Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 563 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1906
Disney grandma
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen any posts about this but could have missed it. Has anyone stayed in the Swan executive suite that has the king pull out sofa bed. I am wondering if it is comfortable and if the room is much larger than a regular room. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #1907
MiamiMere
Mouseketeer

Also wondering if anyone has tips for eating on a budget with 2 young kids at the dolphin. I just can't do the $8 hotdog kids meals that I am seeing on some of these menus. That seems so outrageous to me!

I think we are going to splurge one night and do the southern barbeque at the Garden Grove. My 3 year old will love to see the characters. Do I need an ADR for this?

Other than that, I don't have any plans and I am not very familiar with this hotel yet or the boardwalk area. Although, I do plan on checking out Beaches & Cream as I LOVE root beer floats

Thanks all!!!

2013 - Dolphin
2011 - AKL
2001 - Grand Floridian (Executive Disney Program)
1997 - Off-site (Marched in Disney parade)

(7) (3)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #1908
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMere
Whew...made it through all 190 pages of this thread!!! Lots of good information. We are going to the Dolphin in May.... I have a random question. Do people swim in the lake by the beach/playground? I didn't see lifeguards so I wasn't sure if the beach was just for hanging out or people actually get in the water. Not that I would have any desire with the thought of a fresh water alligator or snake...YIKES! I just wondered...

Thanks!
No swimming, but you can take a Swan boat and pedal around the lake! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #1909
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMere View Post
Also wondering if anyone has tips for eating on a budget with 2 young kids at the dolphin. I just can't do the $8 hotdog kids meals that I am seeing on some of these menus. That seems so outrageous to me!

I think we are going to splurge one night and do the southern barbeque at the Garden Grove. My 3 year old will love to see the characters. Do I need an ADR for this?

Other than that, I don't have any plans and I am not very familiar with this hotel yet or the boardwalk area. Although, I do plan on checking out Beaches & Cream as I LOVE root beer floats

Thanks all!!!
Watch Restaurant.com! I got a few Garden Grove $25 gift certificates for $3 last year!!!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #1910
ckelly14
Lurker

Peakabu downstairs in the dolphin has a cafeteria set up and has cheaper (but not cheap) carry out food- good for traveling with kids. Buy a refillable mug for free coffee and soda refills during your stay.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #1911
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMere View Post

Portions at Picabu are huge! I haven't seen the kids meals, though, but you might be able to split an adult meal between you and your kids. Showing your AAA card gets you a 20% discount there as well (AAA discount is also valid at Fresh, The Fountain, and I think Garden Grove as well.)

Also, if you are staying multiple days, you can opt in to their program to decline housekeeping. For each day you decline housekeeping service (up to 3 consecutive days) they'll slip a little card under your door that's good for either 500 starpoints or $5 off a food/beverage purchase. If you don't care about the starpoints, take the $5 discount.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #1912
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Keep in mind there is a 13% service charge added to your bill at Picabu. It does not prevent me from eating there, but just be aware of it.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #1913
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

Does anyone know the answer to this strange question? lol

Can I be registered into and hold a room key in both a Swan/Dolphin room and a WDW Resort room for the same dates? I know that I cannot hold a room key to 2 WDW Resort rooms for the same dates, but am curious to know if WDW and Sheraton have a cross check between them that would prevent this.

If I use my points to go over and stay at the Dolphin once DD and family join my DVC reservation at BCV, it would be soooo much easier for me to have access to their room and pool to help watch and nap with the grandkids. We would still be within the allowed # of guests for the room at BCV

Anyone ever do this?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #1914
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom View Post

Can I be registered into and hold a room key in both a Swan/Dolphin room and a WDW Resort room for the same dates? I know that I cannot hold a room key to 2 WDW Resort rooms for the same dates, but am curious to know if WDW and Sheraton have a cross check between them that would prevent this.

If I use my points to go over and stay at the Dolphin once DD and family join my DVC reservation at BCV, it would be soooo much easier for me to have access to their room and pool to help watch and nap with the grandkids. We would still be within the allowed # of guests for the room at BCV

Anyone ever do this?
I have! Kept a room at WDW while staying 2 nights at Dolphin in the middle of the WDW stay! I booked the WDW resort through Disney and the Dolphin through SPG and those 2 systems do not cross-check!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #1915
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom View Post

First, there is no checking between Starwood (the parent of the Swan/Dolphin) and Disney on reservations - so no issue here.

Second, even within Disney its perfectly fine for you to book two rooms (even at different resorts) for the same dates. People with large families do this all the time.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #1916
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Can I see Stacey and the other WDW resort information channels while I'm at the Dolphin?!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #1917
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

I was trying to book March 2-6 2014. The rates at the Swan are reallly high. Don't they come down some for AAA and such?

thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #1918
phillytwins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
Can I see Stacey and the other WDW resort information channels while I'm at the Dolphin?!
We just got back and the "Stacey channel" was not working the whole time we were there. It was complete static. The maintenance guy said that it's up to Disney whether or not the station comes in at the Swan/Dolphin. However, the first two times we went, the station did work.

So, I don't think you should get your hopes up. Sorry!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #1919
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
I was trying to book March 2-6 2014. The rates at the Swan are reallly high. Don't they come down some for AAA and such?

thanks
Check Expedia or Travelocity...they have the best rates on non-Disney owned hotels...and sometimes Disney hotels too!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #1920
LexiC123
on this, our spaceship earth
makes me want to jab candy canes into my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post

thanks
They will...it just looks like they haven't loaded the AAA rates for 2014 yet.

You can always book something and have the rate adjusted when it goes lower, or you can check back later in the spring/early summer to see what comes up.
WDW: 6/72 offsite.....5/93 offsite.....10/94 OKW.....11/95 BC.....10/96 BWV.....10/97 BC.....3/98 CBR.....10/98 WL.....5/99 YC & GF.....8/99 DI (now SSR).....9/99 CR.....3/00 BC.....4/00 YC.....8/00 Poly.....4/01 BC.....7/01 YC.....8/02 BC.....9/09 Dolphin.....9/10 Swan.....10/11 Swan & Dolphin.....4/13 Swan & BC.....
12/14 Swan

DL: 3/71 offsite.....6/98 Pacific Hotel (now Paradise Pier).....12/00 Disneyland Hotel
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: