Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

When we did our non park days, we slept in, had a late character breakfast at Chef Mickey's then we wandered off property and checked out the outlet malls.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
JanB
DIS Veteran

One year we did a wildlife sightseeing tour on an airboat on Lake Kissimmee. Seems like the place we went was about a one hour drive from Disney. We saw lots of gators, birds, particularly bald eagles. We loved the tour and particularly loved that it was so close to Disney, yet it was so different. No crowds. Nothing man made, except for the boat. It was a small boat, with just our family and the driver. You are very close to the water, and you see lots of things close-up. We each had a radio headset with a microphone so that the tour guide could talk to us and so that we could ask questions. We enjoyed it a lot.
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
deuceswild10
Mouseketeer

When you say no park days, does that also include wateparks? I would hit Typhoon Lagoon and lay by the tidal pool all day.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Something I would like to do one day would be to drive south to the Disney Wilderness Preserve. I believe it is about a 45-minute drive.
I know nothing about the Disney Wilderness Preserve but really want to. Could you say more?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Last trip I didn't get a ticket for my first day since I was planning on doing some shopping off site.

Well I was there and checked in by mid afternoon, so I took a bus over to MK and then proceeded to take all the different monorails and boats around WDW. It was actually a lot of fun. YOu can hop on the resort rail and visit different hotels and look around and play at the playgrounds at the different resorts take buses to places you want to try the food courts at. Go to DTD and wonder around. Take a boat to DTD or back from there to one of the boat resorts.

Go see the fireworks from the bridge bwtween BC and Boardwalk. Watch them from the POLY beach or the Electrical Water Parade from the FW beach.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Head to a beach if that sounds good. Clearwater is where we plan to head for a day this year. We also had a blast last year at Sea World, but that's not the cheapest option.

The Boardwalk would be fun to tour. We've been to the Beach Club a couple of times and the Boardwalk looks so nice across the water from there.

Dan
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post
I know nothing about the Disney Wilderness Preserve but really want to. Could you say more?
The Disney Wilderness Preserve | The Nature Conservancy
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkerbell1973
We never leave WDW property when we go, but we wanted to do something different during our trip this September so we are going to do a day at Discovery Cove. Can't wait!!
Just came back from our first trip to Discovery Cove. One word - AMAZING! You will love it. I highly suggest it if it works in the budget. Our favorite part was actually the bird aviary.
WDW - CBR 5/14 The Summit
LoveToTravel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Sounds interesting. It seems pretty self-directed though. I guess I was expecting more of a guided experience.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

My wife and I just got back and we spent some time at Ft Wilderness and had fun. The horseback riding was fun (a bit pricey) and the archery was a lot of fun. That wasn't expensive at all. There were agers 10-50 all atthe same time and we all had a lot of fun.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer

I agree with the PP that suggested Port Orleans Riverside. We absolutely love it there and Yehaa Bob does put on a great show.

As far as activities for off days DTD is a great place to grab something to eat and do some shopping. The waterparks are both relaxing. If you are a little more adventurous, I would suggest going on a hot air balloon ride or heading over to Florida Ecosafari and checking out their activities. We went ziplining there, and we had a fantastic time!! Both of those activities usually take up your morning so you would have the afternoon and evening to go swimming and have dinner. You could always head over to DTD or the Boardwalk in the evening.

If your budget allows, Discovery Cove is amazing!! Definitely something you wouldn't want to miss if you had the opportunity.
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #27
DisneyDreamer2325
Mouseketeer

For a change of pace, my family enjoys orange picking.

http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/
DisneyDreamer2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
chartle
DIS Veteran

If staying at a DTD hotel I would tour the resorts but do it this way.

Go to the DTD bus stop and either do it one of two way. Either just get on the first resort bus that gets there or one from a certain level of resort like the first deluxe. From their take first bus to a park and then repeat. Since you have no where to get to at any particular time just wing it.

Of course if you really want to see a certain resort just work into your non plan.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Fishing is great at Disney.

Also-why not add park days for not a lot more per day?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

If you have a car, then take a day at the beach. We usually do Clearwater, and have a nice drive over the Sunshine Skyway for some difference scenery. Otherwise, shopping is something we really enjoy, because it's so different from the UK!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: