Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #61
Meekogsd
Mouseketeer

I noticed today WDW website doesn't even list the segway tours anymore.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #62
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Oh nuts. We were due to do an Epcot Segway tour on Friday, and I was really looking forward to trying the new one.

There must be some potential safety issue (or in Disney's world, litigious) for them to cancel all the tours without notice, immediately. It will annoy a lot of guests though, so I hope there's a good reason.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #63
fadingjamie
Up next... Mother/Daughter Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
There must be some potential safety issue (or in Disney's world, litigious) for them to cancel all the tours without notice, immediately.
I would like to think this is the reason too but if the Wilderness segway tour is still going, that might not be it. Unless the safety has to do with increased pedestrians in the World Showcase... which is annoying since the official opening time is supposed to be 11am.

We're looking forward to doing this tour on our honeymoon in July. What a bummer..

June 2001 Off Site (Grad Night), March 2009 POP, June 2010 Give a Day, Get a Day program (NCL cruise day trip), May 2011 POFQ (we got engaged!), July 2013 Poly/POR (our honeymoon!), Upcoming: August 2014 POFQ (mother/daughter trip)

fadingjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #64
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

It may be model related. I think the ft Wilderness tour is the only one to use the XT/X2 all-terain model, while the epcot tours use the i2 style.

I've done both tours, and found the Epcot tour to be fun for a WDW fan, but the Wilderness tour was much better from a Segway riding perspective.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #65
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Mouseplanet has an interesting article on this in it's weekly WDW park update. Scroll down about half way to see the article:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10180/Wal..._Resort_Update

Makes as much sense as anything else we've seen so far. Maybe more.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #66
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren71 View Post
I have a Segway tour scheduled in Epcot for 2/28 for a party of 5 and have not heard anything about a cancellation. After reading this thread, I called WDW-TOUR to verify. The CM I spoke to knew nothing about the cancellations, nor did the CM she spoke to a Guest Services. She did say that "Live With Kelly & Michael" was filming at Disney next week 2/18-2/22, so maybe that's why tours were being cancelled?

For those that received phone calls, what was the date of the tour that was cancelled?
I just wanted to say welcome to the DIS!!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #67
joelkfla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1946 View Post
That was six years ago!
And an older model which is no longer used by WDW on tours (though there may be a few still knocking around for cm use.)
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #68
joelkfla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I would think Segway's would be on the list for evaluation. I don't have one, but I can reasonably anticipate that as the batteries age, they would be more prone to the deep-cycle recharge malfunction...

Their use as a motor power source is quite different than most laptops, cell phones and other consumer electronics.
The batteries are easily replaceable (though expensive, I believe over $1,000 for a new set.)
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #69
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
Mouseplanet has an interesting article on this in it's weekly WDW park update. Scroll down about half way to see the article:

If that's true, I'm going to pat myself on the back for making the right guess.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #70
Tormania
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Oh nuts. We were due to do an Epcot Segway tour on Friday, and I was really looking forward to trying the new one.

There must be some potential safety issue (or in Disney's world, litigious) for them to cancel all the tours without notice, immediately. It will annoy a lot of guests though, so I hope there's a good reason.

Andre
My gut says a Segway rider collided with a pedestrian possibly (no proof, just a theory) and Disney determined the liability inside the park just wasn't worth it anymore. Less chance of pedestrian issues at Ft Wilderness I assume. Again, all just conjecture by me at this point. But that would be exactly how Coroprate America would respond if such a thing happened.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #71
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post

I too think it is connection to the law suit outcome of 2012. Though it was in favor of Disney, the use of Segways on property may not be in their best interest. It eliminates a posible future challenge that could again reference this tour program, which already has a share of accidents. It doesn't even include all of the near misses where tour participants almost hit guests on foot.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #72
DisneyElite4
Mouseketeer

Sad news, but I can understand the decision. Glad we got to do this in 2007!

August 2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ October 2006: Beach Club ~ November 2006: Walt Disney World Swan Hotel ~ February 2007: Boardwalk Resort ~ March 2007: Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ April 2007: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ August 2007: Old Key West Resort ~ September 2007: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ February 2008: All Star Movies ~ March 2008: Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ April 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ July 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort ~ November 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter ~ April 2009: Port Orleans French Quarter ~ June 2009: Disney Wedding/Grand Floridian Resort ~ March 2010: Pop Century Resort ~ August 2010: Royal Pacific Resort ~ October 2010: Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village ~ June 2011: Grand Californian Resort ~ October 2011: Old Key West Resort ~ December 2013: Wilderness Lodge Villas
DisneyElite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #73
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

I have this tour booked for DD and FDSIL honeymoon for April... When I heard about it being cancelled I called IPO and was told they are cancelled through March 10th but they don't know why and they are hoping it's just a renovation... and that they will be up and running. This is prepaid and there was no mention of canceling anymore after March 10th or a refund. Fingers crossed it continues!

~Nannette

nannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #74
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette View Post
I have this tour booked for DD and FDSIL honeymoon for April... When I heard about it being cancelled I called IPO and was told they are cancelled through March 10th but they don't know why and they are hoping it's just a renovation... and that they will be up and running. This is prepaid and there was no mention of canceling anymore after March 10th or a refund. Fingers crossed it continues!

~Nannette
That would be great news for us! We are scheduled for a March 12th tour. I have not heard anything from Disney about ours being cancelled, so I will cross my fingers!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
2014 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #75
bloodonthesaddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMouse
I too think it is connection to the law suit outcome of 2012. Though it was in favor of Disney, the use of Segways on property may not be in their best interest. It eliminates a posible future challenge that could again reference this tour program, which already has a share of accidents. It doesn't even include all of the near misses where tour participants almost hit guests on foot.
If it was a liability issue the tours at Fort Wilderness would be cancelled as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: