Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Disney Promotions and Celebrations--Current Promotion: Limited Time Magic
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We give each of ours $50 (or whatever we decide on) to spend, and that's it. They are welcome to spend their own money (birthday, etc), but we've found they choose much more carefully when it is their own money they are spending.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
disneyfanlincoln
Mouseketeer

Before my last visit I was full of good intentions. I explained to my DD that we would not be buying lots perhaps 5items each, so she was to look at what she wanted and choose her favourite things to buy at the end of the holidAy. This sounds good in theory. However I got there and my good intentions went out of the window, my fault entirely, I'm addicted to disney merchandise so yes I did buy that kermit the frog hat as it was an essential purchase which went with the kermit t shirt and picture, that went with the toy dinosaur that went with the baby simba, that went with Eyore that went with the salt and peppers pots and you can't go to WDW without buying pins.... I could go on - you get the picture, I need help.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
littlejen22
Mouseketeer

One thing per day. And have them each bring something from home, a Mickey stuffed animal or Princess doll so they do not need more of those things you do not want anyway. I also hope to bring their own light up toys an our old mister fans so we do not need to re-buy. I mostly avoid gift shops but some rides like Winnir and Figment put you right in them. My kids will be 6.5 and 4.5 and we went exactly two and three years earlier, my my little one has always wanted more than my older one so we shall see. It also helps that we have season passes for Sesame Place and go around a dozen times a year and probably get two things a year.

littlejen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
ObsessedWithDW
GoingEveryYear

Stay out of shops, trade pins, and trade vinylmations. On our last trip (for 10 days) we went into the shops only twice, once at the resort and once after POC. The pin and vinylmation trading made it where they got something new all the time and they never really asked for anything. We also took some Disney hats and other souvenirs with us, so if they asked we could say we have that back in the room.

Summer/'87-Off Site, 6/'05-Movies-Dalmations, 2/'11-Pop-70's, 6/'12-Sports-Homerun, 6/'13-BLT/AKL-Jambo
6/'14-OKW/VWL

AUTHORIZED DISNEY VACATION PLANNER
ObsessedWithDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

When I was little at Disney, my parents always set limits on what we could get, vacation or not. My mom would give me and my sis the choice of which stuffed animal we could get. Or if there were little plastic figures, she let us pick out which 5 we wanted, but we were never just turned loose to pick out whatever we wanted. It was fair and we never knew any different. Looking back now I'm sure it was for budget concerns. They knew how much they had to spend but still wanted us to have a souvenir. She would simply say something like "ok girls, you can each pick out a stuffed animal" and we were so excited to have a new Disney friend to sleep with us that night and we ended up with quite a collection over the years.!

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
lyra2007
Mouseketeer

I guess I'm the meanie! And cheap. I just tell her no. Early on I steered her toward collecting postcards for each place we visit--so 25 cents, maybe? She will get to pick one per park when we are at Disney. She is so into them she really doesn't ask for anything else.
I don't buy the dollar store stuff because it's junk. The last thing we need in our house is more junk. I'd rather buy her a $20 stuffed Dumbo that she will truly love. She will get one good thing at the end of the trip. If I bought her something every day, I think it would devalue it and lose its specialness--she'd be more interested in what she's getting next than it what she has.

But as I said, I am mean and cheap. We're more about the experience.
lyra2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Have to agree with the "just say no" crowd. You are the parent and are the one responsible for teaching your children limits. If they are too young to understand $$$, then simply tell them that they can't have one today, but if they behave themselves they can get something before they go home.

If they, or you, can't restrain themselves, then perhaps the best thing is to keep everyone out of the gift shops as much as possible, so the temptation isn't there in the first place. When I'm on a diet, I don't hang around the candy shops.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

1st step is to set a mental budget in your mind of what you can spend per child..... This is a MUST!
You don't need to share it with them.. But it will help..

This is what we have done..

Opt. 1.. Give them a $ limit.. But because you have younger kids I understand why you may a little worried about this

Opt. 2.. When my DD was younger I would tell her she could have

1 hat ( her choice)
1 pin or small trinket ( her choice) maybe those light up thingy... B/c for some reason kids have to have these!!
1 plush or under $30 toy.. ( if they pick something to high, try to show them other items.. )

This will give them the freedom of choice, but will still have limits..

I arrived on these item based on what we have bought in the past..
Most younger kids want at least one hat, one toy, and maybe one other little thing..

I don't Know how many days you are going
But you could break up the shopping trips into three different time..

Day 1-2 get an ear hat..I recommend doing the hat shop.. B/c it only has hats!
Just the feeling they get to pick whatever they want overwhelms them a little. ( in a good way)

Day 4-5 small trinket ( find a small shop or toy cart for this)

Last day.. Let them get their big toy.. depending on how much you are wanting to spend... ( we limit to $30.00)

You need to make sure BEFORE you enter the store that they understand they are getting ONE item for this to work...
. If they are having a hard time understanding this do NOT go in until you feel they fully understand it is one item ONLY..

Hope this helps

What to add... We stay out of the shops with our kids... unless we shopping for these few item..
Normally DH will take the kids for an ice cream bar and watch a parade why I shop!
Then I send my stuff to the front of the park and pick it up on our way out..

Last edited by Lorilais_mommie; 02-18-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #24
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

It is funny because my kids never want to even stop and look at things or ask to buy. They just want to go go go.

Their only favorites are Star Tours and POTC and we usually get a cheap sword.

I would flat out say no souvenirs and you behave nicely we will get something at the end of the day or trip.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
mum2four
DIS Veteran

I would suggest bringing a gift card for each child's souvenir money so that you have a set limit. Even if the child does not understand that concept, the gift cards will help mom and dad stay on budget (you'll think twice when the gift card is gone and you have to pull out extra cash).

Another tip is to just stay out of the stores when you are in the parks. On our trips we set aside a "souvenir shopping" time, either at DTD or at the resort if the one we're staying at has a good selection. That way, the kids use up their money all at one time, they understand they have spent all their money, and they don't ask to go shopping again for the rest of the week (at least that has been our experience). Plus, by doing all the shopping at one time, you can visually show them what their options are. For example, "You have enough money for these two big toys or these four smaller toys", and let them help you make the decision.

If they continue to ask you to buy them more stuff after their money is gone, just say no. Maybe they'll throw a little fit, but more than likely it will be short lived - they're at Disney World!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Izzieheartscindy
Mouseketeer

As a mom of a 5 year old and almost 2 year old I can totally understand where you are coming from, OP. What we did last year was limit the time in shops and what works at home is what we did at Disney. I tell DD5 to remember that item and we'll keep looking to see if there is anything else she likes. If it's not something I want her to have I try to get her excited about something else. If that doesn't work I'll tell her that we will remember that item and come back later and hope that she gets into something else somewhere else. Then if she asks about the first item later on I'll tell her you got the second item so that was what you picked today. But again, I agree with just try to stay out of store as much as possible and prepare them ahead of time with what you will let them get.

Izzieheartscindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

My kids never want to shop or beg for toys, but we usually tell them they'll get a toy on our last day.

Although there are the occasional occurrences of waiting in lines with horribly misbehaving children who are reeking havoc (climbing over railings, cutting through the lines chasing each other, going through multiple bars to see the Potato Head at TSM, trying to get our kids to join them, etc) and we have rewarded our kids for being so well-behaved and calmly standing and waiting to get to the front of the line - but those weren't promised rewards for good behavior, just surprises for them for being such good kids - they had no idea their manners would get them anything, so they loved it.

If we make it to DTD, they are allowed to pick out one thing there - but only one - and that can be from the Disney Store or Lego Store or wherever they want.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
disfan4life1
Mouseketeer

I always put so much cash into an envelope marked spending for each person( usually$50). They know when it's gone, it's gone. I've never had a problem. I do however usually buy one item in secrecy and give to them when we get home( shirt usually). They are also allowed to bring any money that they already have to spend. They also are responsible for their own snacks if they feel they need one every time we pass a snack stand. I usually buy the meals and one snack a day.

December 1995 All Star Sports
December 2000 Port Orleans Riverside
October 2001 All Star Movies
June 2002 Off site
November 2002 All Star Sports
November 2003
2004 Pop Century
May 2007
March 2010 All Star Movies
May 2011 Pop Century
October 2011 Coronado Springs
September 2012 Pop Century
disfan4life1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

my kids have always had gc that they recieved for Easter or b-day (both are close to the times we visit) thats the $$ thy have to spend

Its normal for them to want and ask for things heck I want just about everything I see too

My youngest, at home wants something in every store we go into and I have to say no unless she happens to have some money then she can spend it. So I have always dreaded the WDW trip and her wanting something coming oiut of every store but I have to say just does much better there then at home here is what I have done with all my kids since they were 3yo:

T-shirt, autograph book, (or something I want them to have) I buy
With their money usually anywhere from $50-$100(depending on gc they recieve) They can get one thing a day...I do limit one stuffed animal per trip (we have so many at home) if by our last day they have enough $ to buy more than 1 thing they can.

This has always worked well so I'm sticking to it. My older 2 children I don't stick with this plan now because they know when its gone its gone most of the time they come home with $

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
GS for life
Mouseketeer

I agree with many of the prior people that you need to stay out of stores. Your oldest should be able to understand the concept that you have x amount of money and that is it. My girls are older now but starting at school age, they got only a set amount of $ to spend, often from birthday money. It is amazing what isn't bought when it is their money. We had a CM shocked that we would not be buying the photopass picture of my daughter and Jasmine, but she would have to and would only have this much left. Two years ago, my youngest was 7 and had a bag and money for the first time. She put that bag down at Seaworld (I was distracted by my husband giving me his stuff to get a coaster) and it was never to be seen again. It was obviously a child's bag but was taken. She lost all her spending money that day. It was a hard lesson to learn but it worked. We did buy a few things so don't feel too bad for her. And yes, we went over and over about keeping track of our things.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: