Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #46
FlowerMouse
1st time Disney cruiser

Fyi - if you spray a bug with hair spray, it prevents it from moving and you can get a good picture of it.

My son is a bug hobbyist. If you need help identifying.

Last edited by FlowerMouse; 02-18-2013 at 11:13 PM.
FlowerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #47
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

My sister uses hair spray for spiders. Then she gets them.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #48
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
My sister uses hair spray for spiders. Then she gets them.
I've got a cat for that. Taught her to get spiders. If she plays with them for too long around me then I kill them!
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #49
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Aww poor spiders!!!! What harm do they do? Unless they are the poisonous variety, in which case, I guess you would not be letting your cat play with them!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #50
natmom
Mouseketeer

Oh boy we are in cabin 7624 in may, now I'm freaking out. First cruise for us. What are the chances bed bugs would travel that far to that room? I assume disney would spray right after a complaint??

I feel bad for you that your trip was less than magical.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #51
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
Oh boy we are in cabin 7624 in may, now I'm freaking out. First cruise for us. What are the chances bed bugs would travel that far to that room? I assume disney would spray right after a complaint??

I feel bad for you that your trip was less than magical.
It's been my understanding that spraying doesn't get rid of bed bugs, and that's why they're so difficult to get rid of. High heat I think is the best thing.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #52
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Being in the hospitality industry bedbugs have become a nightmare for lodging companies. If it was found just in one room and not the entire ship it was likely that it was brought in my the prior guest. I am not saying DCL should not have done more but hospitality owners are doing all they can with this issue. In actuality DCL did nothing wrong. Most of the come from those who have traveled to the middle east however it is not just lodging. The large Nike store in NYC was closed down for a week because of a new shippment of clothes that came in with BB in them and it got through the store. The one BB could have been brought in by the previous guest's purchases on a shore excursions. I know facilities have procedures to detect/prevent but right now it is an uphill battle.
While creepy they are not toxic and have not caused illness like a flu going through the ship again brought on my a guest.
Also the ships do not operate under US laws so "sueing" for an issue like this one is not going to work.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #53
carpenta
DIS Veteran

they could have attached themselves (bedbugs) to your luggage on the way to the port if in contact with other suitcases. It is recommended that you use a hard sided luggage rather than that woven material type luggage that most of us use. Also some sights recommend using the luggage folding stand or placing your luggage in the bath tub.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #54
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Our last trip to WDW was very disappointing due to multiple ride break downs (not scheduled rehabs) and we left feeling like Disney was really going downhill. I emailed and very calmly explained how many many magical trips we had had and how this was a splurge vacation for us (cruise and parks) and that my husband said it would be a long time before we came back to the parks. I also stated that I understood that Disney had high standards and felt like they would want to know if a customer was dissatisfied. I never said that I expected anything in return. Within one week, I received a call from a CM who asked a few questions, said he had verified the trouble we had experienced, apologized profusely, and bent over backwards to make it right. He turned a very negative experience into a very magical experience. I told him that this is why we keep coming back...because Disney does care about its customers. I would email and explain your situation. At the very least, it made me feel better to get it off my chest. At the best, someone may turn your unhappy situation into a magical one! Sorry for your trouble!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #55
cmarquardt
Earning My Ears

Bed bugs aaaaagghhhh!!

My hubby, g/daughter and I will be on the Dream the first of April. First time cruisers. I always worry about that kind of stuff when we travel and FREAKED when I read this! I did buy a plastic mattress covering to bring with as well as bacterial wipes. I always check the usual spots that bed bugs congregate as well as wiping the bathroom, door knobs, etc. down. I know I sound a bit OCD...but better safe than sorry. Gosh....I thought Disney would be more attentive to your problem. Sad that you had to deal with this. Carla
cmarquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #56
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I am a complete freak when it comes to bugs. If I would of found a bedbug in my room I would of made a huge scene if they did not do anything right way and there is NO way I would of stayed in that room. I love Disney as well and have been a Disney pass member, Fl resident and go only on Disney cruises as well but that is completely unacceptable how they treated you! Chances are if it actually was a bedbug you will probably bring them into your home. They do not just stay in beds, they latch on to everything! Plus it is VERY expensive and time consuming to get rid of! I would make sure to contact Disney so they can understand how upset you are and make it clear it was identified as a bedbug because they will spread through the ship VERY fast if not taken care of!

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #57
natmom
Mouseketeer

I am just soooooo freaked out now . What do you suppose their procedure is to get rid of them?
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #58
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Our local library has had two branches shut down in the last week because of bedbugs. They are treating the libraries with high temperatures (over 120 degrees) and they burned the books that were left in one of the book drops that had bedbugs. They are in the children's section of the other library. I guess the little buggers like to live in the spines of the books so keep an eye out for them!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #59
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmom View Post
I am just soooooo freaked out now . What do you suppose their procedure is to get rid of them?
The only thing that has proven to work, is heat. Spraying does not work.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #60
akeogh
Earning My Ears

Bedbugs....or lice?

A thought occurred to me that perhaps what you saw was lice, instead of a bed bug. There are subtle differences, but the fact that you found it attached to the pillow makes me think it got there from the head of a previous passenger (and somehow managed to cling on during the laundry). I would do head checks on your children to make sure they don't now have lice. I'm so sorry you have had this happen to you.
akeogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: