Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #91
mpeanut
Mouseketeer

subscribing.
I'm excited to read about your journey!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #92
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

I guess I shouldn't have talked bad about my treadmill earlier this week. Thursday's 3 mile run on it was cut short because the belt had slid over and was starting to bumpt the side of the treadmill. From experience, I know that's not good as I lost a belt on a good treadmill to that before.

After losing over a mile and a half of my Thursday run and spending the entire week relegated to the treadmill because of the weather, I was eager to get out for today's 11 mile run. My goal was no mile over 9 minutes. For the most part I hit that goal. My average pace was 8:56 and only one mile (number 6) exceeded the 9 minute mark (9:06). The crappy part was the cold weather and rain was still here. I like the cold, but mixed with rain isn't a fun running combo. By the end of the run, my clothes, shoes, and hat were soaked.

I'm glad I finished it though. I rewarded myself with a small portion of house fried rice, teriyaki chicken and wonton soup at my favorite Chinese restaurant.

I don't think I mentioned this, but I started counting calories and paying closer attention to my food intake almost 3 weeks ago. I had gained 15 pounds while training for the WDW marathon. Gaining weight while logging the miles I was should never happen. My eating habits had just gotten really bad.

I'm happy to say, I've dropped 7lbs. in less than 3 weeks since I started doing this.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #93
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
I guess I shouldn't have talked bad about my treadmill earlier this week. Thursday's 3 mile run on it was cut short because the belt had slid over and was starting to bumpt the side of the treadmill. From experience, I know that's not good as I lost a belt on a good treadmill to that before.

After losing over a mile and a half of my Thursday run and spending the entire week relegated to the treadmill because of the weather, I was eager to get out for today's 11 mile run. My goal was no mile over 9 minutes. For the most part I hit that goal. My average pace was 8:56 and only one mile (number 6) exceeded the 9 minute mark (9:06). The crappy part was the cold weather and rain was still here. I like the cold, but mixed with rain isn't a fun running combo. By the end of the run, my clothes, shoes, and hat were soaked.

I'm glad I finished it though. I rewarded myself with a small portion of house fried rice, teriyaki chicken and wonton soup at my favorite Chinese restaurant.

I don't think I mentioned this, but I started counting calories and paying closer attention to my food intake almost 3 weeks ago. I had gained 15 pounds while training for the WDW marathon. Gaining weight while logging the miles I was should never happen. My eating habits had just gotten really bad.

I'm happy to say, I've dropped 7lbs. in less than 3 weeks since I started doing this.
Great job on the weight loss, Drag! Sorry about the yucky weather! Hopefully you'll be back outside soon for your runs!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #94
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

I had a nice 3.2 mile run this morning with DW. I'm so proud of her. She's losing weight again and killing it on her runs lately. The same woman who told me 1 1/2 years ago that she would never run is now running 20 miles per week and has her long runs up to 7 miles. She just told me 2 months ago that she didn't think she would ever want to run more than 4 miles. She's pushed herself and is now working on a better pace without killing herself. She used to push so hard to get a 10mm. She decided to slow herself down to a 10:30mm and has not only gone further than ever before, but now she's doing her short runs at the pace she always wanted to and not feeling dead afterwards.

I know this is my story, but I can't help but brag for her. I'm so proud of her and it's great to have a running partner like that.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #95
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
I had a nice 3.2 mile run this morning with DW. I'm so proud of her. She's losing weight again and killing it on her runs lately. The same woman who told me 1 1/2 years ago that she would never run is now running 20 miles per week and has her long runs up to 7 miles. She just told me 2 months ago that she didn't think she would ever want to run more than 4 miles. She's pushed herself and is now working on a better pace without killing herself. She used to push so hard to get a 10mm. She decided to slow herself down to a 10:30mm and has not only gone further than ever before, but now she's doing her short runs at the pace she always wanted to and not feeling dead afterwards.

I know this is my story, but I can't help but brag for her. I'm so proud of her and it's great to have a running partner like that.
WOW that is so great! Congrats to your DW! I swear I don't think I'll ever be that quick but I am down to a sub 15mm. I had a PR on yesterdays run. 2 miles and the first at 14:28 and the 2nd at 14:48. So that wasn't much but I was pretty proud!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #96
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
WOW that is so great! Congrats to your DW! I swear I don't think I'll ever be that quick but I am down to a sub 15mm. I had a PR on yesterdays run. 2 miles and the first at 14:28 and the 2nd at 14:48. So that wasn't much but I was pretty proud!
You keep at it Dez! You'll get there!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #97
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

So the rain moved back in and settled down for awhile. We've gotten almost 2 feet of rain in the past few weeks. That is not a typo, 2 feet! Saturday offered no relief so I had to do my last long run before my half this weekend on the treadmill. Since mine is still messed up, DW and I went to my dad's house to run. He has 2 really nice treadmills in his personal gym. He also has a tv and dvd player so we brought Christmas Vacation to watch while we run. Even though I hate running on the treadmill, it wasn't too terribly bad of a run considering it was a 12 miler! DW did 7 herself so it was a good day for running considering the weather.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #98
adkkev
hiking fool

Quote:
So the rain moved back in and settled down for awhile. We've gotten almost 2 feet of rain in the past few weeks. That is not a typo, 2 feet! Saturday offered no relief so I had to do my last long run before my half this weekend on the treadmill. Since mine is still messed up, DW and I went to my dad's house to run. He has 2 really nice treadmills in his personal gym. He also has a tv and dvd player so we brought Christmas Vacation to watch while we run. Even though I hate running on the treadmill, it wasn't too terribly bad of a run considering it was a 12 miler! DW did 7 herself so it was a good day for running considering the weather.
You deserve a gold star for running 12 miles on a treadmill ... seriously.
adkkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #99
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkkev View Post
You deserve a gold star for running 12 miles on a treadmill ... seriously.
3 miles into it, I looked over at my wife who was running on the treadmill next to me and said, this sucks! I'll get up and run before church tomorrow morning (rain was supposed to have moved out by then) rather than keep doing this. I decided against that since we have to be at church so early, but I pushed through. haha.

I've done some longer runs before on the treadmill, but they were usually at my house when no one else was there so I had the surround sound and an action movie on to keep me interested.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #100
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

After more than a week of treadmill running because of rain, rain and more rain, it was nice to get out this morning for my 3 mile run. I usually look forward to a taper week; however I wish I would have needed to run more today. Enjoyed my run with DW. As always when I run with her, she sets the pace and she pushed it hard today. We had a nice run together and I look forward to our 2 mile run tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #101
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Saturday's race was one of the funnest things I've ever done as a runner! I finished the Albany Half-Marathon with a new PR. I demolished my previous race and non-race PR's! My previous race PR was 2:10 and my non race PR was 1:57.34. I ran Saturday's race in 1:56.23 which was good enough for 148th place overall, 105th in the men's division and 5th in my age group!

I was so happy for my results, but the coolest thing was a guy asked me at mile 7 if he was on pace to finish under 2 hours. I told him yes because I was currently on pace to finish in around 1:55. He said good. It was his first race of any kind and he didn't have a watch to even know how long he'd been running. I offered to pace him for the rest of the race if he could keep up or I didn't slow him down. I promised him if he stayed with me, he'd finish in under 2 hours.

As we're running he proceeds to tell me his story how he just started running 3 months ago and only decided to run this half 3 weeks ago to challenge himself. He had some personal issues that lead to a desire for a major life change so he started running.

He then told me he had never ran more than 10 miles and only did that the Tuesday before the race! He pushed himself through the rest of the race and I kept trying to talk to him and offer encouragement. When we finally turned the last corner (and coincidentally passed the 13 mile marker), we could see the finish line. I asked him if he had anything left for a final kick. He said "GO!" and we did. His kick had just a little more than mine and he crossed the finish line a few seconds before me.

We both PR'd. He commented to me during one of the tougher stretches how he knew God had put me on that course just for him that day. He said he would have struggled to finish and possibly wouldn't have if I hadn't encouraged him and helped him. I knew exactly what he meant. I feel that God has blessed me with exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it, even if it wasn't how I envisioned things or the time I though it should have happened.

This guy said I encouraged him, but he has no idea what he meant to me that day. He pushed me, the runner of over 2 years. After we both crossed the finish line, I heard him yelling, "Hey, where's my running buddy?" I caught up with him and gave him a quick hug and congratulated him on his finish! He thanked me and we both went on our way.

It was a great ending to a fun race. It's my first distance race that didn't end in pain. I was certainly thankful for that!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #102
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Sorry. I was incorrect about my age group placing. I placed 14th in my age group, not 5th. When I looked before, I didn't realize I could sort by age group and did it manually, but missed a page. Wasn't trying to mislead anyone. Heck, I'm happy with 14th! hahaha.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #103
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

I was eager to go out this morning with DW for a short 3.25 mile run. It was my first run since the half and her 2nd attempt at a first run since her personal best 10 miler Friday. She tried to go out Sunday for a short run, but didn't make it very far before her leg started hurting. She was a little anxious to see how it would respond today. I told her to set the pace and I'd just tag along, which is how we usually do since I run at about 1:00-1:30mm faster than her usually. She said she felt good and we ended up running the 3.25 miles faster than she normally runs it. She said her leg was a little sore at the very start and just before we finished, but overall she felt good. I did too. I'm so thankful she and I can share our running experiences together. I truly believe it has drawn us closer these past 2 years we've been running together.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #104
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
I was eager to go out this morning with DW for a short 3.25 mile run. It was my first run since the half and her 2nd attempt at a first run since her personal best 10 miler Friday. She tried to go out Sunday for a short run, but didn't make it very far before her leg started hurting. She was a little anxious to see how it would respond today. I told her to set the pace and I'd just tag along, which is how we usually do since I run at about 1:00-1:30mm faster than her usually. She said she felt good and we ended up running the 3.25 miles faster than she normally runs it. She said her leg was a little sore at the very start and just before we finished, but overall she felt good. I did too. I'm so thankful she and I can share our running experiences together. I truly believe it has drawn us closer these past 2 years we've been running together.
That is so awesome! I'm glad her leg is feeling better too.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #105
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Today's run sucked. It wasn't because of how I felt or anything, but I was going to do a 5 mile run with DW. As we headed out, the wind was extremely strong and cold. It cut right through every stitch of clothes we were wearing. My ears were ice cold. It was only 37 out, but felt much, much colder. We literally had to fight uphill at one point the wind was so strong. We finally turned around after less than 1.25 miles and only did 2.27 of the planned 5 miles. We were both disappointed. I am running in a 5k next weekend and then another the following weekend so I have to get myself into speed mode in a short time. I plan on doing a few timed 5k runs to push myself on pace over the next week before the 5k's.

DD11 had her first middle school track meet yesterday. She's very slow and inexperienced at running so they put her doing the mile. I told her before she went to report for the race that she should run no matter what. No matter how slow she had to go, don't walk. Just run. She did just that. She was still on the track with about 1/2 lap to go when the last runner crossed the finish line, but many of her teamates met her and ran on the infield alongside her cheering her on. When she turned the corner to the straightaway for the final 100m, her team was sitting in that section of the bleachers and cheered her on like she was about to win the race. She kicked it and finished the race strong.

DW and I were nearly in tears seeing how her teamates responded to her. It was so amazing to witness that. She may have finished dead last, but I couldn't be more proud of my baby for finishing and never quitting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: