Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Disney Promotions and Celebrations--Current Promotion: Limited Time Magic
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
ssleblanc
How many posts until I'm not a Mouseketeer anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithDW View Post
Stay out of shops, trade pins, and trade vinylmations. On our last trip (for 10 days) we went into the shops only twice, once at the resort and once after POC. The pin and vinylmation trading made it where they got something new all the time and they never really asked for anything. We also took some Disney hats and other souvenirs with us, so if they asked we could say we have that back in the room.
How do you avoid the shops where rides exit through the shops? We only went into a gift shop purposefully once, and that was in search of something specific. But most rides exit you through a shop. Is there an alternate exit? That is where I have the hardest time with my kids. My 3 year old's Eeyore Pillow Pal is courtesy of the Winnie the Pooh shop/exit. (that said, she loves that thing and has slept with it every night since).

I got the older kids each a gift card with their spending limit on it. It included extra snacks (above/beyond snack credits on DDP), and souvenirs. When it was gone, it was gone. My daughter is only 3, so she can't be responsible for a gift card and didn't exactly understand the limit, so I had a harder time with her. But we made it through without TOO many extras.

One thing I do is plan on pressed pennies as souvenirs. Each kid had their own tube of coins. When a ride exited into a shop, I could often find a nearby pressed penny machine (in or just outside the gift shop). I'd re-direct ... "oh look, here is another pressed penny machine - time for a penny!". That distraction would pull them away from whatever junk/gift they just HAD to have, and they ended up without something commemorating the ride. (This tactic was more important and more effective with the 3 year old ... the tween/teen boys were on to me, but also had their own gift card and budgeting to worry about.)
1974 - Disneyland, stayed with relatives; Thanksgiving 1984 - Offsite (back when WDW was EMPTY on Thanksgiving); Summer 1992 - Disneyland, stayed will relatives; October 1996 - Offsite; October 1998 - 25th Anniversary Celebration, ASMu, September 2006 - Coronado Springs; February 2013 - Mardi Gras at Port Orleans Riverside
ssleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: