Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
rachallyy
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas! While still a work in progress, here is the tentative plan after reviewing easywdw.com's crowd calendar and others:

Oh and I discussed the tickets with the DW agent, who says you pay more for the park tickets the first few days so the two added ones amount to only 10.85/person. To me that is worth it IF we decide to use them.

5/23: arrive afternoon hopefully free to explore by 6?....plan HS

5/24: MK

5/25: MK

5/26: AK

5/27: Either EP or back to HS, then DTD

5/28: MK possibly....departure around noonish I think

I've booked the resort, tickets and airfare through WDW, so far a good experience. Def. doing the photopass, saying no to the DP.

Now.....to book ADRs and character dining
rachallyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #17
sammons70
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachallyy
Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas! While still a work in progress, here is the tentative plan after reviewing easywdw.com's crowd calendar and others:

Oh and I discussed the tickets with the DW agent, who says you pay more for the park tickets the first few days so the two added ones amount to only 10.85/person. To me that is worth it IF we decide to use them.

I've booked the resort, tickets and airfare through WDW, so far a good experience. Def. doing the photopass, saying no to the DP.

So glad you made some decisions. I see you are considering more time for parks. I think that is wise. Have a fun trip
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
DisNikki
Mouseketeer

We'll be there at the same time - staying 5/24-6/3 at Coronado Springs!

First, have your boys read through a guidebook made for kids like Birnbaum's for kids (check it out at the library or buy it). They describe the rides really well in kid terms. Have them write down or circle the rides that look exciting to them. If you or they are not sure about certain rides you can watch videos on youtube for most if not all the rides. If you can narrow it down to your top 5 or so rides or shows in each park then you can be sure to hit those!

5/23 - I'm not sure how long your travel day is but since you're arriving in the evening I'd suggest just hanging out at your resort, checking out the pool and getting a good night's sleep.

5/24 - MK seems like a great park to start your trip off with! Be sure to get there early! Watch the opening show Hit your "must do" rides first, especially if they're any of the most popular ones. If you arrive early you can definitely take a mid-day break to return to your resort for some down time in the room or pool. Then go back to MK for more rides and, depending on how late you want to stay, MSEP and fireworks.

5/25 - I would actually do Epcot on this day. I know you're not sure about doing it at all but I think it would be a great park for you guys! For one, you could sleep in, because you're not aiming to do Epcot's more popular rides like Test Track or Soarin you could get there later in the morning and not "miss out" on anything. Do the boys like Phineas and Ferb? You could do one or more of the P&F missions in World Showcase (we love these!). You could also have them do the passports and visit the Kidcot stations to have them stamped, do a craft, learn a little about each country. For non-thrill seekers it's great! Then there are the tamer rides and shows like Nemo and Turtle Talk and Living with the Land. This is another area where a guide book would help you get familiar with what each offers!

5/26 - Animal Kingdom. I'd say get there early again because AK feels hotter than the other parks so enjoying the "cooler" AM temps would be to your advantage. Plus you can squeeze in more shows which would seem to appeal to your family. Be sure to read the descriptions of all the shows as things like Tough to be a Bug can be scary for some kids.

5/27 - I'd say to go to Hollywood Studios on this day. I think there's a lot for non-thrill seeking kids (would one or both like Jedi Training Academy? Toy Story? Lights Motors Action?). You could also do DTD in the evening if you aren't up for staying for Fantasmic.

5/28 - You're leaving around noon so I'd say spend your last morning at Magic Kingdom.

I know I'm cutting out a lot of your MK time so I'd suggest, if it's financially feasible, cutting your tickets down to 5 days but adding the park hoppers. Then you could hop to MK after EP, HS, etc. to get some more time there. There are just as many people who love the hoppers as those who say there's no need so you'll just have to guesstimate what would be best for you. Of course you could add the park hopping option after you arrive too if you discover you need it...

Just some ideas...feel free to take some, all or none as you wish!

- Several trips as a child (off-site, Poly twice)
- 3/26-4/3/11 with FIL, BIL and his family - a total of 9 people! Stayed off-site at Orange Lake North Village
- Planning a trip for 5/24-6/3/2013, staying at CSR

DisNikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
mommy2jack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachallyy View Post

We are there the same time as you!! Only we have one extra day.

No park hoppers for us either . We don't see the value of it and I like to be at the park from open to close when possible! Which is why we also try to plan one 'break' day in to our plans.

Your plan sounds good though. But you might get worn out by the end. Might want to give yourself some resort 'down' time on one day (just my suggestion! All depends on your kids and touring style.)

We are doing...

5/22 Arrive late
5/23 MK
5/24 HS (star wars weekend, but that's ok with us!)
5/25 EP
5/26 'break' day. Explore resort, pool and DTD.
5/27 MK (this is Memorial day and you are probably better off avoiding MK this day, but it's our last day and we like to go to MK on our last day. So we'll grin and bear it!)
5/28 Heading home
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
DisNikki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2jack View Post
5/27 MK (this is Memorial day and you are probably better off avoiding MK this day, but it's our last day and we like to go to MK on our last day. So we'll grin and bear it!)
For what it's worth there's a blog entry on TouringPlans.com that says Memorial Day has historically been a good day to go to MK. I guess people who are there for the long weekend generally go to MK on Sunday for the evening EMH and then either leave on Monday to go home or will go to a different park. Not sure how accurate that is, of course, but others' posts on the DIS seem to support that too (those that have been there over the same weekend in prior years). Anyway, we're going to MK that day and it'll be fun no matter what!

- Several trips as a child (off-site, Poly twice)
- 3/26-4/3/11 with FIL, BIL and his family - a total of 9 people! Stayed off-site at Orange Lake North Village
- Planning a trip for 5/24-6/3/2013, staying at CSR

DisNikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
hollygolitely93
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your first trip!!! There is a wonderful special needs bored that will help you identify rides your son with mild aspergers might be needing awareness of...does he have sensory issues? If so, I might suggest you bring headphones or ear buds for him to use...I don't think you will find he needs them except for fireworks or some shows (Indiana jones) and maybe the parades???

I might suggest you try the kids on big thunder road mountain to see how they like coasters...we found almost all the disney coasters to be very mild. My tween niece hates heights but fell I. Love with TOT and Space Mountain mainly because she couldn't see the heights...yet she refused to go on barnstormer (the kiddie coaster) so you never know...huh?

We priced out the dining plan both years. I painfully added up what we would most likely order at each restaurant and we literally broke even between that and the plan...so what the plan got us was snacks for free...and then we only used half our snack credits...ha! So I would say do it if the peace of mind of feeling like you have an inclusive vacation is important to you...you won't lose money...

We did photopass on all visits. We got our money worth the first time, we didn't the second (kept forgetting) and made a point to the third. The disney photographers will take pictures with your camera if you want just a few key shots with you in it. I would still probably do it again but, I'm a sucker that way

I would possibly try Epcot on your arrival day...Soarin and test track might be of interest...turtle talk is cute for the age of your kids...and if you bought six day passes you can stay for two hours and still get money's worth. We love the three cabanas boat ride (it is lame but we love Donald)

Them do a half day at AK and DTD for dinner. The kids will love the lego store and Goofy's candy shop...and the toy stores. T-Rex was quite the dinner experience but if your son has senosory issues check it out first on you tube. It was over stimulating for me but enjoyable!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Just so you know, you can change your tickets now to 4 day passes, THEN on your last day you can add days if you need them. There's no need to purchase the extra days "just in case."

Even if it's only $20 per person, that adds up to a nice meal or a bunch of souvenirs.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
danceteachermom
Mouseketeer

My kids loved Epcot at your kids' ages and my hubby loves it too. There is a lot to do there for the "non thrill seekers" and the park is bigger so it always feels less crowded even on crowded days to me. Nemo, Living Seas, Soarin, Innoventions, Agent P Missions.....all fun and really just one fast pass needed.

If crowds are what your hubby dislikes, I would be sure to be there at rope drop and get in a few or more major attractions on your list of must do's. Then you will not fall into the trap of feeling like you must stay all day and endure the crowds to get your monies worth. Take a break each afternoon at the resort for downtime.

Do rides with long potential wait times first in the morning or get fast passes.

In our family we just do AK for a half day. We like the safari, Lion King, and the bone yard but not much else. It always seems so congested and unlike the MK there just are not a lot of options around every corner.

Our trip this spring will include a lot of MK and Epcot.....one day at DHS and no AK. But we did do AK when I was n a work trip there in January.

Your boys are at great ages even if they do not like thrill rides. Do not overlook the Monster's Inc. attraction at MK. It has become a favorite of our son. He is almost 6 and he also loves Buzz, Pirates, People Mover, Small World, Pooh, Peter Pan, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain (tame as far as coaster's go).
danceteachermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
cougarfan84
Mouseketeer

Here's my 2 cents on the matter.

For going the short amount of time that you are, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a park hopper. Personally, I don't think the extra costs are worth it as you'd probably only use the hopper for one day. That being said, if you're at the park and decide you want to hop one day, you can always add the hopper option onto your ticket at any time during your visit.

Arrival day (Thursday): Arive; Epcot in the evening
Friday: Magic Kingdom
Saturday: Hollywood Studios
Sunday: Animal Kingdom
Monday: Magic Kingdom
Tuesday: depending on your flights, you could jump over to DTD to do some shopping before you leave.

As far as how long you stay in the parks, that would be completely up to you. If the parks are open late, it could be a good idea to arrive at RD, then take a break in the afternoon for lunch and a nap/pool time, and then head back to the park around dinner time and for the rest of the evening. That way you can avoid the hottest and busiest time in the park as well as keep yourself from wearing out during the time you are there.

As far as my opionions on the dining plan, I've heard a lot of people say that while the convenience of the plan is nice, it's not really as good of a value as you'd think. It takes a lot of effort and planning (and eating) in order to actually incur cost savings with the plan.

My advice is to take the money you would be spending on the dining plan and instead use it to pay for your meals out of pocket. For most people's typical eating habits, you'd probably end up saving money that way.
cougarfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
rachallyy
Earning My Ears

Thanks to all, and after more tweaking, pretty much following Cougar's list:

5/23: possibly Epcot or just resort
5/25: HS..have ADR SciFi Theatre for lunch
5/26: AK 1/2 day....DTD later that evening...have ADR Tusker for bkft
5/27: MK
5/28: any or EP

I need more ADRs but having a tough time deciding: would really like a character on the first MK day, but not crazy about the two MK availables. The Ohana bkfst has a limited menu so dont think that would work, and the Chef Disney doesn't have early bkft or lunch ressies available. So time wise that would screw the day up.

Any good recs for ADRs at DTD? probably not the Dinosaur one as it will probably be too loud for one of my kids as previous poster commented.

Thought about Hoop Dee Doo but their menu is really limited as far as kid fare goes.

Thanks to previous poster regarding the special needs thread, I will review that! I'm especially worried about my child with sensory issues and getting him on the airplane, ugh, gonna be rough I predict.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
rachallyy
Earning My Ears

After reading The Unofficial Guide and reviewing the rides/ shows at DHS, I'm changing the itinerary again, sigh. I think my kids would only be interested in the one toy story ride and one or two shows.

Thurs pm-? Depends on arrival time
Friday-MK
Sat-Epcot
Sun-Ak, followed by DTD
Mon-MK
Tues am- maybe HS

Tags
aoa, epcot, hopper, young children

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: