Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever
Would WDW parks really turn away their own resort guests?

I've never been at that most crowded times of year, but I always assumed that people staying on site would always be allowed access. I thought they would shut to outside guests long before real capacity to ensure their own guests access.

I just made that up in my head, never read it anywhere. It was always just an assumption. Was I wrong?
Yes, but these are among the last folks shut out. Worst case, resort guests are always able to go to a theme park--it just may not be the one they want under extreme circumstances.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post

I've never been at that most crowded times of year, but I always assumed that people staying on site would always be allowed access. I thought they would shut to outside guests long before real capacity to ensure their own guests access.

I just made that up in my head, never read it anywhere. It was always just an assumption. Was I wrong?
I'm sure they don't want to. But I'm also sure they don't want to exceed fire code capacity.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Yes, but these are among the last folks shut out. Worst case, resort guests are always able to go to a theme park--it just may not be the one they want under extreme circumstances.

Here's one that will stump you.

Resort guests go to MK in the morning, leave for a break, and return to a closed, at-capacity park. They do not have park hopper tickets. Will Disney upgrade them to go to another park?
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I'm sure they don't want to. But I'm also sure they don't want to exceed fire code capacity.
Yeah, that's why I had this made up scenario in my mind that they would close to outside guests before real capacity was reached.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:

Resort guests go to MK in the morning, leave for a break, and return to a closed, at-capacity park. They do not have park hopper tickets. Will Disney upgrade them to go to another park?
Probably not- they were given access to a park. They chose to leave. WDW held up their end of the deal

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Probably not- they were given access to a park. They chose to leave. WDW held up their end of the deal
That's pretty much how I view it myself. Was just seeing if I could stump mesa.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
mesaboy2

Quote:

These type of guests also have priority to enter that same park, but can still be shut out in the final phase of closing, where no one gets in. They will not be upgraded to a hopper per se, but would be allowed to finish that day at another park.

Gotta do better than that.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
These type of guests also have priority to enter that same park, but can still be shut out in the final phase of closing, where no one gets in. They will not be upgraded to a hopper per se, but would be allowed to finish that day at another park.

Gotta do better than that.
Thanks for the answer!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
mesaboy2

Quote:

Thanks for the answer!
Hope you have a great rest of your trip--I'm back home tonight.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I had this made up scenario in my mind that they would close to outside guests before real capacity was reached.
They do have staged closures:

Stage Zero - Due to limited available parking, Guests may be directed to alternate parking areas where they will use Resort transportation to travel to the park of their choice.

Stage 1 - At this stage each Guest in a vehicle must have a valid multi-day ticket. Also Guests with a Park Hopper or re-entering the Park, by showing a currently dated Parking Receipt, will be allowed in. Also, any Guests using Disney transportation are allowed.

Stage 2 - At this stage, Theme Park admission is limited to Disney Resort Guests*, Annual and Premium Annual Passholders, Guests with Park Hopper tickets crossing over from another Park, Guests re-entering this Park today. Guests with written confirmation of reservations for Dining or Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League within one hour are also admitted. Guests using Walt Disney World Resort Transportation will be admitted. Guests not meeting the above criteria are told the Theme Park has reached capacity.

Stage 3 - At this stage, Theme Park admission is limited to Disney Resort Guests*, Annual and Premium Annual Passholders. Guests with written confirmation of reservations for Dining or Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or The Pirates League within one hour are also admitted.

Stage 4 - Nobody is allowed in.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'd think the 4th of July might be the only day in that area where there could be issues, and then only with Magic Kingdom.

Quote:
If there is a stage 4 closure, nobody gets in. No resort guests, no annual passholders, nobody.

Onsite guests are promised access to a theme park. There are 4 theme parks. The odds of all of them being closed at stage 4 at the same time is so astronomical as to be nonexistent. So the onsite guest will get into a park - it just may not be the park they wanted.

I understand MK had a stage 1 closure last week (parking lot only) but stage 4 closures are very rare and usually are limited to extremely crowded days like Easter week or Christmas/New Years week, especially New Years Eve. Magic Kingdom is the most likely park to experience one. Epcot has such a large guest capacity that I can remember hearing they had a stage 4 closure only on December 31, 1999.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Chuck65
DIS Veteran

My cousin was at MK during NYE one year when it hit level 4. She said it was not a pretty sight.
2003 Port Orleans Riverside
2008 Port Orleans French Quarter

Nikon D5000
Chuck65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
They do have staged closures:

Stage 4 - Nobody is allowed in.
I would think that they almost always have make an exception for guests with dining reservations. I would be VERY unhappy to learn that I was charged as a "no show" at CP because I was refused entry to the MK when I arrived in plenty of time!

I also think that if the park to be THAT full, you will have a pretty good idea earlier in the day. If you start to see a huge line for HoP, CoP, and the TTA. It's like those, "You know you're a redneck if" jokes. You know it's a bad day at MK if you see an hour wait for CoP at 9:15am.

Watch out for the Daytona 500. It is Feb 24 this year. Another event to watch for is Daytona Bike week - March 8 to 17th. Especially if those two weeks also happen to coincide with a large cross-lower-48-states-blizzzard.
This past week was Mardi Gras, which also brings in folks.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

At a stage 4 there are no exceptions made. No restaurant reservations. Nothing. And yes, it counts as a no-show for credit card holds or prepayment. But as noted Stage 4 enclosures are rare. Bike Week is not going to cause one, nor did Mardi Gras.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

As a Disney resort guest you are only guaranteed access to A park.Not neccessarily the park of your choice.If MK hits a phase 4 closing, NO ONE gets in.Including those with pre-paid dining, and YES you can be charged as a no show.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: