rooms at WDW. They keep raising the prices, but they are not keeping up the resorts. I just priced out the Waldorf a SV room is only 218.00 a night that is cheaper than our YC garden view room with the 35% off AP rate. I would not want to spend all 12 nights at the Waldorf, but I am starting to think split stay. I might book a couple of nights at the Waldorf just to try it out. My kids love the pool activities at the Disney resorts, but if I can't get a good price on a Disney resort I am not against going offsite. The value and moderates don't interest me. I need a gym and I need good food. Our next trip after this May won't be until Fall of 2014 so I am happy to see there are some good options just in case I can't get a good discount from Disney.
Rileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #674
viluvsdisney
DIS Veteran
 
viluvsdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 742

Just Returned From Hilton Bonnet Creek...

Pros - It's a very nice convention hotel. The rooms are a good size. The beds are very comfortable. The pool is beautiful. Parking is easy but it's pricey. Room service has a good breakfast. Housekeeping is attentive. Great TV selection of channels.

Cons - there's a funny perfume scent in the lobby all the time. The hotel (even though in Disney's area) feels very remote. More so than the other "off property" hotels (even with the Disney view). Coffee at the coffee shop not so great. People fly through the parking garage at a ridiculously fast speed. Not a fan of the open air bar in the center of the lobby - had a strange vibe to it.

All in all - it was a nice stay. I think I prefer the S&D over this one. But I would be fine if I were to stay there again.
__________________
Love My Cavachon Dogs
viluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #675
kweinva
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1

Shuttle Time and (in)convenience

I just stumbled upon the Waldorf and am seriously considering it but can’t seem to find any good info or reviews on how well its shuttle system works or how inconvenient it really is.

This would be early September (a low crowd time I think?). How long did it take to get to MK, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom (to the gate)? How efficient was it and especially how easy it is to get back to the hotel for a midday break and/or back at night.

We were planning to stay at Polynesian until I found WA and want to figure out the trade-off. We probably will not rent a car but will just taxi on our Universal Islands of Adv day.
kweinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A DISers Book Club! splashmountain86 The DIS Unplugged Podcast 839 02-21-2012 09:14 PM
Booking Online Via Quidco baby_belle Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board 16 09-25-2009 08:47 AM
Pressed Penny books, where to buy? ScrappyRN Disney World Tips 7 08-21-2009 08:50 AM
Disney Autograph Books scard192 Disney for Families 1 08-20-2009 04:42 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.