Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

Transportation from Sanford

Hi all!

Next February I am taking a group of girls down to Disney for a dance competition. We're kicking around a couple ideas for flights. We could leave out of our local airport. But the only direct flights fly into Sanford. I was wondering if anyone would know the cost of transportation for say a large van from Sanford to Disney?

Our other option is to fly out of Philadelphia and just go through Magical express. If we did that, I would find a local company to get us to Philadelphia airport as a group.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansyr2514 View Post
Hi all!

Next February I am taking a group of girls down to Disney for a dance competition. We're kicking around a couple ideas for flights. We could leave out of our local airport. But the only direct flights fly into Sanford. I was wondering if anyone would know the cost of transportation for say a large van from Sanford to Disney?

Our other option is to fly out of Philadelphia and just go through Magical express. If we did that, I would find a local company to get us to Philadelphia airport as a group.

Thanks
A 10-passenger van will run about $250 plus tip, round trip, between Sanford and Disney.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

Thanks!!! Any recommendations for which company to use if we decide that is the best course of action?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing you're considering using Allegiant Air out of Lehigh Valley? First, let me say, I have flown Allegiant both from Lehigh Valley and Wilkes-Barre Scranton and had good experiences both times. However, that said.....keep in mind...they do not fly every day of the week from either airport. Also, given the fact that they don't fly every day could present a huge problem for you, especially in February if a flight is cancelled/postponed due to weather related issues. Sometimes their prices can't be beat.....again.....keep in mind they DO charge for everything......carry-on bags, checked bags, assigned seats, even the beverages they serve you on the 2 hour flight......so when totalled....along with the cost of transportation from Sanford....you might be better off flying from PHL directly to MCO. Not trying to say you shouldn't go that route.....as I said we've used them a few times w/o any issues, had enjoyable flights and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.....however, it's only my husband and myself.....we travel lightly with a carry-on only and don't worry about assigned seating so when we get a great deal from them it's wonderful for us and so far, we haven't had a flight cancelled....although I have heard stories from people who have and it can ruin a vacation if you can't get another flight for three days. Good luck with your planning and hope you have a great trip!
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaL View Post
I'm guessing you're considering using Allegiant Air out of Lehigh Valley? First, let me say, I have flown Allegiant both from Lehigh Valley and Wilkes-Barre Scranton and had good experiences both times. However, that said.....keep in mind...they do not fly every day of the week from either airport. Also, given the fact that they don't fly every day could present a huge problem for you, especially in February if a flight is cancelled/postponed due to weather related issues. Sometimes their prices can't be beat.....again.....keep in mind they DO charge for everything......carry-on bags, checked bags, assigned seats, even the beverages they serve you on the 2 hour flight......so when totalled....along with the cost of transportation from Sanford....you might be better off flying from PHL directly to MCO. Not trying to say you shouldn't go that route.....as I said we've used them a few times w/o any issues, had enjoyable flights and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.....however, it's only my husband and myself.....we travel lightly with a carry-on only and don't worry about assigned seating so when we get a great deal from them it's wonderful for us and so far, we haven't had a flight cancelled....although I have heard stories from people who have and it can ruin a vacation if you can't get another flight for three days. Good luck with your planning and hope you have a great trip!
Have to agree. I love flying into Sanford even though it means renting a car to get to WDW. BUT..the vast majority of airlines that fly in there are smaller airlines that aren't going to be able to get you on a substitute flight if something happens to your original flight!! You could be stuck for days until the next flight is available.
If you are going to have to pay at some point, I would recommend going to Philly and finding a company to get you there and back. If something happens weather wise, at least there are many, many flights out of there that you can get on if you have an issue!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

OP have you looked into fly into Tampa? the flight prices are lower than MCO.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: