Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #31
posh*tots* resale
Sleeping Beauty Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murron View Post
shushhhhh!!!!! September is still the wonderful a-hem "secret" ... we go after Labor day and it's heaven. We are also going in early May again this year. The Epcot Flower/Garden show does draw the crowds, but it will never compare to the chaos we had to experience when the children were young and the only time we could go was in (ugh ugh ugh) end of August. I think you'll find May is very do-able. EMH is not a consideration for us...but then again we are very early risers and EMH or not, we are usually at the parks early and in the resort pool by 2 p.m.
My lips are sealed!!!

2014 Pop Century 2013 Pop Century
2011 Port Orleans Riverside
2009 Port Orleans Riverside 2007 Pop Century
1985, 1984 & 1978 Off-Site
Me (43) DH (47) DS(9) DD(8)
posh*tots* resale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by posh*tots* resale View Post
I've been watching the boards the last few weeks & have noticed a LOT of posts on how CROWDED all the parks have been & how long wait times are for rides!!! I just don't get it!! Do you think this is because MANY of the people are on the FREE DINING PROMO that ends March 7th????? That's all I can think of. We've done FREE DINING in Sept. 2007, 2009 & 2011 & even at THAT time never experienced wait times such as those that are being posted. We are going May 4-12 are are PAYING for dining this time around (really goes against my grain to do this) but I'm hoping & PRAYING that the parks aren't as busy as NOW since the FREE DINING promo & SPRING BREAK will be over. UGH!!!
Two words: F - L - E.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #33
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

We have been to WDW several times in February before and never before have we seen crowds like this past week. It was more crowded and hectic than peak summer season trips we have taken. The tour groups were overwhelming, more so than ever before for us. The cheer and dance girls were there but not causing any problems, all the loud cheering, crowd stopping groups were BTG. We also did not realize schools had off for mardi gras, that does not happen near us. Winter break here, if we have one in Presidents' Day and possibly the week of
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

We were there 2/5-2/12. Apart from the first three days of our trip it was very crowded. I do think new FL is a big draw. We were some of the first people to get in line for ETWB on a Wednesday at RD and still waited 20 mins.starting over the weekend, the parks were flooded with Louisiana visitors. We were some of the only people not wearing green, gold&purple. I know Pres day is busy so we planned to avoid it. No idea Mardi Gras would bring crowds. We saw wait times of 90 mins for Pooh on 2/10. Even DS6 said, "that's crazy!" Another consideration might be Daytona 500?

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
Prince Eric's Mom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_n_pooh View Post
We have been to WDW several times in February before and never before have we seen crowds like this past week. It was more crowded and hectic than peak summer season trips we have taken. The tour groups were overwhelming, more so than ever before for us. The cheer and dance girls were there but not causing any problems, all the loud cheering, crowd stopping groups were BTG. We also did not realize schools had off for mardi gras, that does not happen near us. Winter break here, if we have one in Presidents' Day and possibly the week of
I agree. We just came back. Saturday MK closed to capacity in the afternoon. Was told by a CM that other than the obvious holiday times that hasn't happened in the 10 years he'd been there! Sunday was crazy, too! This was NOT at all like the other visits we have had during this same time period.
Prince Eric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #36
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Not sure if it was Friday or Saturday, but at one point late morning there was an hour wait for the monorail from the TTC to MK!
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #37
blebert
Mouseketeer

I hope they crowds die down the first week of March. I was one that took advantage of the FR deal 4 days for $129. We will be in the parks Monday the 4th through Thur. 8th
Hoping this list will grow
My Favorite Disney Memory is getting to spend a weekend at Disney World with Rascal Flatts when they were first coming out.
blebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #38
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

A friend was there last week and also said it was crazy crowded!

Our first day in the park is 2/27. Touringplans is showing a 3 for that day as well as 2/28. Hope it's accurate!

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #39
posh*tots* resale
Sleeping Beauty Junkie

I was watching on TV this morning "LIVE with Kelly & Michael" and they are broadcasting their show all week from Disney. Early this morning at the MK, it looked soooooooooooooooooooooo crowded on their show. YIKES~~!!!!!

2014 Pop Century 2013 Pop Century
2011 Port Orleans Riverside
2009 Port Orleans Riverside 2007 Pop Century
1985, 1984 & 1978 Off-Site
Me (43) DH (47) DS(9) DD(8)
posh*tots* resale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
cc-atl
Mouseketeer

People could not believe the crowds in January either.

I think the main reason is the FLE. I imagine quite a few people put off their 2012 trips until 2013 in order to see the new fantasyland.

Also, the traditional school year is becoming less common. Educators are coming to believe that it might be better for students (and their ability to retain material) to have more smaller breaks through out the year and less of a summer break. As a result you are seeing lots of school systems give weeks off in February (either for Presidents Day or Mardi Gras or just as a random winter break).
cc-atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #41
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

My school was incredibly lucky in that we didn't lose our "February break" because of all the days we lost over Hurricane Sandy.

Four of the teachers I work with are at WDW at this very minute with their families.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #42
mikerobrewer
Disneymaniac

Leaving tonight for a short 3-day trip. Hopefully the crowds will die down a bit but it is just the wife and I and there is nothing that we must see so we'll deal with whatever crowds are there.
mikerobrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-atl View Post
I think the main reason is the FLE. I imagine quite a few people put off their 2012 trips until 2013 in order to see the new fantasyland.
I keep seeing this in posts on various threads...and I just couldn't agree less.

I think if I went around to my whole neighborhood, knocked on doors, and asked people what they thought about the Fantasyland Expansion, 98% of people would have no idea what I was talking about.

If you search the Dis, there are threads from every single year talking about the crowds on "Presidents Week." (I just looked at one from 2003 reporting a Stage 4 closure.)
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
A friend was there last week and also said it was crazy crowded!

Our first day in the park is 2/27. Touringplans is showing a 3 for that day as well as 2/28. Hope it's accurate!
We arrive on 2/24 and are also hoping the "3" holds up for the dates you mention. We picked our dates based on the crowd prediction. The other days are showing 5 or 7 which also would be doable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by posh*tots* resale View Post
I was watching on TV this morning "LIVE with Kelly & Michael" and they are broadcasting their show all week from Disney. Early this morning at the MK, it looked soooooooooooooooooooooo crowded on their show. YIKES~~!!!!!
On another thread it was mentioned that the shows are not "live" but were already recorded so that whole stage setup should be removed by now.

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #45
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
I keep seeing this in posts on various threads...and I just couldn't agree less.

I think if I went around to my whole neighborhood, knocked on doors, and asked people what they thought about the Fantasyland Expansion, 98% of people would have no idea what I was talking about.

If you search the Dis, there are threads from every single year talking about the crowds on "Presidents Week." (I just looked at one from 2003 reporting a Stage 4 closure.)
I have to agree with you there. Mardis Gras, Presidents Week and Tour Groups are by far the major culprits in these crowds. And for as long as I have been a member people have warned about Presidents week, often putting it in the same breath as "Christmas" and "Easter" for crowd levels. I don't think the new FLE is helping any mind you, but I've never been under the impression that these were good weeks to go.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: